GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I am thinking of buying a Gamecube or Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/05/02 at 20:55
Regular
I have been thinking about buying a Gamecube or and Xbox and I was just wondering which one you guy's think is better.

The Gamecube has had some great feedback from owners but I am slighty put off by the N64. I had an N64 and I didn't really like it to be honest, I felt there where far to many kids games and I thought that overall there just weren't enough games. I have heard Nintendo have tried to put this right buy selling more games and they are aiming at the more older generation for their releases. I don't mind games like Sonic and Mario but their not the sort of games that I would go out and buy, but then on the other hand I have heard that Star Wars: Roque Squadron Leader is supposed to be excellent and Resident Evil is supposed to be a brilliant as well. So can people tell some releases that are due out on Gamecube please.

The Xbox has been given a bit of abuse from what I've heard, but with games like Halo and Wreckless I can't understand why. I haven't had a go of an Xbox yet as few people have them so can I get some feedback on this.
Tue 07/05/02 at 20:55
I have been thinking about buying a Gamecube or and Xbox and I was just wondering which one you guy's think is better.

The Gamecube has had some great feedback from owners but I am slighty put off by the N64. I had an N64 and I didn't really like it to be honest, I felt there where far to many kids games and I thought that overall there just weren't enough games. I have heard Nintendo have tried to put this right buy selling more games and they are aiming at the more older generation for their releases. I don't mind games like Sonic and Mario but their not the sort of games that I would go out and buy, but then on the other hand I have heard that Star Wars: Roque Squadron Leader is supposed to be excellent and Resident Evil is supposed to be a brilliant as well. So can people tell some releases that are due out on Gamecube please.

The Xbox has been given a bit of abuse from what I've heard, but with games like Halo and Wreckless I can't understand why. I haven't had a go of an Xbox yet as few people have them so can I get some feedback on this.
Tue 07/05/02 at 21:14
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
This debate could go on for days and days on end. There are so many factors to consider that it's not even worth your while listening to us sing the praises of our respective "favoured" consoles.

My opinion? Go for the GameCube. That's the console I most enjoyed playing (and subsequently went out and bought) and that's the one that I feel is most likely to provide the best gameplay over the coming years.

That's not to say the Xbox is a poor console, just that if you have to make the choice, that's the one i'd advise.

Oh, and don't let the N64 put you off. This is an entirely different package, and you shouldn't think anything of what happened with Nintendo's past console.
Tue 07/05/02 at 21:32
Ok cheers mate
Tue 07/05/02 at 21:42
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I'd go for a Game Cube personally. The X-box is a good machine however I know of a lot of people that are now getting tired of it simply because of the lack of games out on it, and I don't see a big difference between that and The PS 2 and the x-box seems to be re-realising everything on the PS 2. The GC has come down in price and if you like Nintendo im sure you'll enjoy it, Games like Super Monkey Ball, Star Wars Rougue and of course the Mario/Luigi epics are worth a few rounds on.
Tue 07/05/02 at 23:34
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
AbsoluT Neó wrote:
> I'd go for a Game Cube personally. The X-box is a good machine
> however I know of a lot of people that are now getting tired of it
> simply because of the lack of games out on it, and I don't see a big
> difference between that and The PS 2 and the x-box seems to be
> re-realising everything on the PS 2. The GC has come down in price
> and if you like Nintendo im sure you'll enjoy it, Games like Super
> Monkey Ball, Star Wars Rougue and of course the Mario/Luigi epics are
> worth a few rounds on.

I too see major similarities between the Xbox and the PS2, and as I already have a PS2, that's what first influenced me to look at the GC (which I eventually bought).

I think with the Cube you get a console that is VERY different to the Xbox/PS2, and if you already own one of those two, the GC is definately worth purchasing.
Tue 07/05/02 at 23:46
Regular
If you really aint that sure without asking for our opinions your best bet is to go down to your local Toys;r;us or whatever and have a go on both.
Tue 07/05/02 at 23:50
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Or†ega wrote:
> If you really aint that sure without asking for our opinions your best
> bet is to go down to your local Toys;r;us or whatever and have a go on
> both.

Hmmm, yeah that's all well and good, but it's hard to judge on a 20 minute playing session. Plus, chances are unless they have a multi-game demo in it, you'll only have one game to play.

Sure it's okay to look at the console close up, use the controller, and get a feel of the quality of the games, but opinions from those with the consoles are still the best way to really get a knowledge of the consoles.

Definately go and have a play of both, but don't judge the consoles JUST on what you play during that time. Use it with the opinions of friends, us on the SR forums, and articles from an unbiased source (eg not Official Nintento Magazine or the Microsoft equivalent)
Wed 08/05/02 at 17:17
Or†ega wrote:
> If you really aint that sure without asking for our opinions your best
> bet is to go down to your local Toys;r;us or whatever and have a go on
> both.

I think I might have to do that. From the opinions so far I have to say that at the moment I am more interested in the Gamecube and as I have a PS2 I might just be persuaded to go with the Gamecube, but lets wait until I go to play them.
Wed 08/05/02 at 17:24
Visit my "which IS better" topic. You will find all you need to know. Including the meaning of life, if anybody would care to ask...
Wed 08/05/02 at 17:26
Regular
The Xbox games release list for the coming year is bleak and empty, don't waste your money.

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.