GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Had a crack on a gamecube today"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/05/02 at 01:21
Regular
Ok, I'll try and remove and prior-Nintendo loathing and post honest thoughts.

Controller?
Awkward and too small for me, felt like I'd increased massively in size and it felt like it would break in my hands.

Games?

Rogue Squadron.
Good.
Graphics are extremely good. Controls a bit fiddly, but I put this down to my fear of snapping the thing if I moved it too hard or pressed to hard.
Sound is awesome.
Using that little buttong to look about is a top idea and gives some feeling of being involved with it.
I'd recommend this game without a doubt.

Sonic.
Gah.
Utter, utter toss.
For most of the level I played, I had zero control over him. I hit something and it rebounded me off into a wall, threw me down a track and kept me zooming along paths. I sat there for the best part of 20 seconds not touching the controller, and that little hedgehog did fine with no help from me.
Too fast, too loud and too "wacky"

Waveracer
Exactly the same as the N64 version, just with better graphics.
I couldn't be bothered with this one.

----

So, from someone that really had no intention of buying one before?
It's worth getting for Rogue Squadron, if the console + game were £80.
That's just my opinion, but I still wouldn't get one, as the only game that interests me is the Star Wars one and I've already got Jedi Knight 2 on the PC, which for pure Star Wars action still rules.

*shrugs*
It was alright, nothing special.
Not worth £130 for someone that isn't a Nintendo fan, you might as well spend the extra £70 and get a PS2 or Xbox unless you really really want a Cube.
Maybe when it comes down below £100 or there are other titles I'm interested in I'd consider getting one.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Halo again and UFC:Tapout.
Tue 07/05/02 at 01:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok, I'll try and remove and prior-Nintendo loathing and post honest thoughts.

Controller?
Awkward and too small for me, felt like I'd increased massively in size and it felt like it would break in my hands.

Games?

Rogue Squadron.
Good.
Graphics are extremely good. Controls a bit fiddly, but I put this down to my fear of snapping the thing if I moved it too hard or pressed to hard.
Sound is awesome.
Using that little buttong to look about is a top idea and gives some feeling of being involved with it.
I'd recommend this game without a doubt.

Sonic.
Gah.
Utter, utter toss.
For most of the level I played, I had zero control over him. I hit something and it rebounded me off into a wall, threw me down a track and kept me zooming along paths. I sat there for the best part of 20 seconds not touching the controller, and that little hedgehog did fine with no help from me.
Too fast, too loud and too "wacky"

Waveracer
Exactly the same as the N64 version, just with better graphics.
I couldn't be bothered with this one.

----

So, from someone that really had no intention of buying one before?
It's worth getting for Rogue Squadron, if the console + game were £80.
That's just my opinion, but I still wouldn't get one, as the only game that interests me is the Star Wars one and I've already got Jedi Knight 2 on the PC, which for pure Star Wars action still rules.

*shrugs*
It was alright, nothing special.
Not worth £130 for someone that isn't a Nintendo fan, you might as well spend the extra £70 and get a PS2 or Xbox unless you really really want a Cube.
Maybe when it comes down below £100 or there are other titles I'm interested in I'd consider getting one.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Halo again and UFC:Tapout.
Tue 07/05/02 at 01:31
Regular
Thats cool.

But you cant just go on 3 game before making the decision.

I havnt even got any of the 3 games you mentioned but I am still loving the console.

The Gamecube Controller is actually bigger than the PS2 controller...

I'd recommend you play Super Monkey Ball. Everyone seems to love that game and many people regard it as THE launch game. Purely for the multiplayer alone.

Luigi's mansion, as stupid as the idea of the game sounds, is great fun.

I'm happy with my Cube. Hopefully getting Rogue leader later on this week.
Tue 07/05/02 at 01:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
You really have to play super monkey ball, i cant sing its praises highly enough. It rocks!
Tue 07/05/02 at 01:37
Regular
And Gamecube seems to be a sell-out in my local area. Mate of mine went around quiet a few shops today and they were all sold out. Luckily I ordered two quiet a while back so one of my other mates who suddenly decided to want one had his urge fulfilled.

So If anyone does decied to want one now they are probably gonna have to wait until the next shipment. Which is in two weeks I believe.
Tue 07/05/02 at 01:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Or†ega wrote:
> And Gamecube seems to be a sell-out in my local area. Mate of mine
> went around quiet a few shops today and they were all sold out.
> Luckily I ordered two quiet a while back so one of my other mates who
> suddenly decided to want one had his urge fulfilled.
>
> So If anyone does decied to want one now they are probably gonna have
> to wait until the next shipment. Which is in two weeks I believe.

Yes indeed its true just about everywhere has chronic shortages.
Tue 07/05/02 at 07:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Or†ega wrote:
> The Gamecube Controller is actually bigger than the PS2
> controller...

You know very well that's a lie. In total volume, perhaps, but the bit you actually hold is tiny in comparison.
Tue 07/05/02 at 08:01
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Shortages are good though yeah? Well, Nintendo held back the release date because they wanted to get more GameCube's shipped to europe, and its still a sell-out? That has to be a good sign.

Reply to the original topic.

I have to digagree about the controller, its a lot more comfortable than a PS2/X-Box control, and why did you feel like you was going to brake it? I think their a sturdy, comfortable, great control. I HATE the PS2 analogues, I always think that I'll snap them off and they are not positioned in the right place.
Tue 07/05/02 at 09:05
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Dunno.
Same way as you don't feel comfortable with the PS2 analogue.
It just looked/felt like a Kinder-Egg controller.

Gamecube was alright, not saying it's crap but the games I played? Only Star Wars did it for me, and I would definitely recommend that one.
Can't say for all the games because I haven't played them all.

Rogue Squadron = excellent
The other two? Bah
Tue 07/05/02 at 09:07
Regular
"Not your monkey"
From the title (and seeing as it were your topic Goaty) I was expecting 'crack' to mean something entirely different. "I had a crack on a gamecube" would have had a whole new meaning!
Tue 07/05/02 at 09:28
Regular
"DS..."
I know your entitled to your own opinions goaty, and I agree with the rouge leader and sonic adventure 2 comments as i have Rouge Leader and It absolutely rocks and I knew sonic adventure 2 would suck on the GC even before I played it, But Wave Race Blue Storm, cack?, i'm just curious but how long did you play it for?, not having a go or anything i'd just like to know because really it's one of those games that you have to play for at least 30 mins - 1 hour before you can really appreciate it, allthough I understand you hated the original so maybe it does'nt apply to you ;) but if you have'nt allready, go and play it for a little longer and you may be surprised how much you may or may not like it.

I was pretty sceptical about it at first and thought that it would be all graphics and subsidised gameplay, that was untill I bought it and played it, and I was thankfully wrong, as it is a vast improvement on the original, not just the graphics either but basically everything has improved including the speed as I was'nt impressed by the original on the N64 partly because of the painfully slow pace and lack of challenge, but play it again (if you have'nt allready) and you may be pleasantly suprised! {:)

slik ~_~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.