GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo Namecube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/04/02 at 11:35
Regular
It wasn't long ago that it was known to us all as the Dolphin, but when Nintendo announced that this was just a working title, and the real name of their new console would be the GameCube, could they have made a mistake? With launch only a few days away, we'd better make sure we're gettign the right product! Maybe we misheard them, and they actually said one of the following:

DameCube: Maybe Nintendo planned to aim their console at women? After all, Pikmin is based on plant like creatures imagined in Shigeru Miyamoto's garden, and flowers and plants are not in he area of man, surely this is a game for girls? Luigi's Mansion doesn't provide much man-fodder either. You play the role of cowardly Luigi. Surely the female of the species would be rather scared in a creepy mansion, and would be able to empathise with Luigi, where true men would go in there, and blast all the ghosts without batting an eyelid.

MAMEcube: Named after the popular arcade emulator, maybe the name of the machine would be a hint at the joint project between Sega, Namco and Nintendo, the Triforce arcade board, which will see many arcade ports make their way to the console, including twin versions of F-Zero. Maybe Nintendo planned to launch their online network with networked games of Gauntlet, Track 'n' Field, and the Simpson's arcade game?

LameCube: Have you read the storyline to Super Mario Sunshine? Get rid of graffiti scribbles on an island! Guide Luigi around a mansion armed with a torch and a vacuum cleaner! Animal Crossing has you living happily in a village, communicating with the many other residents, hardly action packed, is it? Maybe Nintendo really don't give a hoot about the regular adult market, and just want to enlist an army of pansy gamers?

FameCube: Maybe Nintendo believed that their new console would live forever. Maybe it would also learn to fly. Either way they were hoping that it would bring further success dancing to their door. Maybe they were planning a couple more movies to boost the popularity of their franchise characters. Mario Kart: The Movie anyone?

SameCube: Another Starfox game, another Metroid, more Mario in Sunshine, Smash Bros, Party, Kart, Tennis and Golf. We'll get to play the same old games as before, and we'll love them. Why innovate when the fans will just buy the same games all the time? Change a few of the characters, update the graphics, stick a big number on the box, and you've got another hit. So long unprofitable innovation!

BlameCube: Maybe Nintendo planned to reveal the truth, video games are responsible for the ills of society? Maybe playing Mario at an early age gives you the urge to kill? Who knows?Maybe the tagline would be "Blamecube: It's our fault" and all of the manuals would clearly state that playing the games would encourage violence, even though the games have very little violent content, because if you can press a button to shoot a pretend character in a game, you sure as hell can pull a trigger and take the life of a real person.

And finally, they decided to settle upon the GameCube. Because it plays games. Their logic is astounding.
Tue 30/04/02 at 17:02
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Actually, it was HIGHLY rumoured to be called the
> "Starcube". Shame they changed it.

Starcube is a terrible name, if you ask me.
Tue 30/04/02 at 15:54
Regular
"not dead"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Actually, it was HIGHLY rumoured to be called the
> "Starcube". Shame they changed it.

Yeah, I remember SR changing the name of the forum from Dolphin to Starcube, and Edgy didn't like it!

Anyway, what would rhyme with Starcube?

Barcube?
Tue 30/04/02 at 15:51
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually, it was HIGHLY rumoured to be called the "Starcube". Shame they changed it.
Mon 29/04/02 at 22:33
Regular
Lol.

Funny stuff Meka. But wouldn't calling it a DameCube be sexist ;-)
Mon 29/04/02 at 22:29
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
You missed out Shamecube, too.
Mon 29/04/02 at 21:31
Regular
Solskjær wrote:
> Interesting Meka....
>
> >
> And I don't think Meka's running out of ideas, but something he said
> has made me come to realise that the aeging mind of Shigsy may be
> running dry.
> He said about how we're seeing all the previous N64 games all over
> again!
> More Mario, more Starfox, more Metroid, and more of the extra Mario
> games!
> So with this console and the ones (if any) to follow, I believe that
> Nintendo will need a lot of 3rd party support to succeed!

So Starfox being an adventure game instead of flight game, and MEtroid being a First Person Adventure rather than third makes it the same game... and then there is the new Zelda...

And he also mentioned Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion etc... and missed Marionette etc... all original titles.
Mon 29/04/02 at 17:13
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Interesting Meka....

But why exactly did they choose Cube when the console is actually more of a rectangular shape!??? It's also incredibley tiny, and I couldn't believe the size of it when I saw someone playing Luigi's Mansion in Virgin on Friday!

And I don't think Meka's running out of ideas, but something he said has made me come to realise that the aeging mind of Shigsy may be running dry.
He said about how we're seeing all the previous N64 games all over again!
More Mario, more Starfox, more Metroid, and more of the extra Mario games!
So with this console and the ones (if any) to follow, I believe that Nintendo will need a lot of 3rd party support to succeed!

This was proven with the N64 - as we know!
Mon 29/04/02 at 16:47
Regular
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> Running out of topic ideas, Meka?

It was a damn good topic me thinks.
Mon 29/04/02 at 14:29
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I haven't done a topic for ages, come to think about it.

I might just look at the oldest ones in Prime and rip on of them off.

Actually, I think i'll do one about new games that have stolen old ideas.

Like PIKMIN... I think Miyamoto's been playing too much Toe Jam and Earl!

Skanky, good for nothing, Japanese plagarist!
Mon 29/04/02 at 14:20
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> Running out of topic ideas, Meka?

A bit Cheeky Mr. Snuggly. At least Meka writes a decent topic of substantial length, unlike most people. I myself am guilty of many a half-arsed attempt a topics. I'm trying to change that now though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.