GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fed up with Sony and their Pre-order system"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/10/00 at 19:42
Regular
I am really disillusioned with Sony, and am seriously considering ditching the PS2 altogether. It really saddens me to be saying this but at the end of the day they just seem to be taking us for a ride.

If you think about it, a global giant like Sony with a product shortage, i think NOT. Especially seeing as that product is supposed to be the future of gaming. They tell us that they were totally unprepared for the rush for consoles in Japan. WHAT! Don't they have opinion poles in Japan. I hope that they fired their public researchers for being stupid.

There is a rumour going round that they are about to announce another delay to the european launch. This is just a rumour, but when you look at Sony's record with the PS2, can you dismiss it without any thought? I know that i can't.

Also, i advised many of you to phone the Playstation Helpline to get a confirmation of wether you will receive a PS2 on the launch day, but i gather that they seem to have clammed up on the subject. Is this for internal protocol, or for more sinister reasons? Could this enforced silence be to stop the people on the line from being held responsible for mistakes, or because the date is about to change again?

You make your own mind up on this one.

I have owned a PSX since they first came out, and must admit that i am still impressed by the machine. I have held off buying a Dreamcast because i have been eagerly awaiting the PS2. But as anyone who has pre-ordered will tell you, it has turned into a nightmare. All i have to show for my £25 is a blue piece of paper, an e-mail and some promises that could very well turn out to be hollow.

I have defended the PS2 against critisism and have sung it's praises, i am still sure that it is the best console at the moment, but i have lost all faith in Sony. They would have to do something really massive to restore my faith, but why would they? Now, if i was living in America................Who knows.............!
Sat 21/10/00 at 19:42
I am really disillusioned with Sony, and am seriously considering ditching the PS2 altogether. It really saddens me to be saying this but at the end of the day they just seem to be taking us for a ride.

If you think about it, a global giant like Sony with a product shortage, i think NOT. Especially seeing as that product is supposed to be the future of gaming. They tell us that they were totally unprepared for the rush for consoles in Japan. WHAT! Don't they have opinion poles in Japan. I hope that they fired their public researchers for being stupid.

There is a rumour going round that they are about to announce another delay to the european launch. This is just a rumour, but when you look at Sony's record with the PS2, can you dismiss it without any thought? I know that i can't.

Also, i advised many of you to phone the Playstation Helpline to get a confirmation of wether you will receive a PS2 on the launch day, but i gather that they seem to have clammed up on the subject. Is this for internal protocol, or for more sinister reasons? Could this enforced silence be to stop the people on the line from being held responsible for mistakes, or because the date is about to change again?

You make your own mind up on this one.

I have owned a PSX since they first came out, and must admit that i am still impressed by the machine. I have held off buying a Dreamcast because i have been eagerly awaiting the PS2. But as anyone who has pre-ordered will tell you, it has turned into a nightmare. All i have to show for my £25 is a blue piece of paper, an e-mail and some promises that could very well turn out to be hollow.

I have defended the PS2 against critisism and have sung it's praises, i am still sure that it is the best console at the moment, but i have lost all faith in Sony. They would have to do something really massive to restore my faith, but why would they? Now, if i was living in America................Who knows.............!
Sat 21/10/00 at 21:28
Regular
I suppose I should say you shouldn't lose hope. But it goes all back to what someone once said:
"I don't mind the playstation, it's a great console. It's Sony that bothers me."

If you want to play games, wait for the console. If you are annoyed over the waiting times. Let Sony know. I could also say don't buy the PS2 in protest, but I'm sure many people would have already told you that.

I'm still standing by what I said mind, wait until mid next year to buy one. There will be a lot more games out, and the console will be cheaper.
Sat 21/10/00 at 22:25
> I am really disillusioned with Sony, and am seriously considering
> ditching the PS2 altogether. It really saddens me to be saying
> this but at the end of the day they just seem to be taking us for
> a ride.

Whoa, calm down matey! The situation hasn't yet deteriorated.

> If you think about it, a global giant like Sony with a product
> shortage, i think NOT. Especially seeing as that product is
> supposed to be the future of gaming. They tell us that they were
> totally unprepared for the rush for consoles in Japan.

It is quite possible. Remember that Sony are huge in Japan anyway, and the PlayStation has been extremely popular there. Even if Sony had forecast a large demand among existing PS1 owners, bear in mind that 30% of the buyers in Japan have bought the machine primarily as a DVD player; that's possibly 30% more people than Sony could ever have accounted for, which is bound to have some impact.

Demand is still high there, and Sony want to ensure that at least one of their markets is completely satisfied. Obviously, their home market of Japan will be their choice.

> There is a rumour going round that they are about to announce
> another delay to the european launch. This is just a rumour, but
> when you look at Sony's record with the PS2, can you dismiss it
> without any thought? I know that i can't.

Where have you heard this? I haven't. It is also possible that it is just another rumour started either by the competition, or fans of the competition. Remember, it only takes one b******t posting on a popular message board to start all kinds of hysteria; that's partly why I'm always keen to correct posts on these forums that I know to contain false info.

> Also, i advised many of you to phone the Playstation Helpline to
> get a confirmation of wether you will receive a PS2 on the launch
> day, but i gather that they seem to have clammed up on the
> subject. Is this for internal protocol, or for more sinister
> reasons? Could this enforced silence be to stop the people on the
> line from being held responsible for mistakes, or because the date
> is about to change again?

