GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Crack"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/04/02 at 23:31
Regular
Well, well, well.What have we got here. We have 3 next generation consoles with top-notch graphics and superb games pretty evenly spread among them. We have 3 consoles that suit different tastes and cater for everyone's needs. We have 3 consoles that offer as much diversity as the Brazil Carnival. We have 3 consoles that offer the players all sorts of entertainment services-from DVD playback to Internet access. And now we have 3 consoles that are suspiciously cheap...

It did not come as a surprise when Sony have announced plans for reducing the price of their console. After all it did sell millions of units all over the world and after the success of the PSone was bound to be a hit with the fans. These fans overlooked the rather weedy selection of games available for PS2 in the first 7-8 months of its existence, the average quality DVD playback and the silence on the online play front. The story of the first months of Sony's new baby was promises, promises, promises...But we have to give it to the company-they kept to their promises releasing some of the best games ever seen on a video game consoles in just 3 months in the run-up to Christmas. We were treated to such gems as GTA3 and Pro Evo Soccer. It was as though Sony were apologising by not living up to the expectations at first. THe price drop was imminent and it came, and more people bought it, and everyone was happy. It was still a magnificent achievement to release a console that people would shell out £300 no matter what kind of a reputation the company has. £300 is still a lot of money. But the £100 price drop suited everyone. Parents were more happy to purchase a PS2 as a christmas present and the user database has rapidly increased as shoppers hurried to tehir local game stores in order to grab hold of a year old console. The popularity of it was astonishing. In the weeks following the Christmas break, it was an achievement to actually find a single console in the shops let alone see stacks of it on the shelves. MGS2 also must have sold a hefty number of consoles and the future titles are bound to do the same.

Rumours that SOny have come up with a package that will include a PS2 bundled up with a Hard Disc Drive which on its own would set you back roughly a £100, also will delight gamers. They can get online in the matter of hours for a very respectable price. Sony seem to have timked everything perfectly. What about the others?

Nintendo are about to release their Gamecube in just 5 days time. Whereas they are happy to let PS2 and the X-Box to battle out for the console world supremacy, it does offer a nice mix to the customers. It has most of the games you expect to see on the other 2 machines, plus, in a true Nintendo fashion, has some fantastic innovative and original games that make SOny and Microsoft weep in embarassment. Nintendo always had an eye for unusual titles and they can make even the bizarrest of ideas work well. The US launch was moderately successful even though the PS2 price drop helped Sony outsell Nintendo by a hefty amount. THe main attraction of the Gamecube is its almost budget price of £170. This made many gamers around the world stand up and take notice. New look of Nintendo for THAT much? Yes and the Gamecube is shaping up to be a nifty little package, No it doesnt offer DVD playback, no the online plans are as as clear as a mudbath. But what the Gamecube does offer is pure fun GAMEPLAY. This is what so many try to achieve and so few get it right. Gamecube is not about ground-breaking graphics, its not about fancy gadgets and looking cool...its all about immersing the player and involving him in any game he plays. Its all about that fun factor here. And now we are hearing that you can get a Gamecube for as little as £130!!!!Yes £130. The PSOne still costs that much if you get a few top games with it. SO basically its a bargain, even though there was no hype that surrounded the PS2 or the X-Box. People may ignore it for mainly that reason, but it still is a good buy.

What about the giants of the computer world, a company that is a Schumacher of computer systems and software. Company, whos boss is the richest man alive..Microsoft. An announcement that Microsoft are trying their hand at console making has had mixed responses from the critics and gamers worldwide. From one point of view the console was bound to employ a CPU-type engine which would generate superb graphics. The parameters speak for themselves. The X-Box is an equivalent of an expensive top-of-the-range computer system. Others had their doubts-after all both Sony and Nintendo have already been there and done that. Microsoft had no experience with console gaming, which to be fair is quite different to PC online gaming. People had doubts about the way Microsoft implement the console and about the mistakes they are bound to make since they are virgins in that particular field. Microsoft also decided to release the X-Box just as Sony started making a turbo charge forward with their machine-not a good idea if we were to view it from a marketing point of view. A price tag of £300 was also a big turn-off,considering Sony just dropped a price of the PS2. Microsoft commented by saying that this was due to what X-Box offers:out-of-the-box online access, top games and impressive licenses, super processing power etc. But the plan has backfired on them. The sales of the machine reflected on the poorly thought out plan and the PS2 was on top again.

