GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TO CD OR TO DVD, THAT IS THE QUESTION."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/05/02 at 17:48
Regular
I am the proud owner of a PS2 which I got for an early birthday present. The games are great but the other day I went round to my friend's and he has Robot WARS which is okay. My point being? Why do some game makers still use CD's instead of DVD's? Take robot wars for example, it's an okay game but it has slow, chunky menus. Surely if they made DVD's they could avoid that. It took us 2 mins to get fighting, then just under 2 mins of fighting (until my batteries failed) and then it took me another 3 mins to get fighting again. Why don't they just make a reamatch button like the one in multiplayer James Bond? If game makers just used the capabilities of the PS2 we could get much better, longer Games!!
Thu 02/05/02 at 17:48
"cheerios"
I am the proud owner of a PS2 which I got for an early birthday present. The games are great but the other day I went round to my friend's and he has Robot WARS which is okay. My point being? Why do some game makers still use CD's instead of DVD's? Take robot wars for example, it's an okay game but it has slow, chunky menus. Surely if they made DVD's they could avoid that. It took us 2 mins to get fighting, then just under 2 mins of fighting (until my batteries failed) and then it took me another 3 mins to get fighting again. Why don't they just make a reamatch button like the one in multiplayer James Bond? If game makers just used the capabilities of the PS2 we could get much better, longer Games!!
Thu 02/05/02 at 20:12
Regular
As if the media has *ANYTHING* to do with the quality of the menus that the programmers coded? If they are slow it's cos' the game is crap, not because they media is slow.

So, why do some developers still use CD? I'll tell you why:

- They are a *LOT* cheaper

PC games are getting rather large these days, but they still come on CD. DVD drives have been in PCs for years, yet games STILL come on CD. This must tell you something.

I have got a Messiah chip in my PS2 so I can play backups. Would you be surprised if I told you that I have got GT3, GTA3, SSX Tricky, Starwars Jedi Starfighter, and a whole host of other top games on CD? Go and buy the originals of these and you get them on CD, but my copies are identical, but on CD. This is because developers try to make in harder for the pirates to rip off the games. Look at a PS2 DVD an you will see it choc full of "ghost" files, duplicate videos that aren't even used, uncompressed video/music, and a whole host of other stuff to pad out the size of the game.

If it weren't for the pirates, 95% of PS2 games would fit on a CD, sometimes only taking up a quarter of the disk.

As it stands, pirates are always one step ahead and simply strip the DVDs of these unnecessary files and bingo, one game on CD that is easy to copy.
Thu 02/05/02 at 22:13
"High polygon count"
Matt2002 wrote:
> I have got a Messiah chip in my PS2 so I can play backups. Would you
> be surprised if I told you that I have got GT3, GTA3, SSX Tricky,
> Starwars Jedi Starfighter, and a whole host of other top games on CD?

I SO hope you filled in all your address details correctly when you registered.
Fri 03/05/02 at 00:19
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Matt2002 wrote:
>I have got a Messiah chip in my PS2 so I can play backups.

What a load of b*ll*cks, you haven't got a Messiah chip in your PS2 so you can play your backup copies of your games, you've got it so you can go out to your local market stall where they sell really cheap PS2 rip off games and then go home and play them.....true or false?

Yeah I hope you get caught but unfortunately it wont be you whose prosecuted, it'll be the total knob who's sold you a crappy version of the game. I myself am perfectly happy buying full priced games and if you can't afford it then save your money and stop ripping the games industry off!
Fri 03/05/02 at 03:58
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Duley reported, c'mon SR ban the 'Pirate'
Fri 03/05/02 at 10:45
"High polygon count"
AbsoluT Neo wrote:
> Duley reported, c'mon SR ban the 'Pirate'

What the hell were you doing up at that time of the morning?! You a vampire or something?
Fri 03/05/02 at 11:48
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Heh,

went clubbin last night, couldn't sleep so I thought id suck some blood...

muhahahha

:D
Sat 04/05/02 at 12:21
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
In response to the original post, the FIRST half of Matt's post was completely right...

The quality of the game has nothing to do with the medium it is stored on. The only difference is the amount of data you can store on them. Now, seeing as most of the space used by games nowadays is FMV scenes, games that don't have lots of pre-rendered footage don't warrant using more expensive DVDs instead of CDs.

In fact, loading times on CDs need not exist, as proved by 2 games...

Dead or Alive on the DC has NO loading times in game. All this despite the fact that the game would have to load up a whole never level to fight in after your last match! The way this was acheived was just by excellent coding.

Soul Reaver on the PSX had no loads in game either. this was despite the fact that the games was CD based and set in a massive RPG atmosphere. Again, this was down to EXCELLENT coding.

It just goes to show hat, if companies are bothered, they can significantly improve to quality of their games.

Sonic
Sat 04/05/02 at 14:11
Regular
"simpsons rule"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> In response to the original post, the FIRST half of Matt's post was
> completely right...
>
> The quality of the game has nothing to do with the medium it is stored
> on. The only difference is the amount of data you can store on them.
> Now, seeing as most of the space used by games nowadays is FMV scenes,
> games that don't have lots of pre-rendered footage don't warrant using
> more expensive DVDs instead of CDs.
>
> In fact, loading times on CDs need not exist, as proved by 2
> games...
>
> Dead or Alive on the DC has NO loading times in game. All this despite
> the fact that the game would have to load up a whole never level to
> fight in after your last match! The way this was acheived was just by
> excellent coding.
>
> Soul Reaver on the PSX had no loads in game either. this was despite
> the fact that the games was CD based and set in a massive RPG
> atmosphere. Again, this was down to EXCELLENT coding.
>
> It just goes to show hat, if companies are bothered, they can
> significantly improve to quality of their games.
>
> Sonic

well said
Sat 04/05/02 at 17:05
"For the horde!!!!"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> In response to the original post, the FIRST half of Matt's post was
> completely right...
>
> The quality of the game has nothing to do with the medium it is stored
> on. The only difference is the amount of data you can store on them.
> Now, seeing as most of the space used by games nowadays is FMV scenes,
> games that don't have lots of pre-rendered footage don't warrant using
> more expensive DVDs instead of CDs.
>
> In fact, loading times on CDs need not exist, as proved by 2
> games...
>
> Dead or Alive on the DC has NO loading times in game. All this despite
> the fact that the game would have to load up a whole never level to
> fight in after your last match! The way this was acheived was just by
> excellent coding.
>
> Soul Reaver on the PSX had no loads in game either. this was despite
> the fact that the games was CD based and set in a massive RPG
> atmosphere. Again, this was down to EXCELLENT coding.
>
> It just goes to show hat, if companies are bothered, they can
> significantly improve to quality of their games.
>
> Sonic

well put, i've learnt something new :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.