GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Personal web server"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/05/02 at 20:00
Regular
There's been a few discussions on this forum about personal web servers. You know, you want to check that your php script works, before FTPing it up to your web space.

I was using Xitami until recently, but then found Abyss (not sure why that name ... it sounds a bit negative somehow), at www.aprelium.com

It works, its free, and it only needs a little bit of help to work with PHP, all of which is documented. No, I'm not on commission. I just like to find things that do what they say.
Wed 01/05/02 at 20:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No it's not, watch:

Download Apache
Run Apache
Download PHP
Run PHP
Modify two lines in apache's httpd.conf, as instructed
Add two lines to apache's httpd.conf, as instructed.

All you need is a text editor and the ability to read...
Wed 01/05/02 at 20:17
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Hi Turbo

Maybe I don't understand Apache. All I want is a test facility for my scripts before they go up to Freeola. And Apache is a full feature web server, isnt it? So my view was that its over the top for my needs. Yes, it may be a cracking web server, but I'm not looking to host loadsa users with FTP and email and all that. I see Apache as something that an ISP would use, not me.
Wed 01/05/02 at 20:08
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I still maintain that Apache is the best. It's actually very easy to get running, it just LOOKS hard.
Wed 01/05/02 at 20:00
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
There's been a few discussions on this forum about personal web servers. You know, you want to check that your php script works, before FTPing it up to your web space.

I was using Xitami until recently, but then found Abyss (not sure why that name ... it sounds a bit negative somehow), at www.aprelium.com

It works, its free, and it only needs a little bit of help to work with PHP, all of which is documented. No, I'm not on commission. I just like to find things that do what they say.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.