GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web site Biulding ????????//"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/05/02 at 19:26
Regular
Hey

I would like to make my own website but dont know how. I see all you advertising your own websites and wounder how you made it. How do you create it and what equipment do i need.

thanks for your help
Tue 07/05/02 at 19:26
Regular
"^^^New Online Arcad"
Hey

I would like to make my own website but dont know how. I see all you advertising your own websites and wounder how you made it. How do you create it and what equipment do i need.

thanks for your help
Tue 07/05/02 at 19:55
Nearly everyone who create sites on this forum knows HTML. You can learn this at a site like www.webmonkey.com. You can make sites without any scripting knowledge at all. You could get Dreamweaver, it's the best WYSIWYG editor out there (www.macromedia.com). You should also get Fireworks from there as it's probably the best graphic manipulation program around.

If you want to learn HTML, you can code in notepad, or you could get 1st Page 2000 (www.evrsoft.com). This is better because it has syntax highlighting and a preview button.
Wed 08/05/02 at 11:12
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Teach yourself HTML is the best start :o)
Wed 08/05/02 at 12:49
"Darkness, always"
Don;t bother with Dreamweaver until you've already learnt HTML and some JavaScript (preferably some CSS too), otherwise you'll never be inclined to learn, and will be reduced to making amateur-looking "homepages".
Wed 08/05/02 at 16:53
Regular
"Bobba you"
Go to sign up for Yahoo, then for a free web site and you dont need to know no HTML codes. You upload stuff :)>
Thu 09/05/02 at 12:41
"Darkness, always"
don't even think about doing a web sit if you don't know how to code HTML, or you'll make a crappy site using geocitis' PageBuilder, and every hit on your site will produce two things:

1) hilarious and uncontrollable laughter from the user
2) a note in your "snazzy" guest book telling you how utterly pants your site is.
Thu 09/05/02 at 13:35
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
:d I used Dreamwevaer for a while before taking the time to learn HTML now i'm kinda sorted with it it's much more fun than using Dreamweaver.
I don't think you can make decent websites without knowing it.
If you want people to goinsane viewing your source code use Dreamweaver and Frontpage it's always a mess, writing it yourself is useful in that sense, also it makes the pages load faster as those programs add a lot of useless script.
Fri 10/05/02 at 19:41
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I personally prefer to write the source codes myself, because the programs usually become incompatible with new scripts and commands when new browsers, script and commands are introduced. If you want to use a program liek Dreamweaver, then fine. It doesn't bother me, but I'd recommend learning it for yourself, so you can be a lot more creative and break the limits that the programs restrict you to.

Go to http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com to find out how to use the code to make a website.
Sat 11/05/02 at 10:55
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Fogmaster wrote:
> I don't think you can make decent websites without knowing it.

So how do you think we coped beforw the advent of DW. it's only been around since 1997 and people were creating sites way before then. I know of one agency who still code everything in notepad and they're producing some of the UK's leading edge sites...

> If you want people to goinsane viewing your source code use
> Dreamweaver and Frontpage it's always a mess, writing it yourself is
> useful in that sense, also it makes the pages load faster as those
> programs add a lot of useless script.

DW has a lot of tools for optimising code... stop preaching about a programme untill you know how to use it properly, and I mean properly.

Try Commands > Format code or even Commands > Tidy HTML all of these will formatthe code nicely to how you want, even removing irritating "redundant code" at the same time, most of which is there to enable the FW-DW roundtrip to work. Dreamweaver is very powerful, ie..

Since its debut in 1997, Dreamweaver has become the industry standard solution for web development, currently holding nearly 80% of the market for professional web development tools. It's only people who don;t know how to use it properly who find it hard and slant it.

I still use notpad, its flexible and simple and always good, and before DW, I used to code all of my sites by hand in notepad. DW makes my life easier, the roudtrip integration with Flash and FW, the wealth of available plug-ins for in through DW Exchange, and now the ability to use XML, xHTML and easy "live veiw" data base integration.

It only screws your code if you let it, but it only takes a couple of minutes to go through your final code before launch to tidy it up.

As for FrontPage... Pah!! This is evil!!

My only comment... dont use WYSIWYG untill you can produce by hand... you'll never learn HTML unless you use it... Soon you;ll be able to code in your head, how many of you can do complex nested table layouts without the aid of a PC?

Half of the producers that work under me have always built using WYSIWYG which was fine untill something goes wrong with their page, ask them to look through the source code and they haven't got a clue. IMHO these people shouldn't be making web sites!

Get note pad, got to w3.org and visit Kevin Warebachs Bare Bonze Guide to HTML...
Mon 20/05/02 at 16:57
Tyla wrote:
> So how do you think we coped beforw the advent of DW. it's only been
> around since 1997 and people were creating sites way before then. I
> know of one agency who still code everything in notepad and they're
> producing some of the UK's leading edge sites...

Ahhh, lots of wisdom from Tyla... As always. I agree that you should learn to hand code before anything else, but just because you hand code, that does not mean that you will automatically build the best sites! That agency which hand codes everything, it probably takes them longer to code so they charge the client more. I reckon the most effecient way is to do it in DreamWeaver, then if it breaks, fix the particular bit of code...

Anyway, I remember back when Cyberstudio ruled, you could only get it on the Mac, and Dreamweaver was narey a glint in Macromedia's eye...

BTW, I bought the latest Cre@te Online, not a bad issue, I find myself flicking through it and cooing at the lovely websites, but not reading it too much ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.