GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where have all the gimmick matches gone?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/05/02 at 18:29
Regular
I don't know about you but I loved the old gimmick matches - cage, table, ladder, hell in a cell etc etc. Where have they gone? My personal view is that, when competing against WCW in its heyday, the WWF felt they had to try and pull something special out. As there is no longer that threat, they don't bother. But I think that this is making their program less interesting, as gimmick matches made things interesting and could also freshen up fueds.

What does everyone else think?
Tue 07/05/02 at 18:29
Regular
I don't know about you but I loved the old gimmick matches - cage, table, ladder, hell in a cell etc etc. Where have they gone? My personal view is that, when competing against WCW in its heyday, the WWF felt they had to try and pull something special out. As there is no longer that threat, they don't bother. But I think that this is making their program less interesting, as gimmick matches made things interesting and could also freshen up fueds.

What does everyone else think?
Tue 07/05/02 at 18:53
As long as it's a mixture. At one point last year we had TLC, Cage and Table matches all the time, and not very much wrestling. Now we seem to have loads of single matches though.

Singles are fine, they show off people's talent and they have to make a great match without weapons or gimmicks. But to have as many as the latest PPVs had is a little absurd...

But still, Vengeance was the best PPV I've ever watched.
Tue 07/05/02 at 18:56
Regular
I agree with most of Ants points there. Singles are good and do show off talent but the WWF hasn't exatcly been making them brilliant.

Oh and Ant get to KR topic where hes giving away his wrestlers and reply please :D
Tue 07/05/02 at 19:05
Regular
"Where's SR?"
Cage matches are still quite common as Triple H and Kurt Angle had one on Raw quite recently. The route the WWE (I remembered) is more towards traditional wrestling with the added ingriedient of a ridiculous amount of interference.

A gimmick match should definitely be used to settle the Edge vs Angle fued rather than just a "haircut" stipulation. Surely the result should be decided by a ladder or a cage match which are always more brutal than a normal singles match.
Tue 07/05/02 at 22:26
Regular
"..."
The thing with gimmick matches is, they becoming boring if they're over-used. At the moment the WWF have the right idea. Use them sparingly and we will appreciate them more, rather than just accepting them as the norm.
Wed 08/05/02 at 14:10
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
SMACKDOWN SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

Triple H V Jericho - Hell in a Cell. Thoughts?
Wed 08/05/02 at 21:03
Regular
"Where's SR?"
Is that really a spoiler as it doesn't give away any results. I wish I could watch it. This only makes me more convinced Vince McMahon reads our forum.
Wed 08/05/02 at 21:06
Regular
More specifically, he listens to me.

:)
Wed 08/05/02 at 21:40
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Some people just don't want to know anything about Raw and Smackdown. I'm just making sure no one can complain at me.
Wed 08/05/02 at 21:44
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
A HIAC on Smackdown, after we havnt had one for years?

It'll be crap. Jericho wont do anything stupid, and HH damn well wont. It'll be a singles match with added hype.

You arn't going to have any gimmick matches (or spot matches, as you've only been refering to TLCs etc) anymore. Everyone has seen what happened to Jeff Hardy - a couple of years in which he wrecks his body, and he doesn't even main event.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.