The X-Box was released in UK on the 14th March. Again a silly thing to do due to Metal Gear Solid 2, the most awaited game on any console for years being released just 6 days earlier. This, of course sold a fair share of PS2's and left X-Boxes lying on the shelves. The sights of people queing up for hours on the cold November night in 2000 were non existent here. You could just walk in and get an X-Box in pretty much any shop. £300 was a bit too much for some people, who already shelled out the same amount for the PS2 and the fact that both consoles have many similarities (especially in their range of games) didnt help the matters either. The truth was that PS2 had established a database of users that was untocuhable. X-Box strugled through the last month and the announcement that X-Box are cutting the shipping of X-Boxes to Europe by almost 50% (!) was not all that shocking. Then came the announcement that certainly noone expected. Microsoft have cut the price of the X-Box by a £100, therefore making a 1 month-old console available here in UK for just £200.

So why did Microsoft crack. Was it a desperation move, after being outsold by Sony and a prospect of the Gamecube doing the same thing, or was it an act of good will-letting people enjoy the console for less. After all the specs are extremely impressive and the game line up isnt all that bad.

Well one thing is for sure:Microsoft cracked big time. They expexted to take over the world and didnt, they expected to outsell the PS2 and didnt. Even Bill Gates' money that bought the affection of some development teams didnt turn the scales in their favour. Its still a good console, but its one marketing campign gone bad.....

Thank you
Sun 28/04/02 at 23:31
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Well, well, well.What have we got here. We have 3 next generation consoles with top-notch graphics and superb games pretty evenly spread among them. We have 3 consoles that suit different tastes and cater for everyone's needs. We have 3 consoles that offer as much diversity as the Brazil Carnival. We have 3 consoles that offer the players all sorts of entertainment services-from DVD playback to Internet access. And now we have 3 consoles that are suspiciously cheap...

It did not come as a surprise when Sony have announced plans for reducing the price of their console. After all it did sell millions of units all over the world and after the success of the PSone was bound to be a hit with the fans. These fans overlooked the rather weedy selection of games available for PS2 in the first 7-8 months of its existence, the average quality DVD playback and the silence on the online play front. The story of the first months of Sony's new baby was promises, promises, promises...But we have to give it to the company-they kept to their promises releasing some of the best games ever seen on a video game consoles in just 3 months in the run-up to Christmas. We were treated to such gems as GTA3 and Pro Evo Soccer. It was as though Sony were apologising by not living up to the expectations at first. THe price drop was imminent and it came, and more people bought it, and everyone was happy. It was still a magnificent achievement to release a console that people would shell out £300 no matter what kind of a reputation the company has. £300 is still a lot of money. But the £100 price drop suited everyone. Parents were more happy to purchase a PS2 as a christmas present and the user database has rapidly increased as shoppers hurried to tehir local game stores in order to grab hold of a year old console. The popularity of it was astonishing. In the weeks following the Christmas break, it was an achievement to actually find a single console in the shops let alone see stacks of it on the shelves. MGS2 also must have sold a hefty number of consoles and the future titles are bound to do the same.

Rumours that SOny have come up with a package that will include a PS2 bundled up with a Hard Disc Drive which on its own would set you back roughly a £100, also will delight gamers. They can get online in the matter of hours for a very respectable price. Sony seem to have timked everything perfectly. What about the others?

