GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Networking Help - Pleasee!!!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/05/02 at 19:45
Regular
A friend of mine has networked together 2 PCs. One PC is about a 500Mhz with WIN 98 and one is 2000 mhz P4 with Win XP. Unfortunately the slow PC is the one connected to the cable modem directly, and use of the cable modem only reason he is networking them.

Anyway, all works well except for when using the internet, and the PC with win 98 will crash anytime between 3 mins and half an hour. Is starting to really annoy us now. Any ideas why this is happening?
Fri 10/05/02 at 15:00
Regular
"..."
Cheers for your help, he is still trying all these suggestions out! Will let you know how he gets on! Thanks again. :)
Fri 10/05/02 at 13:38
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Bonus wrote:
>Believe me, you can get a PC running windows and a PC running linux to >speak to each other.

Indeed, this is impossibly easy to setup.

How exactly are you sharing the internet connection? Ideally, you'd have one network card in your Win98 machine who's dedicated task is to connect to the other PC, and either another network card or a USB connection to your cable modem. That may well mean two network cards in your Win98 machine, which is the setup I have at home (bar me running XP instead).

Try reinstalling Win98 on the server (or WinXP if at all possible, as it's a lot easier to configure). Windows 98 isn't particularly stable at the best of times, and if you really muck about with the networking settings alot they can sometimes break themselves. A reinstall will put them back to normal.
Thu 09/05/02 at 14:33
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> well, with XP, you just click the button that says "setup windows
> XP internet sharing", so I have to disagree with you there Bonus.

All that does is set up a TCP/IP connection. You obviously don't know how to set up a manual network, or even how it works. Believe me, you can get a PC running windows and a PC running linux to speak to each other.
Thu 09/05/02 at 12:45
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
As Bonus says it dosn't matter what OS you are using, I have 4 computers (2 PC's and 2 Laptops) all networked through a hub, 2 run XP one runs Windows ME and the other runs 98. As long as you make sure that they use the TCP/IP protocol or NETBUI (TCP/IP is better choice)
It sounds like something is shutting the network down, check my previous post and answer the question there, maybe it is something there.

Is there anyway you can change the modem over to the other computer?
Thu 09/05/02 at 12:38
"Darkness, always"
well, with XP, you just click the button that says "setup windows XP internet sharing", so I have to disagree with you there Bonus.
Thu 09/05/02 at 10:49
Regular
Right, ignore the myths about needing to run the same operating system, they are lying to you.

As long as it's set up to use TCP/IP, then you wont have any problems.

I'll take it for granted that the system is up and running, and that it works fine for accessing the internet and transferrinf files.

All it sounds like is power management settings. If you leave the machine accessing the internet alone and it decides it want to put on a screensaver, or turn off the monitor, or even turn off the hard-disk drive, it may give you hassle.

Try setting all the power-management options to never, and see if you have any joy.
Tue 07/05/02 at 13:07
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Are you running any firewall software or internet security?
Also how is the network set up, through a hub or directly connected? What speed is the cable transfer between the PC's?
Also who is the ISP as some don't allow the use of their modems on home networks so the software you run from them could be shutting it off. All you really need is the drivers for the modem.
Tue 07/05/02 at 12:22
"Darkness, always"
Internet sharing is far easier to keep a grasp on if both PCs use the same OS. Is there no way the lesser PC can be upgraded to XP?
Tue 07/05/02 at 12:18
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
Maybe something simple. like needing the Win 98 machine a re-install.

I had no end of trouble with my internet sharing, reinstalled the main machine with the internet connection and its all fine now.

Is there no way you can try having the cable connection on the other machine and try sharing the other way around?
Mon 06/05/02 at 19:45
Regular
"..."
A friend of mine has networked together 2 PCs. One PC is about a 500Mhz with WIN 98 and one is 2000 mhz P4 with Win XP. Unfortunately the slow PC is the one connected to the cable modem directly, and use of the cable modem only reason he is networking them.

Anyway, all works well except for when using the internet, and the PC with win 98 will crash anytime between 3 mins and half an hour. Is starting to really annoy us now. Any ideas why this is happening?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.