GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Choices, Choices!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/05/02 at 10:12
Regular
Coming this friday there will be a war between consoles. The X-Box, Gamecube and Playstation 2. Even though the playststion 2 is a older it still prover a popular console among gamers. The x-box has not proved very popular or maybe it was but didnt live up to what it we were told about it. Dont get me wrong its a good console but jus too damn bulky! Last but not least the gamecube. Many people will be excited by Nintendos new console. It not only looks great but is the cheapest on the market. So it dosent have many games out yet but the ones that are coming out this friday look fantastic.
Did the PS2 have many games when it came out? No, but there was the opportunity to play PS1 games! The gamecube has been made to use small disks which bumps up the price of games a bit but increases the game play and quality of graphics a lot.
I know you lot are going to hate me for saying this but i think the x-box sucks, sorry but thats my opinion. First of all it was £300 with very few games released. I mean it was great because you didnt have to spend money on memory cards but it was too bulky, expensive and basicaly a waste of money. Yes it has gone down by £100 now but I think that people are waiting for the Gamecube or the next generation of consoles.
Why have Nintendo not put a DVD player onto the Gamecube? I suppose it could put the price up but it would be good to have one. I was reading that the Gamecube was aimed more at "kiddies" but i disagree. When you have games like Rogue Leader 2, Agent under fire, Max payne and many other titles I believe that the Gamecube is aimed at many ages!

Controllers? What about them you ask? They make the game! Their design must be comfortable and ergenomic (I think thats spelt right!). Sony have stuck with the same controller design for both the PS1 and PS2. This keeps costs down for them but also we dont have to get used to different controllers. The Gamecube has kept its analogue stick but changed the design slightly so it is more natural and comfortable. I think this controller is great and even looks good but what the heck is up with the controller for the x-box? Is ugly, bulky and basically a waste of space. Many of you out there may disagree but hey its a free world (last time I checked!) Some people may like it but I dont really think much to it.

What im really getting at is which will be the best console out of the PS2, Gamecube and X-box? They all have their pros and cons but surley one must be the overall winner?
I was really into the PS2 until a friend kept telling me about the Gamecube and when i saw one and played on it my eyes were opened! I have seen the light and its bright. I have learned my lesson, do not be stereotypical of a console untill you have looked at both sides of it, the pros and the cons.

Thanks for reading!
Wed 01/05/02 at 11:06
Regular
"cant think of one.."
$lik wrote:
> yes, but the bottom line is, Nintendo are about games not extras,
> thats the way it's allways been and is now and will most likely be
> forever.
> slik

Granted. But if they WERE about extras, they'd sell more consoles and more games. Surely thats what Nintendo should be all about?!
Wed 01/05/02 at 11:05
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
$lik wrote:
> yes, but the bottom line is, Nintendo are about games not extras,
> thats the way it's allways been and is now and will most likely be
> forever.
> slik ~_~

Indeedy!!!

Brew ~_~
(Slicker than Slik) ;)
Wed 01/05/02 at 11:03
Regular
"DS..."
yes, but the bottom line is, Nintendo are about games not extras, thats the way it's allways been and is now and will most likely be forever.
slik ~_~
Wed 01/05/02 at 11:01
Regular
"cant think of one.."
I hope the GameCube is successful too. And it IS a good way to stop piracy. However, you cannot deny that if Nintendo could have made the machine run on normal discs and included a DVD player, (which i'm sure they could of) then a sub-£150 console/DVD-player would sell like there's no tomorrow!
Wed 01/05/02 at 10:46
Regular
"DS..."
I think your missing the point a bit, the reason the gamecube has non-standard discs as opposed to CDs/DVDs is because it is a dedicated games console designed for anyone to play, casual and hardcore alike, it does'nt need to rely on A built-in DVD player or backwards compatibility for sucess as it has great games!

Another reason for opting for these non-standard discs (apart from the greater quality etc) is in an effort to make them Non-piratable and so far they are doing a pretty good job of making sure that copying them is virtually impossible, plus one of the other main reasons is to be able to sell it at such a low price, as It would not have a £130 price tag if it had a DVD player built-in now would it? ;)

Anyway, I just hope it's sucessfull and that after it's released more people will realise how great it really is, others may choose to stick with their Ps2's or Xboxes, but those of us who know REAL games when we see them will buy the dedicated games console that is The Nintendo Gamecube.

slik ~_~
Wed 01/05/02 at 10:18
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Perhaps it was a bad idea for Nintendo to not use the standard CD-sized disc for their games. This does make the console nice and compact. However, i believe that perhaps Nintendo have chosen individuality over practicality. Because if the GameCube used normal discs, it could be made to be a DVD player as well.

I dont know about everyone else, but when i bought a PS2, a big influence was the fact that it played DVD's. I was considering spending £100+ on a DVD player anyway, so the PS2 seemed a sensible choice.
Wed 01/05/02 at 10:15
Regular
"Not your monkey"
jon_uk17 wrote:
a friend kept telling me about the Gamecube and when i saw one and played
on it my eyes were opened! I have seen the light and its bright.

True, bright with pretty colours and mushrooms

And fairies.
Wed 01/05/02 at 10:12
Regular
Coming this friday there will be a war between consoles. The X-Box, Gamecube and Playstation 2. Even though the playststion 2 is a older it still prover a popular console among gamers. The x-box has not proved very popular or maybe it was but didnt live up to what it we were told about it. Dont get me wrong its a good console but jus too damn bulky! Last but not least the gamecube. Many people will be excited by Nintendos new console. It not only looks great but is the cheapest on the market. So it dosent have many games out yet but the ones that are coming out this friday look fantastic.
Did the PS2 have many games when it came out? No, but there was the opportunity to play PS1 games! The gamecube has been made to use small disks which bumps up the price of games a bit but increases the game play and quality of graphics a lot.
I know you lot are going to hate me for saying this but i think the x-box sucks, sorry but thats my opinion. First of all it was £300 with very few games released. I mean it was great because you didnt have to spend money on memory cards but it was too bulky, expensive and basicaly a waste of money. Yes it has gone down by £100 now but I think that people are waiting for the Gamecube or the next generation of consoles.
Why have Nintendo not put a DVD player onto the Gamecube? I suppose it could put the price up but it would be good to have one. I was reading that the Gamecube was aimed more at "kiddies" but i disagree. When you have games like Rogue Leader 2, Agent under fire, Max payne and many other titles I believe that the Gamecube is aimed at many ages!

Controllers? What about them you ask? They make the game! Their design must be comfortable and ergenomic (I think thats spelt right!). Sony have stuck with the same controller design for both the PS1 and PS2. This keeps costs down for them but also we dont have to get used to different controllers. The Gamecube has kept its analogue stick but changed the design slightly so it is more natural and comfortable. I think this controller is great and even looks good but what the heck is up with the controller for the x-box? Is ugly, bulky and basically a waste of space. Many of you out there may disagree but hey its a free world (last time I checked!) Some people may like it but I dont really think much to it.

What im really getting at is which will be the best console out of the PS2, Gamecube and X-box? They all have their pros and cons but surley one must be the overall winner?
I was really into the PS2 until a friend kept telling me about the Gamecube and when i saw one and played on it my eyes were opened! I have seen the light and its bright. I have learned my lesson, do not be stereotypical of a console untill you have looked at both sides of it, the pros and the cons.

Thanks for reading!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.