Nintendo are about to release their Gamecube in just 5 days time. Whereas they are happy to let PS2 and the X-Box to battle out for the console world supremacy, it does offer a nice mix to the customers. It has most of the games you expect to see on the other 2 machines, plus, in a true Nintendo fashion, has some fantastic innovative and original games that make SOny and Microsoft weep in embarassment. Nintendo always had an eye for unusual titles and they can make even the bizarrest of ideas work well. The US launch was moderately successful even though the PS2 price drop helped Sony outsell Nintendo by a hefty amount. THe main attraction of the Gamecube is its almost budget price of £170. This made many gamers around the world stand up and take notice. New look of Nintendo for THAT much? Yes and the Gamecube is shaping up to be a nifty little package, No it doesnt offer DVD playback, no the online plans are as as clear as a mudbath. But what the Gamecube does offer is pure fun GAMEPLAY. This is what so many try to achieve and so few get it right. Gamecube is not about ground-breaking graphics, its not about fancy gadgets and looking cool...its all about immersing the player and involving him in any game he plays. Its all about that fun factor here. And now we are hearing that you can get a Gamecube for as little as £130!!!!Yes £130. The PSOne still costs that much if you get a few top games with it. SO basically its a bargain, even though there was no hype that surrounded the PS2 or the X-Box. People may ignore it for mainly that reason, but it still is a good buy.

What about the giants of the computer world, a company that is a Schumacher of computer systems and software. Company, whos boss is the richest man alive..Microsoft. An announcement that Microsoft are trying their hand at console making has had mixed responses from the critics and gamers worldwide. From one point of view the console was bound to employ a CPU-type engine which would generate superb graphics. The parameters speak for themselves. The X-Box is an equivalent of an expensive top-of-the-range computer system. Others had their doubts-after all both Sony and Nintendo have already been there and done that. Microsoft had no experience with console gaming, which to be fair is quite different to PC online gaming. People had doubts about the way Microsoft implement the console and about the mistakes they are bound to make since they are virgins in that particular field. Microsoft also decided to release the X-Box just as Sony started making a turbo charge forward with their machine-not a good idea if we were to view it from a marketing point of view. A price tag of £300 was also a big turn-off,considering Sony just dropped a price of the PS2. Microsoft commented by saying that this was due to what X-Box offers:out-of-the-box online access, top games and impressive licenses, super processing power etc. But the plan has backfired on them. The sales of the machine reflected on the poorly thought out plan and the PS2 was on top again.

The X-Box was released in UK on the 14th March. Again a silly thing to do due to Metal Gear Solid 2, the most awaited game on any console for years being released just 6 days earlier. This, of course sold a fair share of PS2's and left X-Boxes lying on the shelves. The sights of people queing up for hours on the cold November night in 2000 were non existent here. You could just walk in and get an X-Box in pretty much any shop. £300 was a bit too much for some people, who already shelled out the same amount for the PS2 and the fact that both consoles have many similarities (especially in their range of games) didnt help the matters either. The truth was that PS2 had established a database of users that was untocuhable. X-Box strugled through the last month and the announcement that X-Box are cutting the shipping of X-Boxes to Europe by almost 50% (!) was not all that shocking. Then came the announcement that certainly noone expected. Microsoft have cut the price of the X-Box by a £100, therefore making a 1 month-old console available here in UK for just £200.

So why did Microsoft crack. Was it a desperation move, after being outsold by Sony and a prospect of the Gamecube doing the same thing, or was it an act of good will-letting people enjoy the console for less. After all the specs are extremely impressive and the game line up isnt all that bad.

Well one thing is for sure:Microsoft cracked big time. They expexted to take over the world and didnt, they expected to outsell the PS2 and didnt. Even Bill Gates' money that bought the affection of some development teams didnt turn the scales in their favour. Its still a good console, but its one marketing campign gone bad.....

Thank you
Mon 29/04/02 at 00:21
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Well, i have to agree, X-box as done far worse than what i think Microsoft imagined that it would do, they have fallen sharply off there mark of what they wanted to do hence the sudden price drop.