Don't read too much into it. Remember, the helpline is just that: a helpline; it was never supposed to give out this information. If news that people like yourself were given collection dates became widespread, the helpline would be jammed constantly. If Sony have put a stop to it, it's probably only to keep the lines clear for the helpline's intended purposes - such as calls from those who've pre-ordered but not yet received confirmation.

> But as anyone who has pre-ordered will tell you, it
> has turned into a nightmare. All i have to show for my
> £25 is a blue piece of paper, an e-mail and some
> promises that could very well turn out to be hollow.

Think about it... that's all you're supposed to have; the news that you should have a machine on launch day is a bonus you are fortunate to have.

Whether the pre-order system was really necessary or not, I don't know. But so far, IMHO, the pre-order system has been smooth, and has done exactly what it was supposed to do. You ordered, you have your confirmation, and you will hear from them again in the next few weeks, telling you (or in your case, confirming) when you can expect to get your machine.

I can understand your impatience, believe me. I would go so far as to say that there is no-one looking forward to this machine more then me, but I'm sure you will say the same!

But I honestly can't see why you suddenly think it's all gone horribly wrong. Nothing has changed between now and when you first pre-ordered. Come on, Kieran... chin up, mate!
Sun 22/10/00 at 12:00
Babylonian, Im afraid if you look at it, the UK launch of the PS2 is a trial by Sony, as the rest of Europe does not have the same pre-order system as we do in terms of securing PS2's. I think its a great machine, and a lot of rival companies are feeding anti-PS2 propaganda at the moment to try and disuade people from buying a PS2, but I do agree with Kieran on this one, this whole pre-order issue is somewhat of a farce, and thats probably putting it lightly. The Helpline was set up to answer questions about the pre-order system, and if you needed help, and I found it very frustrating when i could not get any information out of them. There is always rumour about delays and shortages, but it is true, because of Sony splitting PS2 manufacture and PsOne manufacture down the middle in Japan, they are unable to make enough PS2's to meet demand, especially in the US. I have a feeling that is why they are not telling the whole truth about when you will recieve a PS2, becuase SCEE feel that it is not worth getting peoples hopes up when they know there is a distinct possibility of there being no PS2's in this country on Nov 24th and the release put back, all down to stock shortages in the US and Japan. I wouldnt say that it as gone wrong, and I commend Sony for trying to prevent problems that arose with the Japaneese launch, but there should have been contingency plans in place a long time ago which would have been able to cope with such a high level of demand for the new system. I could have been done a whole lot better.
Sun 22/10/00 at 13:46
> Babylonian, Im afraid if you look at it, the UK launch of the PS2
> is a trial by Sony, as the rest of Europe does not have the same
> pre-order system as we do in terms of securing PS2's.

Yes, this has been introduced by Sony UK to save people having to queue in the streets on release day - it hasn't been imposed by Sony Japan. It is odd, though, because all they did was cause queues for the pre-orders. Is it really any different? I do question the need for it, but it's happened, so we just have to deal with it.

> but I do agree with Kieran on this one, this whole pre-order
> issue is somewhat of a farce, and thats probably putting it
> lightly.

I would agree if it had gone horribly wrong. I would call it 'unnecessary' rather than a farce.

I certainly agree, though, that it could still become farce - IF there is another delay. Even mild-mannered little me will be extremely hacked off if that happens.

> The Helpline was set up to answer questions about the
> pre-order system, and if you needed help, and I found it very
> frustrating when i could not get any information out of them.

No, sorry - you're wrong here. The Helpline wasn't specifically set up for this purpose - it's Sony's general PlayStation helpline. Check out:

http://www.sony.co.uk/customer/

...and you can see for yourself. It has nothing *specifically* to do with the pre-order system, although obviously they do have the info; it's only logical!

The helpline number doesn't appear anywhere on either the pre-order form or the pre-order confirmation letter. In fact, both of these documents tell you to speak to your retailer if you have any problems or questions about the pre-order system.

> I commend Sony for trying to prevent problems
> that arose with the Japaneese launch, but there should have been
> contingency plans in place a long time ago which would have been
> able to cope with such a high level of demand for the new system.
> I could have been done a whole lot better.

I'm sure it could have, but I'm just happy to know that I will definitely be getting a machine. If not for the pre-order system, with demand for the machine still high in Japan, we could all be waiting far, far longer than we currently are.
Sun 22/10/00 at 23:11
I know that nothing has gone wrong, and my mother always says that no news is good news, but Sony have never been the most credible of companies. Then again, i don't suppose they are alone in this category.

I'm just a controle freak, and suffer with mega-paranoia.
Mon 23/10/00 at 11:59
Right to calm down all your fears about the Playstation 2 pre-order process, heres the word straight from the horses mouth- direct from Sony.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, there is a lot of speculation and rumour
surrounding the launch of PS2. I'm afraid that at this time, we are unable
to inform any customer of when their PS2 will be ready for collection. We
have not confirmed that any PS2 will be available on launch date, as we are
unable to foresee every factual situation that may occur between now and
allocation of the units. The letters notifying of collection dates will be
sent out when stocks are ready for allocation, a couple of weeks before
launch date.

I apologise for not being able to provide you with any more information at
this stage, please await notification from SCE as to when your PS2 is ready
to be collected.

Regards,

Colin
PSUK Consumer Services
Wed 30/01/08 at 10:19
Regular
cvbc

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.