GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Horror, The Horror"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/05/02 at 12:13
Regular
Re-releases of films are often considered to be marketing ploys to try and extend the box office of past successes. This level of criticism could be levelled at the re-mastered Star Wars trilogy, which although added to scenes and improved the special effects really did little to advance the story line. This will no doubt be disputed by many, as a fan of Lucas’s space opus I still prefer the original edits. This is instantly what I thought when I heard that Coppola was re-editing Apocalypse Now and adding new scenes. Already in my top 5 list of all time, the film is the ultimate (anti) war film of all time. However, upon seeing the new edit on DVD I am still divided in my views. For this is not a simple re-edit of a classic film. With 49 minutes of extra footage added throughout the film the differences add to the plot, help to develop lesser characters and make the film closer to Coppola’s original vision.

The added sequences range from the insignificant to scenes that should never have been cut. The four major additions are the stealing of Kilgore’s surfboard, another encounter with the playboy bunnies, the French Plantation sequence and an extra sequence with Kurtz near the end of the film. The surfboard sequence appears directly after the helicopter attack on the Vietnamese village and acts as a perfect comic interlude juxtaposed against the horrors of the attack. While it does add little to the actual plot it fits into the film well at this stage and adds to a sense of camaraderie between the protagonists on the boat.

The scene with the Playboy bunnies occurs after they appear on stage. Willard and his crew meet up with them at a medievac camp and Willard exchanges some fuel with some time with the girls. This is a sequence that acts as a welcome romantic interlude during the trip up river to Cambodia. It could be argued that it slows down the journey, but with a film of such quality as Apocalypse Now it never seems dull and the length of the film is never a problem. After all if people can sit through dross like The Postman and Meet Joe Black they can surely find the time to watch a masterpiece such as this.

The French Plantation sequence is perhaps the biggest let down in the new edit in my view as it really does slow things down to an almost standstill. It begins with the burial of Larry Fishburne’s character that does fill in a gap in the narrative of the original film. What follows is a conundrum of different events. First there is a political conversation while Willard has diner with the French and then there is an erotically charged encounter between Willard and a young woman. This sequence is quite long and is shot almost like a dream maybe subversively suggesting that this is in fact the case. This was a disappointment and does not do anything to add to the film.

The final big scene is the new footage of Brando as Kurtz. This takes place with Willard in a steel box/cage and Kurtz reads some text from time magazine to Willard. This is interesting and any new scenes with Kurtz were always going to be welcome. The scene is more derogatory about America’s involvement in Vietnam and this is probably why it was not included at the time considering the political climate in 1979.

The Redux edit is a welcome addition to the mythology of the film but the original version is still my preferred choice. The narrative is tighter the intensity is maintained and the sense of danger is evident throughout. If you still love the smell of napalm in the morning than you will enjoy this cut but non- –subscribers to Coppola unique vision need not apply.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 01/05/02 at 12:13
Re-releases of films are often considered to be marketing ploys to try and extend the box office of past successes. This level of criticism could be levelled at the re-mastered Star Wars trilogy, which although added to scenes and improved the special effects really did little to advance the story line. This will no doubt be disputed by many, as a fan of Lucas’s space opus I still prefer the original edits. This is instantly what I thought when I heard that Coppola was re-editing Apocalypse Now and adding new scenes. Already in my top 5 list of all time, the film is the ultimate (anti) war film of all time. However, upon seeing the new edit on DVD I am still divided in my views. For this is not a simple re-edit of a classic film. With 49 minutes of extra footage added throughout the film the differences add to the plot, help to develop lesser characters and make the film closer to Coppola’s original vision.

The added sequences range from the insignificant to scenes that should never have been cut. The four major additions are the stealing of Kilgore’s surfboard, another encounter with the playboy bunnies, the French Plantation sequence and an extra sequence with Kurtz near the end of the film. The surfboard sequence appears directly after the helicopter attack on the Vietnamese village and acts as a perfect comic interlude juxtaposed against the horrors of the attack. While it does add little to the actual plot it fits into the film well at this stage and adds to a sense of camaraderie between the protagonists on the boat.

The scene with the Playboy bunnies occurs after they appear on stage. Willard and his crew meet up with them at a medievac camp and Willard exchanges some fuel with some time with the girls. This is a sequence that acts as a welcome romantic interlude during the trip up river to Cambodia. It could be argued that it slows down the journey, but with a film of such quality as Apocalypse Now it never seems dull and the length of the film is never a problem. After all if people can sit through dross like The Postman and Meet Joe Black they can surely find the time to watch a masterpiece such as this.

The French Plantation sequence is perhaps the biggest let down in the new edit in my view as it really does slow things down to an almost standstill. It begins with the burial of Larry Fishburne’s character that does fill in a gap in the narrative of the original film. What follows is a conundrum of different events. First there is a political conversation while Willard has diner with the French and then there is an erotically charged encounter between Willard and a young woman. This sequence is quite long and is shot almost like a dream maybe subversively suggesting that this is in fact the case. This was a disappointment and does not do anything to add to the film.

The final big scene is the new footage of Brando as Kurtz. This takes place with Willard in a steel box/cage and Kurtz reads some text from time magazine to Willard. This is interesting and any new scenes with Kurtz were always going to be welcome. The scene is more derogatory about America’s involvement in Vietnam and this is probably why it was not included at the time considering the political climate in 1979.

The Redux edit is a welcome addition to the mythology of the film but the original version is still my preferred choice. The narrative is tighter the intensity is maintained and the sense of danger is evident throughout. If you still love the smell of napalm in the morning than you will enjoy this cut but non- –subscribers to Coppola unique vision need not apply.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.