Of course after reading this the fans of the machine are of course going to come in here and defend it saying that it is a good console, which for me it is a good console (but one that i dont want). But the main thing is, so far its not done what it was expected to do and as much as people can say that at least its made the fans happy, thats not Bill's main problem, for it to be a success for him, it needs to sell and do better than the rest, and at the moment it just aint doing that.

And this may be the same for the GC, only with it being cheaper it may find its self doing better and reaching the goals that it has set out for it. But for me, regarding these two consoles as ones that will take up a huge chunck of the market is something i dont agree with, i think its all a little too late for them, its now a fight for second place.
Mon 29/04/02 at 00:33
Regular
"everyone says it"
Nice topic.

Personal opinion agrees with you that Microsoft were a little over estimating their money and what it could do, and in the end, its the price and games on the system.

Hell.. without Bungie's Halo... XBox wouldn't have sold many at all.
Mon 29/04/02 at 11:34
"For the horde!!!!"
nice few paragraphs of text there triple-H and i agree with what you are saying. There is one factor that might come into play later on and thats on-line gameing, because Xbox comes with a hardrive and modem and PS2 dosn't then when Sony release their hardrive and modem it will cost us PS2 owners more money. At the moment PS2 as the advantage when it comes to games at the moment and PS2 as had two chrismas already and GC and Xbox hasn't so things could hot up. *hopes for a price war on games*
Mon 29/04/02 at 19:49
Regular
"You Bum!!"
The online thing isnt looking too good at the moment is it...I mean whereas the Japs are already playing it and US people gonan get it in September, we are left out AGAIN. But even though the X-Box has an IN-BUILT hard drive, there arent many people who bought it are there?
Mon 29/04/02 at 23:43
Regular
"Touched!"
I think the best thing for MS now is to see how well the sales are doing and make sure that they get the online stuff sorted out as soon as possible, sony have taken their time but i hope that microsoft can speed things up and i think thye are aiming for it to be up for the summer, here's hoping!
Although the xbox has got off to a slow start i think things will begin to pick up thanks to the recent price drop which made me make the decision to buy one, i havent looked back and its more impress than i found my ps2 to be honest, i have faith in the xbox and i think it can do just as well as the gamecube.
Microsoft have cracked in a way but maybe its for the better this time eh?
I don't believe Microsoft ever set out to rule the industry, but to establish themselves in the console industry, i've never seen microsoft fail yet, so i can't see the xbox being a failure, its got a lot of good games out and a lot of ones coming out (MGSX will be announced at E3 apprently).
As for it being a desperation move, well sort of, i don't think that microsft had any choice but to lower the price to compete with the competition otherwise sales would be worse.
Its going to be hard to predict what will happen next, anything can happen
in the gaming industry..but don't count anything out yet, especially microsoft :)
Tue 30/04/02 at 16:08
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I think quite a lot of people forget how poor the PS2 launch really was. I think everyone will agree that, had Sony not had any name in the industry, the PS2 would probably have failed simply because the launch games were, let's face it, some of the most over rated ever.

Meanwhile MS does a good job with the games (well, at least looking at a Western audience!), but isn't going to do anywhere near as well as Sony simply because it doesn't have the brandname.

After all, how many of the millions of people who preordered a PS2 never took the time to play one first? Or even look at REAL game footage!

Sonic
Tue 30/04/02 at 17:03
"High polygon count"
I don't think the PS2 would have failed at all. The launch games, while not spectacular, showed that Sony intended to carry on where they left off - supplying games from franchises that millions of people love, only better looking and better sounding than ever. Basically a better, more powerful version of "everyone's favourite" console.

In terms of the games, I think the PS2 launch was better. There were four "must have" games for me personally, whereas there were only three on the Xbox. Six weeks after buying my PS2, there were more games out that I wanted. I can't yet see anything on the release schedules for the next few months on Xbox the I personally want, yet ten or more for PS2.

