GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mysql how do I sort it ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/01/08 at 15:07
Regular
I have quite a lot of websites on Freeola, I am thinking of purhasing MYSQL, this is so I can run forums etc etc. I was going to run mutiple tables, this is so I can share MYSQL between sites.

But would this look odd in the address bar, if I redirected? Or should I make a non descript website to run the MYSQL on?

I have sites dealing with Aromatherapy, motorbikes , Childrens books, blokes humour etc etc. So it would look odd bouncing them all in the same direction!!

Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome cheers.

PS

In myfreeola section how do I enable a certain domain, I want MYSQL on ?
Fri 25/01/08 at 12:39
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
You might want to start with a simple tutorial like this one.
Why not use Dreamweaver for generating the SQL statements and uploading the files. It's not too bad at this once you've learnt how it works (read the Help files). The disadvantage is that you don't really learn how to write SQL yourself.
Fri 25/01/08 at 00:26
Regular
After signing up for MYSQL, I am now trying to figure out how to use it !!!!! At the moment I can't make head or tail of it !!!!

I can use dreamweaver and build a site, then upload it with cute, dead simple. But this MYSQL looks gibberish to me, I hope I can learn to use it!!!

Any body got any ideas how to use this thing? Cause I certainly don't !!
Thu 24/01/08 at 00:50
Regular
Just signed up for MYSQL, got my log in details. Just had a read through the help pages, going by the help pages it seems pretty straight forward.

Just need some good scripts now to put it to the test.
Wed 23/01/08 at 17:46
"Are you sure?"
That's useful info Eccles.

Is it possible to 'swap' the 'Instant sites' product (1 free to every Freeola ADSL customer) for a MySQL account?

They are both the same price at £3 per month.

Or are you able to give ADSL customers (with loads of Freeola domains!) a MySQL account as well ;¬)

Thanks in advance.
If you don't ask you don't get...
Wed 23/01/08 at 16:19
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
MySQL is provided on an account basis. You connect to the MySQL server using your username (srxxxxxxx) and password. This means that different sites you have on your account can access the database using these login details. No redirection or anything is involved and end users do not need to know what MySQL server your sites are connecting to. You can have multiple sites using one MySQL account, just have them use different tables.
I suggest you have a quick read through our MySQL support page and post back here if you have any further questions.
Wed 23/01/08 at 15:42
Regular
Hmmm... wrote:
> FWIW
>
> The website would just be running an SQL
> Query, etc. to the DBase and not actually re-directing to the
> other domain name.
>
> That's how I see it working, but as I said I'm guessing really!

Hiya Hmmm

your waiting for what ! A free MYSQL account? Now sounds like a bloomin good idea, and how about other little goodies to keep us all happy. It would be lovely to have some good stuff to apply to our sites. I for one have been a good customer for a long time, I have also purchased loads of sites. Come on freeola give us some worth wile goodies ( freebies) to spice up our sites !!

OK getting back on track, I never thought of it as you say (just be running an SQL Query) suppose you could be right.

Thanks Beeza
Wed 23/01/08 at 15:25
"Are you sure?"
FWIW

I know 'nothing' about MySQL - I'm waiting for Freeola to give a free account for ADSL customers, *hint* *hint* Then I'll get involved.

...But I would have thought that the domain name wouldn't be visible to the visitor. The website would just be running an SQL Query, etc. to the DBase and not actually re-directing to the other domain name.

That's how I see it working, but as I said I'm guessing really!

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 23/01/08 at 15:07
Regular
I have quite a lot of websites on Freeola, I am thinking of purhasing MYSQL, this is so I can run forums etc etc. I was going to run mutiple tables, this is so I can share MYSQL between sites.

But would this look odd in the address bar, if I redirected? Or should I make a non descript website to run the MYSQL on?

I have sites dealing with Aromatherapy, motorbikes , Childrens books, blokes humour etc etc. So it would look odd bouncing them all in the same direction!!

Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome cheers.

PS

In myfreeola section how do I enable a certain domain, I want MYSQL on ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.