GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Football: Free Kicks"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/04/02 at 21:07
Regular
What is the rule these days on free kicks?

As I've always understood it, the defending team's wall must be ten yards from the ball as it is kicked.

Yet time after time a defender in the wall rushes towards the ball as the taker makes his run-up. Obviously this means they are not ten yards from the ball when it is kicked. Very, very occasionally, the referee orders the kick re-taken, but more often than not lets it go.

So what IS the law?

Explanations?
Tue 30/04/02 at 21:07
"High polygon count"
What is the rule these days on free kicks?

As I've always understood it, the defending team's wall must be ten yards from the ball as it is kicked.

Yet time after time a defender in the wall rushes towards the ball as the taker makes his run-up. Obviously this means they are not ten yards from the ball when it is kicked. Very, very occasionally, the referee orders the kick re-taken, but more often than not lets it go.

So what IS the law?

Explanations?
Tue 30/04/02 at 21:48
Regular
You talking about that one that Scholes charged at today? That was an indirect one I think, and Scholes can charge as soon as the ball was played.
Tue 30/04/02 at 22:17
"High polygon count"
That is what made me think of it, but it was a general question - not knocking him for doing it.
Wed 01/05/02 at 10:02
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
if its indirect you can charge the ball as soon as its rolled to another player, however if it is direct the opposing player must wait till the ball has been kicked.
Wed 01/05/02 at 15:56
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yeah, that 10 yard rule APPARENTLY still exists, but refs don't seem to be as strict about it as they should do.

Charging at a player will put him off slightly, or it'll make him want to smash the ball into you as you charge, like the idiot you really look like. And you certainly wouldn't want to get in the way of a Hasselbaink or even a Scholes pile-driver!! :S
It probably wouldn't bother Roberto Carlos, as he can bend the ball out to the corner flag and back into the back of the net! No problem.

Refs should look at this more carefully, and maybe the FA and FIFA and co. should consider the fact that all players within 20 yards must be stood still?? That'd stop it, and any player who does charge too early should get booked. But refferees really are slacking these days!!

And if you wanna put someone off, all you have to do is scream and shout at them from the wall, like Macca and Berger used to do for Liverpool - as I seem to recall! :)
Wed 01/05/02 at 16:08
A lot of the time I don't think Refs have the guts to stop the game for it to be taken again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.