GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What a busy night and an odd feeling"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/01/08 at 11:34
Regular
"RIP English_Bloke"
I just had a rather hectic night-shift. I came on duty at 6pm and went through all the usual routines such as testing my breathing apparatus set and checking the engine had all the correct equipment on it.

At around 7 we were called to a garage fire, which was a little awkward to get a hose to, (down stairs and then through a pretty smoke-logged underground area). I put it out and then ventilated the area. We left, arriving back at the station at around 7.45. I then helped our cook in the kitchen making a lovely risotto. Just as we were about to serve up we were called to “smoke issuing” from a flat in a fairly large block nearby. When we arrived my BA partner, Guvnor and I made our way to the flat. There was smoke coming from the top of the door so with the use of a sledge hammer we made our entry. My partner found the fire, which was in the kitchen situated at one end of the lounge. I was searching the lounge and found an adult male sleeping on the sofa. I tried to wake him with little success. I started to move him to lift him off the sofa and at this point he came to. He was blatantly drunk so I just about dragged him out of the flat.

Once he was more lucid I talked to him and it became clear he was more then just drunk, he was a total nut-job. He became very upset that we had taken him out of his flat, so once it was ventilated we let him back in. At this point he calmed down a little, until he realised what we had done to his front door that is. He then pretty much flipped out. Swearing, hitting windows and blaming us for just about everything that had gone wrong in his life. One of the guys tried to explain to him why we had to smash the door in, (a waste of time in my experience), because you cannot reason with people in that sort of state. My BA colleague and I took off our helmets and undid our jackets to try and seem less intimidating and made the guy that had wound him up leave. We kept him as calm as possible until an ambulance arrived and then let them speak to him because as far as he was concerned we were the “evil people” that broke his door. The paramedic was really excellent and got a good rapport going with him. The police then arrived and the man was sectioned.

It turned out the guys brother was murdered around this time 6 years ago and his partner died this time last year. He had taken a lot of cocaine, drunk a lot and was hoping not to wake up. We don’t know if the fire was intentional or just coincidental.

So it turns out the first person I’ve rescued from a burning building wanted to die. It’s a slightly odd feeling. When I got him out I felt overjoyed that I’d made a difference and saved a life, but then I find out that the guy is miserable and doesn’t want to live anymore. I’ve no doubt that I did the right thing of course. Not only is it my job, he is going through a hard time right now and given time he may decide he has things to live for, but the whole thing left me feeling a little strange.

After this we had a few more shouts. A fire alarm, bin fire and a smell of gas in a flat block. So all in all it was a eventful night.
Thu 07/02/08 at 20:56
Regular
"8==="
Flamewars
Wed 06/02/08 at 16:33
"possibly impossible"
Posted what exactly?
Wed 06/02/08 at 15:15
Regular
"8==="
More people should have posted on this.

That is all.
Tue 29/01/08 at 07:32
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
What about the risotto?

Only joking. ;-)

You did your job. To bad if he wanted to kill himself. You did what you had to do and will no doubt come across this situation again at some point. Even if you knew he was wanting to end is life, you wouldn't have left him!
x
Mon 28/01/08 at 20:28
Regular
"RIP English_Bloke"
Alfonse wrote:
> And seriously a bin fire? Sounds like they are treating you like
> the community support officers of the fire department.

We get called to us sorts of things I'd never call the fire brigade for. People stuck in lifts is a common one.
Mon 28/01/08 at 16:45
Regular
Sounds way fulfilling =|

Was the guy sexy anyway? I bet it would feel amazing pulling a sexy person from a fire.

And seriously a bin fire? Sounds like they are treating you like the community support officers of the fire department.

Chin up anyway, your job sounds really exciting.
Mon 28/01/08 at 11:34
Regular
"RIP English_Bloke"
I just had a rather hectic night-shift. I came on duty at 6pm and went through all the usual routines such as testing my breathing apparatus set and checking the engine had all the correct equipment on it.

At around 7 we were called to a garage fire, which was a little awkward to get a hose to, (down stairs and then through a pretty smoke-logged underground area). I put it out and then ventilated the area. We left, arriving back at the station at around 7.45. I then helped our cook in the kitchen making a lovely risotto. Just as we were about to serve up we were called to “smoke issuing” from a flat in a fairly large block nearby. When we arrived my BA partner, Guvnor and I made our way to the flat. There was smoke coming from the top of the door so with the use of a sledge hammer we made our entry. My partner found the fire, which was in the kitchen situated at one end of the lounge. I was searching the lounge and found an adult male sleeping on the sofa. I tried to wake him with little success. I started to move him to lift him off the sofa and at this point he came to. He was blatantly drunk so I just about dragged him out of the flat.

Once he was more lucid I talked to him and it became clear he was more then just drunk, he was a total nut-job. He became very upset that we had taken him out of his flat, so once it was ventilated we let him back in. At this point he calmed down a little, until he realised what we had done to his front door that is. He then pretty much flipped out. Swearing, hitting windows and blaming us for just about everything that had gone wrong in his life. One of the guys tried to explain to him why we had to smash the door in, (a waste of time in my experience), because you cannot reason with people in that sort of state. My BA colleague and I took off our helmets and undid our jackets to try and seem less intimidating and made the guy that had wound him up leave. We kept him as calm as possible until an ambulance arrived and then let them speak to him because as far as he was concerned we were the “evil people” that broke his door. The paramedic was really excellent and got a good rapport going with him. The police then arrived and the man was sectioned.

It turned out the guys brother was murdered around this time 6 years ago and his partner died this time last year. He had taken a lot of cocaine, drunk a lot and was hoping not to wake up. We don’t know if the fire was intentional or just coincidental.

So it turns out the first person I’ve rescued from a burning building wanted to die. It’s a slightly odd feeling. When I got him out I felt overjoyed that I’d made a difference and saved a life, but then I find out that the guy is miserable and doesn’t want to live anymore. I’ve no doubt that I did the right thing of course. Not only is it my job, he is going through a hard time right now and given time he may decide he has things to live for, but the whole thing left me feeling a little strange.

After this we had a few more shouts. A fire alarm, bin fire and a smell of gas in a flat block. So all in all it was a eventful night.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.