GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Please help ASAP!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/05/02 at 13:42
Regular
I am getting a US XBOX console with Halo.

Most of the time, versions from the US or Japan have better features, so developers try to componsate for it in the UK by giving us something extra, like a 'Making Of' feature or 'Extra' constumes for your characters and different modes.

Here is the question that really bugs me at night...

If I can get XBOX games in the UK for £35 and XBOX games from the US for the same price (no extra charge for shipping) - what is the best thing for me to do; sell my XBOX and buy a UK one, or keep the US XBOX and buy imported games for the same price?

- PLEASE RMEMBER THE POINT REGARDING DIFFERENT FEATURES IN OTHER VERSIONS FROM THE US AND JAPAN - not souting :)

Thanks for your help
Tue 07/05/02 at 14:45
Regular
"95% organic"
I used to be an import-devotee. I had a Japanese Super Famicom back in the day, and progressed to a Malaysian N64. My Dreamcast was the first PAL machine I had ever owned... which has now been joined by my PS2...

My only problem with import games (apart from the obvious language problem with Jap version RPGs etc) is that they're not so readily available. Had I had an imported DC, for instance, I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of the Bargain Bin offers in my High St games shops. But I guess if you're the sort of person to import straight from the source you may not be concerned with that.
Tue 07/05/02 at 14:20
I do have a transformer

Anyway, thanks everyone - I guess it's a good idea to sell the XBOX and buy a UK version.

Hopefully, Datel or some company will develop an Import CD to play import titles on the UK XBOX, so we can play both versions and see which one is better to our liking - and let's not forget about the price (you see it cheaper on import...BUY IT!

Thanks for the help
Tue 07/05/02 at 14:11
"High polygon count"
Ninja Cowboy wrote:
> It's mainly the games that I am worried about.

Well, as I just told you - the UK games are/will be better.

Don't forget that you also have power issues - plugging a US Xbox in here is likely to make it go bang, unless you have the necessary power transformer.

Buying a UK system is altogether less hassle, and in the case of the Xbox, better for games too.
Tue 07/05/02 at 14:06
I am not that worried actually in regards to what the console itself offers in features, because both versions are the same.

It's mainly the games that I am worried about. If I buy one from the UK and one from the States, which is better and more worth the buy - I get them at the same price.

- I don't have contacts; just a friend who owns a small shop and allows me cheaper prices.
Tue 07/05/02 at 13:55
"High polygon count"
Ninja Cowboy wrote:
> But please can you tell me why

Because you get a better system all round.

The Xbox PAL-60 option means that you get games which run at the same speed as US games, but with the extra details allowed with PAL's higher resolution.

Due to arrangements made by Microsoft with developers, most games will be developed and optimised for PAL-60, so you will get the best version of the game.

The only game which actually suffers at the moment is Halo, which apparently slows down in PAL-60 mode, and is better run in PAL-50 mode.

There's a big article on this in the Official Xbox Mag, issue three. Buy that for full details.
Tue 07/05/02 at 13:54
"Darkness, always"
Firstly, to ensure you can satisfy the average penchant for impulse buying, by being able to walk down the road of a sunny day, pop into a shop (SR for example) and buy a game. Rather that then using either whatever shady contacts you have, or waiting as long as several weeks for a game than runs MARGINALLY faster, or other useless feature.

And I'm no expert at this, but I would guess if something goes wrong with your darling X-Box, you'll either have to pay more to get it fixed, or ship it off to the US.

Keep it simple. It may be "ordinary" to get your stuff from the UK, but fannying around for some tiny extra difference is just plain silly.
Tue 07/05/02 at 13:48
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Sell US X-Box
> Buy UK X-Box

-----

Okay - fiar enough

But please can you tell me why
Tue 07/05/02 at 13:48
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Sell US X-Box
> Buy UK X-Box

-----

Okay - fior enough

But please can you tell me why
Tue 07/05/02 at 13:46
"Darkness, always"
Sell US X-Box
Buy UK X-Box
Tue 07/05/02 at 13:42
I am getting a US XBOX console with Halo.

Most of the time, versions from the US or Japan have better features, so developers try to componsate for it in the UK by giving us something extra, like a 'Making Of' feature or 'Extra' constumes for your characters and different modes.

Here is the question that really bugs me at night...

If I can get XBOX games in the UK for £35 and XBOX games from the US for the same price (no extra charge for shipping) - what is the best thing for me to do; sell my XBOX and buy a UK one, or keep the US XBOX and buy imported games for the same price?

- PLEASE RMEMBER THE POINT REGARDING DIFFERENT FEATURES IN OTHER VERSIONS FROM THE US AND JAPAN - not souting :)

Thanks for your help

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.