GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quick question about CDRW's..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/05/02 at 17:39
Regular
My friend has recently ordered a new Laptop and it is being delivered on the weekend. It has a CDRW drive which is what see wanted. She is going to use it to transfer her work from home to work. I told her you could do this as you can store your work on a disk through the CDRW drive.(You can only copy to a CDR disc once I am told> I think she'll buy a CDRW disc to store her work repeatedly. Will this work???)
Also, if she wanted to copy music to a disc what stuff (I am told a Burner thing...?) would she need and what type of disc could she use???

I know lots of questions but she needs help and I ain't got all the answers...

Cheers Guys...

__I'll be back later to check replies__

Why?
Fri 03/05/02 at 09:40
Cheers guys...

Great help

Why?
Fri 03/05/02 at 08:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Anahera wrote:
> Again with CD-RW disks select "Close Session" after writing
> to the disk.
> This will let the disk be read by most other CD drives. If you don't
> Close the session you might find that the CD-RW can only be read by
> the drive that made the CD.

Where did you read this? The only reason why normal CD drives can't read RW media is that the ink is not reflective enough...
Fri 03/05/02 at 03:56
Regular
"Ka mate! Ka ora!"
Why? wrote:

> (You can only copy to a CDR disc once I am told I think
> she'll buy a CDRW disc to store her work repeatedly. Will this
> work???)

If you copy data to a CD-R, You can add more data to the disk untill the disk is full.
To do this when copying data set the cd-burning options to:-
Close Session, But leave the disk open. Some software might call this Finalize CD. Therfore set options to Finalize Session, Don't finalize CD.

Again with CD-RW disks select "Close Session" after writing to the disk.
This will let the disk be read by most other CD drives. If you don't Close the session you might find that the CD-RW can only be read by the drive that made the CD.

Hope this helps A.
Thu 02/05/02 at 21:20
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Thu 02/05/02 at 20:14
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
When you specify an MP3 to write to a CD, the software usually has the nouse that you want to convert it to a WAV file and write it as tracks instead, so you end up with a perfectly normal CD that plays on any CD player. Note: It does not increase the length.

However, you can specifically tell the software to write the MP3 as data, ie. on an ISO filesystem instead of "tracks". Now you have a data CD, that contains MP3s (lots of). You can only play these on a PC, or special MP3-CD players, so you can have much more music than a normal CD.

Note: The methods in the above paragraphs both produce music of the same quality. MP3 -> Wav, although taking up much more space, doesn't increase the quality.
Thu 02/05/02 at 19:02
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Turbonutter wrote:

> Burning music CDs: Any bog-standard burning software can do this. The
> software that came with your CD burner should be able to easily.

If you put MP3s on a CD can you listen to them anywhere? I see some Hi-Fis/DVD players...etc specify that they play MP3 CDs, does this mean i'd need a special player to play them or would I have to change the file type? or am I just seeing too much and infact I can play MP3 CD s on any CD player.
Thu 02/05/02 at 18:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
CD-RW discs: Will eb able to write (or "burn") them many times, although some drives won't be able to read them. However, my prehistoric 4x drive seems to be able to, so I'm guessing most PCs can. However, a small amount of CD players seem to have this ability, so writing music CDs to them with CD-copying software is unlikely to work. You can play the music on PCs though.

CD-Rs: All drives can read these, but can only be written once. Good for music CDs.

Burning music CDs: Any bog-standard burning software can do this. The software that came with your CD burner should be able to easily.
Thu 02/05/02 at 17:39
My friend has recently ordered a new Laptop and it is being delivered on the weekend. It has a CDRW drive which is what see wanted. She is going to use it to transfer her work from home to work. I told her you could do this as you can store your work on a disk through the CDRW drive.(You can only copy to a CDR disc once I am told> I think she'll buy a CDRW disc to store her work repeatedly. Will this work???)
Also, if she wanted to copy music to a disc what stuff (I am told a Burner thing...?) would she need and what type of disc could she use???

I know lots of questions but she needs help and I ain't got all the answers...

Cheers Guys...

__I'll be back later to check replies__

Why?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.