GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Video Gaming is my drug (and Mr Miyamoto is my supplier!)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/04/02 at 21:19
Regular
I feel it is time to be honest with you guys. I have a dark secret. Since the age of 6, I have been dabbling in drugs. WAIT. Before you all phone the cops and get my parents arrested, I should tell you now that the drugs I do are an electronic variety. Instead of being paid ‘a visit from the crack fairy’ now and again (as most 19 year olds do), I get my highs (legally) from Video Games. As do all of you lot reading this post.
Though you may never have thought of video games as drugs, they most certainly are. More addictive than Nicotine, Video Games work by engrossing you into their deep, meaningful story lines. Their smooth user-friendly controls woo you in. Seconds turn to minutes. Minutes to hours. Hour’s to days. Before you know it, it’s Monday morning and the College bus is minutes away.
Of course, I’m one of the lucky ones. My grade A high’s are courtesy of my supplier, Mr. Miyamoto. In the past, he got us all rolling with the mushroom-munching plumber, Mario. When we grew tolerant to the ‘shroom’s, he gave us Zelda, complete with an assortment of magic powders. He lovingly creates new mixtures for us every month (Pikmin being his latest creation).
Unfortunately, there are evil dealers out there, interested only in making a quick buck and not you’re welfare. For example, Greedy Gates. He goes out of his way to poison the drugs some of you take. ‘Obi-Wan’ for example. After talking that substance, all you’re left with is a sour taste in the mouth.
Mr. Miyamoto’s new platform is out here soon, and I urge you all to buy it. It’s the most fun you can have in you’re room…well…erm…you know what I mean!

For the record, unlike Moe Mowlem (or whatever she’s called), I do not endorse the use of illegal substances. Don’t do ‘em kids, they’re bad mmmkay.

So guys, tell me what you think of the addiction we all hunger.
Mon 29/04/02 at 21:57
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
ha ha. Very good Mr. Skank, very good.
Mon 29/04/02 at 21:33
Regular
"You've upset me"
… And please welcome my next guest... Games Junky Skank!!!

RBS: Good evening, Mr Skank. You’re here tonight to talk to us about gaming as a drug.

GJS: That’s right Rasta, I am.

RBS: Well then, first off, I’d like to ask you... When did you first experience gaming?

GJS: Well, I was 3 years old. My brother had recently bought a SNES with Super Mario World. I played this game for hours on end and was hooked on it at once.

RBS: So was there a kind of... dependence on this game for you? I mean, did you actually need to play it to get through the day? Or was it something that the thought of compelled you to do whatever you were doing faster so you could play it?

GJS: Yes... At first. The first week in which I played it, I was dependent on it. If I didn’t have a quick fix before school, my mind would wander. I wouldn’t be able to concentrate. In fact, the thought of playing it took my mind over so completely that my hands would in fact start to twitch as if they were playing the game. It was quite disturbing actually.

RBS: So, did you overcome your addiction to this game then?

GJS: I did. After completing it for the first time, I was still addicted. But, as I played through it a second time, the need for the game gradually wore off, until I was back to my normal state.

RBS: So you did overcome your addiction in time then?

GJS: Yes, I did.

RBS: During that era of gaming, were there any other games that hooked you so completely as Super Mario World then?

GJS: Well... Not as such. There were plenty of other games that I loved to play frequently, but there was never another game that influenced me so massively as Mario World did.

RBS: Since then you have bought an N64 and it is reported that you became a complete slave to the game ISS64. Is that true?

GJS: Yep, that’s correct. To be honest, nothing will ever match Super Mario World, I don’t think any game will ever quite be able to influence me so much. But ISS64 came close. It wasn’t quite as consuming as Mario World but it was just as compelling. I would sit up in my room for hours on end, playing through a World Season, completing scenarios and even simply taking penalties against the computer.

RBS: Hmmm... So it was a game that consumed you for hours on end while playing it, but it didn’t effect your non-playing life?

GJS: Yeah, that’s pretty much it. There was no dependence on it. Like there was with Mario World.

RBS: Game Junky’s are becoming more and more common in the world today. Addictive games are being produced more frequently; do you think this will one day lead to the recognition of gaming as an actual drug?

GJS: Well Rasta, with the release of next generation consoles just around the corner, the gaming world is about to enter a new stage. The addictiveness of games is very likely to increase as technology advances. Developers will be finding more and more ways to envelope gamers in the games they are playing. Most people either play games as an escape or they play them simply for fun. For the thrill of being chased by the army perhaps, or to get away from a problem and to release their anger on the minions of Hell. Kinda like why people take drugs really... So, yes. Gaming could very well be classed as a drug if it carries on progressing like it has. If games get much more addictive, then there could possibly be justification for them to be classed as a drug and made illegal.

RBS: Hmmm... If games were to be made illegal and be classified as a drug, what type of classification do you think they’d come under then?

GJS: Well that depends on the technology of the time. If Virtual Reality is the way in which people play games, then they could be classified as hallucinogenic. VR is rather like LSD and mushrooms when it comes down to hallucination.

RBS: Well that’s all we’ve got time for. I’d like to say a big thank you to Games Junky Skank and to all our other guests tonight and to wish them, and you, a good evening. Till next time, goodbye!
Mon 29/04/02 at 21:28
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Virtual highs eh? Nice idea, true too. Also drugs are like games in that some can be absolute pants and if you do them too often you'll really get screwed. Like that American that died after have an epileptic fit, having played eight hours of games a day for years! Digital Crack where have I heard that before....?
Mon 29/04/02 at 21:19
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
I feel it is time to be honest with you guys. I have a dark secret. Since the age of 6, I have been dabbling in drugs. WAIT. Before you all phone the cops and get my parents arrested, I should tell you now that the drugs I do are an electronic variety. Instead of being paid ‘a visit from the crack fairy’ now and again (as most 19 year olds do), I get my highs (legally) from Video Games. As do all of you lot reading this post.
Though you may never have thought of video games as drugs, they most certainly are. More addictive than Nicotine, Video Games work by engrossing you into their deep, meaningful story lines. Their smooth user-friendly controls woo you in. Seconds turn to minutes. Minutes to hours. Hour’s to days. Before you know it, it’s Monday morning and the College bus is minutes away.
Of course, I’m one of the lucky ones. My grade A high’s are courtesy of my supplier, Mr. Miyamoto. In the past, he got us all rolling with the mushroom-munching plumber, Mario. When we grew tolerant to the ‘shroom’s, he gave us Zelda, complete with an assortment of magic powders. He lovingly creates new mixtures for us every month (Pikmin being his latest creation).
Unfortunately, there are evil dealers out there, interested only in making a quick buck and not you’re welfare. For example, Greedy Gates. He goes out of his way to poison the drugs some of you take. ‘Obi-Wan’ for example. After talking that substance, all you’re left with is a sour taste in the mouth.
Mr. Miyamoto’s new platform is out here soon, and I urge you all to buy it. It’s the most fun you can have in you’re room…well…erm…you know what I mean!

For the record, unlike Moe Mowlem (or whatever she’s called), I do not endorse the use of illegal substances. Don’t do ‘em kids, they’re bad mmmkay.

So guys, tell me what you think of the addiction we all hunger.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.