GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Film] I Am Legend Film Review"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/02/08 at 22:27
Regular
"Soul Calibur RULES!"
The film I Am Legend is based on the 1954 novel by Richard Matheson and is a cross between Cast Away and Dawn Of The Dead. It's a refreshing spin on the standard Zombie movies we see today, and Constantine director Francis Lawrence does an excellent job in this third film adaptation of the novel. This is however the first film to keep the original title "I Am Legend", although the film does not exactly follow the original novel Francis Lawrence makes sure we enjoy the ride.

Staring Will Smith who plays Robert Neville, a virologist investigating a mutated genetically engineered virus that was originally praised as the cure for cancer. Most of the world's population has been wiped out, a small remnant have been turned into ravenous, infected Zombie like carriers, Neville lives a lonely existence with only a dog for company in the remains of New York City where the original outbreak occurred. Hunting, foraging, and exploring by day Neville shuts himself in at night. The infected (Zombies), as it turns out, are vulnerable to light.

The film uses flashbacks to show how Neville ended up in this situation, and how he's dedicated himself to finding a cure. Part of his research involves capturing infected humans for testing. In doing this Neville incurs the wrath of one of the local CHUDs and he soon finds out that the infected are not as dumb as they look.

At the beginning of the film there are plenty of scares as Neville encounters the infected and the monsters are revealed bit by bit, but once revealed it is hard to ignore their CGI-ness. The infected are not slow zombies like you see in old Zombie films, these infected are very fast, can climb and hunt in large packs, however when the zombies are in full-on assault mode they loose some of their scariness and the film resembles a more Action / Sci-Fi film rather than a Horror.

Will Smith, does a superb job of communicating the loneliness and desperation of the last man on Earth. His slow disintegration into madness is subtle and effectively portrayed, also the emotion of the character is displayed with genuine depth.

The script gives Smith plenty of help, at first. Screenwriters Mark Protosevich and Akiva Goldsman show plenty of restraint, teasing out the details of the genetically engineered virus and its outbreak over the course of the film while elegantly delivering Neville's interaction with this post-apocalyptic world.

Although a relatively happy ending the films final moments are packed with answers, the effect is rather underwhelming.

In spite of these shortcomings, I Am Legend is still a very powerful film. The production design by David Lazan and Naomi Shohan is amazing, rendering New York reclaimed by nature with stark realism. Will Smith is simply brilliant in a script where he is the only character for the majority of the film.

After all is said and done, this film is fresh and very enjoyable to watch.

My Score 4/5 Stars.
Mon 03/03/08 at 23:07
Regular
"Victory is mine!"
CliffBird wrote:
> Have you seen it?

I saw it last week and enjoyed it. It was one of those movies that afterwards it made me glad I had spent my time watching it. Unlike some movies I have seen that afterwards you think that was a waste of time.

'I claim this forum in the name of Jackalsb'
Sat 16/02/08 at 12:03
Regular
"Soul Calibur RULES!"
Garin wrote:
> Wouldnt hurt to credit the original author eh?

As he wrote the original book, I thought he deserved a mention. Even though the film differs from the original book.

Have you seen it?
Tue 05/02/08 at 05:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Wouldnt hurt to credit the original author eh?
Mon 04/02/08 at 22:27
Regular
"Soul Calibur RULES!"
The film I Am Legend is based on the 1954 novel by Richard Matheson and is a cross between Cast Away and Dawn Of The Dead. It's a refreshing spin on the standard Zombie movies we see today, and Constantine director Francis Lawrence does an excellent job in this third film adaptation of the novel. This is however the first film to keep the original title "I Am Legend", although the film does not exactly follow the original novel Francis Lawrence makes sure we enjoy the ride.

Staring Will Smith who plays Robert Neville, a virologist investigating a mutated genetically engineered virus that was originally praised as the cure for cancer. Most of the world's population has been wiped out, a small remnant have been turned into ravenous, infected Zombie like carriers, Neville lives a lonely existence with only a dog for company in the remains of New York City where the original outbreak occurred. Hunting, foraging, and exploring by day Neville shuts himself in at night. The infected (Zombies), as it turns out, are vulnerable to light.

The film uses flashbacks to show how Neville ended up in this situation, and how he's dedicated himself to finding a cure. Part of his research involves capturing infected humans for testing. In doing this Neville incurs the wrath of one of the local CHUDs and he soon finds out that the infected are not as dumb as they look.

At the beginning of the film there are plenty of scares as Neville encounters the infected and the monsters are revealed bit by bit, but once revealed it is hard to ignore their CGI-ness. The infected are not slow zombies like you see in old Zombie films, these infected are very fast, can climb and hunt in large packs, however when the zombies are in full-on assault mode they loose some of their scariness and the film resembles a more Action / Sci-Fi film rather than a Horror.

Will Smith, does a superb job of communicating the loneliness and desperation of the last man on Earth. His slow disintegration into madness is subtle and effectively portrayed, also the emotion of the character is displayed with genuine depth.

The script gives Smith plenty of help, at first. Screenwriters Mark Protosevich and Akiva Goldsman show plenty of restraint, teasing out the details of the genetically engineered virus and its outbreak over the course of the film while elegantly delivering Neville's interaction with this post-apocalyptic world.

Although a relatively happy ending the films final moments are packed with answers, the effect is rather underwhelming.

In spite of these shortcomings, I Am Legend is still a very powerful film. The production design by David Lazan and Naomi Shohan is amazing, rendering New York reclaimed by nature with stark realism. Will Smith is simply brilliant in a script where he is the only character for the majority of the film.

After all is said and done, this film is fresh and very enjoyable to watch.

My Score 4/5 Stars.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.