GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"COD4 - Run problems"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare'.
Tue 29/01/08 at 19:00
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Has anyone had any problems running COD4 following a successful install? Attempting to play the game, or even to load it up, causes an applictaion hang. Any suggestions? PC is COD4 capable!
Tue 05/02/08 at 19:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Just a final note for interested readers.
Activision recently requested a sysinfo file to be created and dispatched, so that they could get to the cause of this problem - seems a rather long winded procedure just to get a game running.
I've played PC games since the early 90's and can solve most problems - like most - update drivers, gfx cards, computer specs etc etc but this I fear goes beyond the realms of belief.
God bless them for trying, but as I mentioned earlier, the game in question now resides on a returns shelf in some store and not on my PC. Here is their next suggestion:

Activision 4:

First I want you to completely stop all background programs from loading. Go to the start menu and select Run. Type in msconfig and press enter. Go to the startup tab. Uncheck everything there. You can also go to the Services tab and check "Hide All Microsoft Services". Now click the Disable All button. Now close and restart your system. After that I want you to go to start->settings->control panel. Double-click on Administrative tools. Now double-click on the services icon. In the list of services find the following:

Automatic Updates
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
iolo FileInfoList Service
iolo System Service
NOD32 Kernel Service
nTune Service nTuneService
Security Center
SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter)
Task Scheduler
TrueVector Internet Monitor
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Right-click on each one of these services and select stop. Now close all windows and try the game. Let us know how this turns out!

Some of these services have been added since the problem began, but nevertheless a bit of an overkill, even if they are only trying to see why the single player won't initialise.

Anyway, I leave it with you as future reference...
Fri 01/02/08 at 21:52
"There is onlyONE!!!"
sorry to hear it i hope your son didnt feel to bad about the defective gift
Fri 01/02/08 at 19:35
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Dragonlance wrote:
> Hi Garin, thanks for advice but tried it all.
>
> Activision suggest performing a clean boot - selective startup
> and clearing process System.ini file etc etc, disabling all
> microsoft services etc etc and reboot. Why fails me but tried it
> and the issue is the same!
>
> They, like me earlier, suspected a 'duff' dvd but who knows??
>
> Have also uninstalled and re-installed four times now - doesn't
> always work!
>
> Shall return to the drawing board and await further suggestions
> from the boys at activision

Activision2 replied to the above:

>Also, does this happen with multiplayer as well? if you have not >already done so, try to get to the main menu of the game using >the multiplayer executable.

Tried this suggestion and lo and behold , watched intro etc, really excited now! Multiplayer menu, blurred but just about readable, accessed single player tab and guess what, same problem.
Reported result to the Activision Boys...

Activision3 replied to the above:

>It sounds as if the game may not be trying to initialize when it >is going over into single player. When you press single player or >launch multiplayer and try switching to single player, can you >see or hear your disc drive trying to access the DVD?

The answer was no from the start. Had MOH Pacific Assault do this and sent it back - replacement, no problem with new one.

The problem seemed to be obvious from the start and you have to give the activision boys credit for problem-solving, but why just not admit that it's a bad copy!

The 'game' has already been dispatched to the Great Game Pile in the Sky and I've now received a refund.

What upsets me now, is not the obvious hard work that the activision boys are doing to solve the problem and can't seem to see that it's a knackered dvd and who in their right mind is going to go through all these hoops to prove just that, but that my youngest son bought it for me as a Christmas present.

That's life...
Wed 30/01/08 at 19:28
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hi Garin, thanks for advice but tried it all.

Activision suggest performing a clean boot - selective startup and clearing process System.ini file etc etc, disabling all microsoft services etc etc and reboot. Why fails me but tried it and the issue is the same!

They, like me earlier, suspected a 'duff' dvd but who knows??

Have also uninstalled and re-installed four times now - doesn't always work!

Shall return to the drawing board and await further suggestions from the boys at activision
Tue 29/01/08 at 22:11
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I'm assuming you've done the usual, latest gfx drivers and directx. Umm... tried installing the latest patch? 1.4 I think its the latest.

Just having a browse around it seems many people have sound issues that cause it to hang on start up. You might try disabling your audio device or at the very least making sure the driver is up to date.

Might be useful to know if the application error yielded anything specific like a filename too.

Sorry dont own the game so not much help. :)
Tue 29/01/08 at 20:53
"There is onlyONE!!!"
u may need to uninstall and reinstall could have been an in stall error
Tue 29/01/08 at 19:00
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Has anyone had any problems running COD4 following a successful install? Attempting to play the game, or even to load it up, causes an applictaion hang. Any suggestions? PC is COD4 capable!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.