GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is the fun still there?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/01/08 at 15:35
Regular
"Hello?"
Gaming is a form of entertainment and the industry has grown hugely in the last ten years. Do you ever think that sometimes we loose the fun element of gaming as the technology progresses? Yeah sure, we still enjoy the games and are amazed at the new titles that come out every year, but sometimes all I crave is to play a pick up and play game that’s simple and enjoyable.

Take the Crash Bandicoot games for the PS1, the graphics weren’t great compared to now, the story wasn’t very in depth and the controls were as simple as they could be. I loved it, hours upon hours I spent trying to collect all the gems and doing every level perfectly. The game had such a huge market it appealed to, a five year old could play it quite happily and do most levels, and for a more experienced gamer there was a challenge to get all of the gems. The developers really achieved the feeling of a 'fun' game here, and the little Bandicoot will always be a great accomplishment within the industry.

Don’t get me wrong I love how the gaming industry is progressing but I sometimes feel some games are over developed. It is well know that simple concepts work in everything not just gaming. For example everyone loves a cup of tea, but when it starts getting weird like flavoured tea the number of people interested in the flavoured tea decreases.

What I’m trying to say is some games need to stay simple and not try and get so complicated, it just spoils it. A series of games that have been a culprit of this for me are the Need For Speed games. I loved the first couple of games and thought they were great. It was simple; race do up your car and take over the streets with your driving skills. The latest game for the series Prostreet was awful in my opinion, it got very boring very quickly. It lacked the fun aspect and there was not that addictive feeling we all crave when playing a computer game.

I feel that sometimes when they are looking to add a new addition to a series the ideas of new parts they can add to the game are not very well thought out. I’d envisage that the developers sit around a table drinking beer until one of them comes up with an idea that sounds slightly good that will fill the game up a bit. I reckon that the thought provoking meetings about the new additions to a series are sometimes a struggle.

I guess it’s hard for developers to make the 2nd instalment of a series as good as the first. When a game comes out that’s the first of the series it’s all new and exciting, you’re learning about the characters all the time and the game has a fresh feeling. To me it seems like the fun factor of gaming is very hard to accomplish but oh boy is it great when it is achieved!

I hope that games will continue to grow stronger graphically as the technology gets better, I just pray that developers don't loose sight of the simple elements that make gaming fun for everyone. It's like they say 'looks aren't everything'....
Mon 28/01/08 at 15:35
Regular
"Hello?"
Gaming is a form of entertainment and the industry has grown hugely in the last ten years. Do you ever think that sometimes we loose the fun element of gaming as the technology progresses? Yeah sure, we still enjoy the games and are amazed at the new titles that come out every year, but sometimes all I crave is to play a pick up and play game that’s simple and enjoyable.

Take the Crash Bandicoot games for the PS1, the graphics weren’t great compared to now, the story wasn’t very in depth and the controls were as simple as they could be. I loved it, hours upon hours I spent trying to collect all the gems and doing every level perfectly. The game had such a huge market it appealed to, a five year old could play it quite happily and do most levels, and for a more experienced gamer there was a challenge to get all of the gems. The developers really achieved the feeling of a 'fun' game here, and the little Bandicoot will always be a great accomplishment within the industry.

Don’t get me wrong I love how the gaming industry is progressing but I sometimes feel some games are over developed. It is well know that simple concepts work in everything not just gaming. For example everyone loves a cup of tea, but when it starts getting weird like flavoured tea the number of people interested in the flavoured tea decreases.

What I’m trying to say is some games need to stay simple and not try and get so complicated, it just spoils it. A series of games that have been a culprit of this for me are the Need For Speed games. I loved the first couple of games and thought they were great. It was simple; race do up your car and take over the streets with your driving skills. The latest game for the series Prostreet was awful in my opinion, it got very boring very quickly. It lacked the fun aspect and there was not that addictive feeling we all crave when playing a computer game.

I feel that sometimes when they are looking to add a new addition to a series the ideas of new parts they can add to the game are not very well thought out. I’d envisage that the developers sit around a table drinking beer until one of them comes up with an idea that sounds slightly good that will fill the game up a bit. I reckon that the thought provoking meetings about the new additions to a series are sometimes a struggle.

I guess it’s hard for developers to make the 2nd instalment of a series as good as the first. When a game comes out that’s the first of the series it’s all new and exciting, you’re learning about the characters all the time and the game has a fresh feeling. To me it seems like the fun factor of gaming is very hard to accomplish but oh boy is it great when it is achieved!

I hope that games will continue to grow stronger graphically as the technology gets better, I just pray that developers don't loose sight of the simple elements that make gaming fun for everyone. It's like they say 'looks aren't everything'....
Mon 28/01/08 at 15:58
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
ProStreet is probably a bad example of what you mean. I suspect that was forcefully reinvented due to Burnout Paradise rather than any developer driven evolution of the game. They didnt want to miss out on selling a popular franchise yet at the same time they didnt want to release two open world games so close to each other.
I'd bet money NFS will be back to the old format next christmas.
Mon 28/01/08 at 23:21
Regular
"Hello?"
Garin wrote:

> I'd bet money NFS will be back to the old format next christmas.

Any more info on their next title in the series. Prostreet for me was just very routine, there wasn't much to keep you coming back for more, shame as it could have given burnout a run for it's money!
Tue 29/01/08 at 21:59
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Nothing has been announced as far as I know, I'd guess we've another 3 or 4 months before anything is announced. Assuming there will be a NFS this year that is, you never know, EA might surprise us. ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.