GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bill Gates is a lying GIT!!!!!!!!!!!"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/05/02 at 04:28
Regular
The X-Box was always going to be the foremost contender for Nintendo-basher of the year. What with Sony quietly slipping away, and Sega finally giving up the ghost, the battlefield has been left clear for the most intense console war that you may ever see. The thing is, Microsoft is not experienced in the console market, and it's already beginning to show. The control pad, as expected, is uninspiring, looking remarkably similar to a Dreamcast pad.

But that was expected, right? The word Microsoft isn't exactly synonymous with innovation - more like borrowing and improving, or to be more accurate, cunningly creating an exclusive mass market. Mr Gates has no idea what Nintendo are up to, and this has forced him to have a dig at Gamecube's specifications. On the X-Box official web-site, you can view the X-box's all-important numbers compared directly to Gamecube and PS2. Here is an example of the statistics for you to look at;

X-box
CPU – 733MHz
Graphics Processor – 250MHz
Total Memory – 64MB
Memory Bandwidth – 6.4GB/sec
Polygon Performance – 125M/sec

PS2
CPU – 294.912MHz
Graphics Processor – 147.465MHz
Total Memory – 32MB
Memory Bandwidth – 3.2GB/sec
Polygon Performance – 66M/sec

Gamecube
CPU – 405 MHz Power PC
Graphics Processor – 202.5MHz
Total Memory – 40MB
Memory Bandwidth – 3.2GB/sec
Polygon Performance – 6-12M/sec

As you can see, it doesn't look good for Nintendo, but it wouldn't if any of it was based on in-game comparisons. Every machine works differently, so the fact that one console has a larger number than the other means nothing. As it happens, the Gamecube's CPU is based on the Power PC architecture, which works in a totally different way to a standard PC CPU. Putting the two numbers next to each other is just plain ignorance. Maybe they think that nobody will notice? In actual fact, one major developer has said, that Gamecube's CPU is easily equivalent to a 733MHz CPU. One down, several other misleading facts to go!

X-box supposedly has 21MB more memory than Gamecube. This is actually true, but Gamecube uses highly advanced texture-compression techniques. It doesn't need all that memory, and if you take into account all that extra space available after compression, Gamecube has tons more virtual memory than X-Box.

The most misleading and downright stupid looking comparison of all is in the polygon performance. What's that? X-Box is 11 times more powerful than Gamecube? Nintendo doesn't stand a chance. On the contrary, Nintendo has learned a valuable lesson - this time round, it's being realistic with its figures. The N64 had some awe-inspiring, polygon-pushing numbers when it was first announced, but it never came close. According to this data, the PS2 can push 66 million polygons per. second. So why is it that Ridge Racer V never goes above three million/sec? The cold light of day is that these figures are only true if there are no effects. Once you have a bunch of light sources, textures, and a decent framerate, that number immediately goes down to under 1/10th! This puts Microsoft's machine at around 12 million/sec. With EA Canada announcing that in benchmark tests (on Gamecube) they were achieving in the region of 15 million/sec with multiple effects and light sources, everything suddenly looks rosy again. 125 million polygons/second indeed!

Ok, so I’ve pretty much proven that technically, the Gamecube can more than hold its own in the coming console wars, but that’s only part of the battle. The console market is now full of huge publishers, whose games will more than likely be of the multi-format variety. So what is to stop Joe Bloggs buying an X-Box instead of a Gamecube? That’s where the exclusive software comes in. Nintendo is without doubt home to some of the most talented designers and programmers in the world. Its two main in-house teams, EAD and HAL Laboratory are responsible for franchises such as Pokémon, Mario, Zelda and Metroid, and that’s only to mention a few. Rest assured, there won’t be a shortage of awesome titles available from Nintendo themselves.

Then there’s the 2nd Parties, the developers in which Nintendo has a financial stake. Due to the financial tie, these developers will develop only for Nintendo’s consoles. At the moment, the list includes Rare, Silicon Knights, Left Field, NSTC and Retro Studios.

Last of all are the 3rd-Party developers. Microsoft recently released a list of 150 3rd-Party developers who it claimed were developing for its console. Many of these are also developing for Gamecube, Activision, Infogrames, Namco, Acclaim, 3DO, Konami and Capcom to name just a few.
As you can see, there are more than enough quality development studios working on Gamecube software, but whereas Microsoft is actively showing off what its machine can do, Nintendo has slammed Non Disclosure Agreements on everyone so that they can’t say a word until May. Roll on E3!
Thu 23/05/02 at 23:41
well said mate
Thu 23/05/02 at 23:13
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
A cable linking the GBA to the GC isn't exactly groundbreaking. The Neo Geo pocket was able to do this with the DC. Thing is, its nice to have that kind of thing, but how much Nintendo make use of this capability is yet to be seen. So far there doesn't seem much planned. Even if GC does go online, Nintendo have pretty much stated that its not really interested in the area, so your very unlikely to see many titles that have online capabilities - even then they will probably be very limited.

