GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Death of Driving Games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/05/02 at 10:54
Regular
There are so many different games we can buy nowadays. RPGs give us the oppurtunity to explore huge interactive worlds, games like State of Emergency and GTA3 give us complete gaming freedom to do whatever we want, extreme sports sims allow us to pull of amazing stunts we wouldn't have a chance of achieving in real life. And driving games allow us to...err... drive round in a circle as fast as we can!

Could it be that we've reached a point where driving games simply do not appeal to us anymore?

Driving games have always given us a thrill. We love to speed round different tracks attempting to outdo the opposition and grab that elusive 1st place! Most formats over the years have always had impressive driving sims such as Super Monaco Grand Prix on the MegaDrive, MSR on the Dreamcast, GT1 and 2 on the PS1 and more recently Project Gotham on the Xbox and GT3 on the PS2. But it would seem that driving games just don't offer us the same appeal that they used to.

Take Gran Turismo 3 on the Playstation 2. This game got superb ratings, has some of the best graphics to have featured in a video game and has some of the most realistic car-handling ever seen. Yet i have to admit that i didn't get as excited playing GT3 as i did when i first played the original Gran Turismo on the old Playstation a few years back. For its time, the first GT was ground-breaking, yet with GT3 it just felt like you'd been there before.

Its not the developers fault. They have done all they can. They give us new cars and an array of tracks for us to enjoy. The problem here is the restrictions of the genre itself. At the end of the day, sometimes there's only so much you can do with a driving simulator.

Attempts have been made to spicen up the genre, often by adding a futuristic element or the addition of weaponary. With perhaps the exception of the Wipeout series, these games often fail to impress us. Why? because us demanding gamers want it all! We want realism coupled with maximum fun, action and excitement!

So where does the future of driving games lie? One game i'm looking forward to that could be a big turning point is Toca Racing Driver. Codemasters' past Toca games on the PS1 were all realistic, action-packed affairs. This is exactly what the Next-Generation console market needs; a game with realstic handling and real cars combined with the action and excitement which comes with racing against 20-odd cars on the track at the same time, trying to stay in one piece and hopefully be faster than everyone else!

I certainly hope the future of driving games is as bright as possible, because driving games have always been my favourite titles.

Thanks for reading and keep the pedal to the metal! Vroom!
Wed 01/05/02 at 16:13
Colin McCrae should be an excellent racing game especially after World Rally Championship was a bit of a let down.
Wed 01/05/02 at 10:58
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Brew wrote:
> A toast to Colin McCrae 3!!

*Raises glass* "to Cloin McRae 3...Here,here!"
Wed 01/05/02 at 10:56
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
A toast to Colin McCrae 3!!
Wed 01/05/02 at 10:54
Regular
"cant think of one.."
There are so many different games we can buy nowadays. RPGs give us the oppurtunity to explore huge interactive worlds, games like State of Emergency and GTA3 give us complete gaming freedom to do whatever we want, extreme sports sims allow us to pull of amazing stunts we wouldn't have a chance of achieving in real life. And driving games allow us to...err... drive round in a circle as fast as we can!

Could it be that we've reached a point where driving games simply do not appeal to us anymore?

Driving games have always given us a thrill. We love to speed round different tracks attempting to outdo the opposition and grab that elusive 1st place! Most formats over the years have always had impressive driving sims such as Super Monaco Grand Prix on the MegaDrive, MSR on the Dreamcast, GT1 and 2 on the PS1 and more recently Project Gotham on the Xbox and GT3 on the PS2. But it would seem that driving games just don't offer us the same appeal that they used to.

Take Gran Turismo 3 on the Playstation 2. This game got superb ratings, has some of the best graphics to have featured in a video game and has some of the most realistic car-handling ever seen. Yet i have to admit that i didn't get as excited playing GT3 as i did when i first played the original Gran Turismo on the old Playstation a few years back. For its time, the first GT was ground-breaking, yet with GT3 it just felt like you'd been there before.

Its not the developers fault. They have done all they can. They give us new cars and an array of tracks for us to enjoy. The problem here is the restrictions of the genre itself. At the end of the day, sometimes there's only so much you can do with a driving simulator.

Attempts have been made to spicen up the genre, often by adding a futuristic element or the addition of weaponary. With perhaps the exception of the Wipeout series, these games often fail to impress us. Why? because us demanding gamers want it all! We want realism coupled with maximum fun, action and excitement!

So where does the future of driving games lie? One game i'm looking forward to that could be a big turning point is Toca Racing Driver. Codemasters' past Toca games on the PS1 were all realistic, action-packed affairs. This is exactly what the Next-Generation console market needs; a game with realstic handling and real cars combined with the action and excitement which comes with racing against 20-odd cars on the track at the same time, trying to stay in one piece and hopefully be faster than everyone else!

I certainly hope the future of driving games is as bright as possible, because driving games have always been my favourite titles.

Thanks for reading and keep the pedal to the metal! Vroom!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.