GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Man Who Wasn't There"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/04/02 at 10:12
Regular
I think I liked this film.
It was interesting and had some good shots but I don't understand some of it. (Aliens anyone?)

So I watched with the DVD commentary on from The Coen Bros and Billy-Bob Thornton to get some idea.
Worst commentary ever.
I love The Coen Bros movies,they've been consistently brilliant.
But I really, really want to punch them in the stomach with my fist.

Why?
Because the whole commentary is the slow-talking Billy-Bob saying "Look, Ed Crane is nodding!"
"Hur hur nodding..hur hur" from Joel and
"Yeah nodding hur hur" from Ethan.
There's nothing from them about the meaning of any of it, what set-ups they used, anything about the actors involved, no explanation of any of the stranger stuff, no talk about anything.
Billy-Bob says "Ed Crane" and they laugh.

2 bits of info from the commentary?
In once scene Ed Cran (Billy's character) has "a boner" (cue hysterical laughter from The Coens) and they got the idea for the film from a poster in The Hudsucker Proxy of 40s hair-cuts.

Good film, rubbish commentary.
"Look,I'm nodding"
"Hur hur nodding"
"Hur hur boner"
Thu 02/05/02 at 01:33
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yep.
The more I watch it, the more I like it.
As per usual with The Coens, my initial "Welllllll" turns into "Excellent".
The only films of theirs I liked straight away were Oh Brother, The Big Lebowski and Raising Arizona.
The rest grew on me over time.
As this is.

But the commentary does suck.
Thu 02/05/02 at 00:28
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
It's a brilliant, brilliant film.

One of the Coens' best in terms of satisfying conclusions...

Personally I think the aliens are just a B-movie reference, because that's what the Coens were trying to make, a high-concept b-movie. There's probably little deeper meaning as they absolutely refuse to admit that their films have any hidden layers of interpretation. They're simply here to entertain they say. Apparently it's Sam Raimi's fault that they feel this way, or it could just be that interviewers have found it so hard to get them to say *anything* that they just gave up on the interpretations front.

Have you seen the "Making of" featurette? Although it's hardly the greatest example of a "making of" when it's only a series of interviews.. The Coens are so sloooow and ponderous. The interview with Roger Deakins is mildly interesting but Rog can't resist the urge to fondle his face every 10 seconds... The photo gallery is mildly interesting and the deleted scenes are scant, though the lawyer's speech is extremely funny (you'd never have guessed that Joel majored in philosopy..) A bit disappointing on the features front.

However, the film rules. Easily the best film I've seen in the past month.
Tue 30/04/02 at 01:20
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Definitely.
Good film (watched it again tonight), but really, really bad commentary.
Imagine 3 blokes laughing at a joke and never telling you what it is for 112 minutes.

"Hur Hur nodding.."
"Hur hur yeah"
"Look, I'm nodding"
"Hur Hur"
"Nobody spotted I got a boner there"
"Hur Hur Boner"
"Hur nodding"

And it's not even as amusing as it reads.
I know they're notorious for not talking about their movies but c'mon guys, a DVD commentary?
Listen to Kevin Smith's commentaries to see how it's done.
Tue 30/04/02 at 01:10
This film rules, saw it at the flicks a while back ans was wholeheartedy impressed.
Extremely well shot, reliably amusingly well scripted and pleasantly odd.
Billy bob shot up in my estimations after seeing this.

watch it, its good.

apparently, don't bother with the commentry.
Mon 29/04/02 at 12:29
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Saw this in the video shop on saturday night. Didn't get it in the end (got something with Samuel L Jackson - rules of engagement or something).

If its worth a look I think I may go for it sometime over this week. I hadn't heard of it before I saw it saturday though.

You seen thirteen days yet Goaty? Keep seeing that in the shop and am considering having another watch of it.
Mon 29/04/02 at 10:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I think I liked this film.
It was interesting and had some good shots but I don't understand some of it. (Aliens anyone?)

So I watched with the DVD commentary on from The Coen Bros and Billy-Bob Thornton to get some idea.
Worst commentary ever.
I love The Coen Bros movies,they've been consistently brilliant.
But I really, really want to punch them in the stomach with my fist.

Why?
Because the whole commentary is the slow-talking Billy-Bob saying "Look, Ed Crane is nodding!"
"Hur hur nodding..hur hur" from Joel and
"Yeah nodding hur hur" from Ethan.
There's nothing from them about the meaning of any of it, what set-ups they used, anything about the actors involved, no explanation of any of the stranger stuff, no talk about anything.
Billy-Bob says "Ed Crane" and they laugh.

2 bits of info from the commentary?
In once scene Ed Cran (Billy's character) has "a boner" (cue hysterical laughter from The Coens) and they got the idea for the film from a poster in The Hudsucker Proxy of 40s hair-cuts.

Good film, rubbish commentary.
"Look,I'm nodding"
"Hur hur nodding"
"Hur hur boner"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.