You mentioned those games, but what of those haven't we seen before ? Metroid looks like its going in a different direction, but most of them are same thing, new wrapping. Nintendo are relying on updates too much. I mean, everyone who owns an X-Box will want Halo 2, but we want other titles we haven't played before too such as Project Ego and Star Wars : Knights of the old Republic.

As for Final Fantasy 11, isn't that PS2 only ? With that game being online only, I seriously doubt Nintendo would bother with it anyway. Basically, as plenty of us have said, the GC is the next N64. It'll give you the games you've enjoyed on Nintendo systems in the past, but don't expect any big steps in gaming with the console because Nintendo are happy with the way they are doing things.
Thu 23/05/02 at 22:50
There all re-hashes

And I think those screenshots for the gc have been tampered with but thats just me. If they haven't I applude capcom and I will be getting it with my gc but can we quit this fan boy stuff
Thu 23/05/02 at 22:37
goood to you remebering all those facts big up too you!! can the Xbox deal with 8 different light source just have a look at any Resident evil demo to see the differance. Anyway what about all the Classic NINTENDO titles Metroid, Mario, DK, Joe DARK (the sexiest Console Babe) not to for get the rest of the gang. AND no nintendo doesn't only depend on these for top titles. THPS3, FFXI.

people say the Nin has lost it cutting edge what about the GBA link cable. the underconsle slots addons Internet options (if europe gets it is anothe matter?) will they do a memory upgrade again? i don't think so, with it have different addreess busses for evey seperate system. unlike the XBOX that uses a PC template only one address bar.
Thu 23/05/02 at 18:43
Regular
Not only that but let me reming you all this!

On the 18th April 2002 Microsoft announced their price cut and the console would go down £100 from £299 to £199 which would take effect from the following friday April 26th. Do you remember the posts from all of the ninties in this forum, if not here are some examples, " its only becuase it is not selling well ", " its like Bill Gates admitting defeat ", this was only a few comments but as you know there was a lot more than this.

Last night I recieved an e-mail confirming that the GameCube is coming down in price! LOL! YE THATS RIGHT PEOPLE IT IS COMING DOWN IN PRICE! Could this be Nintendo admitting defeat, are they failing! LOL, take it Nintendo fan boys, TAKE IT!

Not only this but... Microsoft with the X-Box corner at E3 have been given the award for most exciting games coming out this year! LOL, face it and don't come out with a load of rubbish about Nintendo and Mario becuase you bore me beyond taking a breath. Nintendo can not challenge Microsoft and nore can Sony. Sony have a better chance but the GC is an N64.2 and is destined for failure just as the N64 did.

Before you start I do have an N64 with 3 games, well I did till I sold it last month for £30 with 3 games, steering wheel, memory card and rumble pack! LOL, poor guy that bought it thats all I can say. X-Box is number 1 and "this town ain't big enough for the 3 of em" so Nintendo need to book a train out of town before we all book it for them! As "THE ROCK" himself would say " KNOW YOUR ROLE AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH " and this applies to all Nintendo fanboys, " IF YOU SMELL............. WHAT GARBE123 IS... COOKING!

(any one who wants to argue i'll stick around all year)
Thu 23/05/02 at 18:00
Even though that is serious fan boy stuff garbe

I AGREE! :p
Thu 23/05/02 at 17:01
Regular
LOL, you ninties are so sad! This is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever read, take it, take it, take it, the X-BOX IS THE WORLDS MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE! DOA3 delivered 20 million polygons PER CHARACTER! The levels contained 3 times this amount! Face it, the GC can only deliver 12 million TOPS, that includes all the backgrounds, characters and everythig else! FACE IT, the games on the X-BOX are pure amazing and all you Ninties are just trying to convince yourselves that you have chose the right console when you haven't. My friend has both and he says the X-BOX is far better and that is from an un-biased oppinioin as he loves Nintendo! X-BOX will conquer all and no challenges will even come close!
Thu 23/05/02 at 15:12
If you were in bills shoes you wouldn't be bothered would ya so give him a break
Thu 23/05/02 at 12:02
What... you mean the same way that STAC Industries successfully stopped Microsoft from pirating Stacker code into Microsoft's Doublespace (DOS 6.0)? And look what happened to them, and some 50 other companies?
Wed 22/05/02 at 23:13
well dont you think apple should of stopped him???

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.