Add to this the sudden price drop to prop up comparatively feeble sales, and the crap games offered as compensation (the only good ones being the the ones everyone probably bought with the machine anyway), and I'm starting to see my Xbox not so much as a big black box, but more of a big white elephant!

In fact, I haven't touched it for almost two weeks now; I've been back on my PS2 playing GT3, ICO and Dropship. So far, while I don't think it's a bad machine as such, the whole "Xbox experience" has left me totally underwhelmed. I'll give it two or three months, and if things don't start looking up, I'll be selling it.

I have several friends who are gamers; they all own PS2's, but they are in no way Sony fans in the same way as me or any other posters on this forum. They've all seen Xbox in action, and none of them are tempted to get one. Whereas, after seeing my PS2, they all wanted one.

There's just something 'missing' from the whole Xbox experience, IMHO. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I am SO glad I didn't trade in my PS2 for it.
Tue 30/04/02 at 17:10
"For the horde!!!!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> I don't think the PS2 would have failed at all. The launch games,
> while not spectacular, showed that Sony intended to carry on where
> they left off - supplying games from franchises that millions of
> people love, only better looking and better sounding than ever.
> Basically a better, more powerful version of "everyone's
> favourite" console.
>
> In terms of the games, I think the PS2 launch was better. There were
> four "must have" games for me personally, whereas there were
> only three on the Xbox. Six weeks after buying my PS2, there were
> more games out that I wanted. I can't yet see anything on the release
> schedules for the next few months on Xbox the I personally want, yet
> ten or more for PS2.
>
> Add to this the sudden price drop to prop up comparatively feeble
> sales, and the crap games offered as compensation (the only good ones
> being the the ones everyone probably bought with the machine anyway),
> and I'm starting to see my Xbox not so much as a big black box, but
> more of a big white elephant!
>
> In fact, I haven't touched it for almost two weeks now; I've been back
> on my PS2 playing GT3, ICO and Dropship. So far, while I don't think
> it's a bad machine as such, the whole "Xbox experience" has
> left me totally underwhelmed. I'll give it two or three months, and
> if things don't start looking up, I'll be selling it.
>
> I have several friends who are gamers; they all own PS2's, but they
> are in no way Sony fans in the same way as me or any other posters on
> this forum. They've all seen Xbox in action, and none of them are
> tempted to get one. Whereas, after seeing my PS2, they all wanted
> one.
>
> There's just something 'missing' from the whole Xbox experience, IMHO.
> I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I am SO glad I didn't
> trade in my PS2 for it.

i don't get why people rushed out to buy the xbox. the ps2 has a strong line of games so why bother.
Tue 30/04/02 at 17:12
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> I think quite a lot of people forget how poor the PS2 launch really
> was.

I think quite a lot of people never realised how good the PS2 launch really was.

> I think everyone will agree that, had Sony not had any name in
> the industry, the PS2 would probably have failed simply because the
> launch games were, let's face it, some of the most over rated ever.

Over rated? One in particular was sooo good that I named myself after it (in real life too :D ). I`d still take TimeSplitters over any other FPS, SSX over any other snowboarder, and possibly even Tekken as one of the top beat `em ups.

> Meanwhile MS does a good job with the games (well, at least looking at
> a Western audience!), but isn't going to do anywhere near as well as
> Sony simply because it doesn't have the brandname.

Too right! Who on this planet has heard the name "Microsoft"? Exactly.
Also... the games were alright. Halo has gone down well, a couple of others look pretty, but nothing has tempted me away from PS2, and this is even a quiet time for PS2.

> After all, how many of the millions of people who preordered a PS2
> never took the time to play one first? Or even look at REAL game
> footage!

I didn`t play one first, but then the console itself isn`t that much fun to play with. I much prefer using it in conjunction with games. I admit that perhaps I took a risk, but it paid off, and I`m happy with it. As for seeing REAL game footage, it would have only strengthened my belief that the console was wonderful. I saw lots of videos of SSX and TimeSplitters, but then when I saw the real thing especially the speed of TimeSplitters) it was better than I`d expected.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.