GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What. A. Shock."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/04/02 at 14:57
Regular
You know that 'sick' kid that killed classmates in Germany?

Here's the Mail on Sunday's headline, to accompany the picture of the boy.

"Face of the school gunman hooked on sick video games"

Although:

He was thrown out of school for making notes to get him out of class.

He complained of being bullied by his teachers.

His parents were strict, and were hard on him.

He owned a gun license.

He was also a member of the local rifle club.

Oh, and he took out his frustrations on the life that he was forced to live on video games.

...It makes you wonder really. On the surface, it's easy to label this kid sick, and twisted... but perhaps, just perhaps, he was trapped into a way of life that he hated, forced into by anyone and everyone who had control over him. Blame is easy to pass... and I'm sure the friends and family of the bereaved will hate this boy for the rest of their days... but why can't we just find the blame where it's supposed to be placed?

"He was into computer video games, the really brutal ones. It may be that these helped him to lose his grip on reality."

It's like arguing against a brick wall though. All people are, it seems, are reflections of their parents. Nobody wants to make up their own minds, just speaking opinions, that when you ask "Why?" over and over to... they end up at dead ends, unable to explain themselves.

Society really is pathetic... but it doesn't bother me. I'll happily watch as they all eat themselves alive, and die as useless as they are. It's the ones like this kid, the ones with no escape. The ones that can see no more than the pathetic society, and feel that they can do nothing at all to stop it.

And I expect many of you agree with me. Some of you may not. Either way, it doesn't matter.

Just ask yourself why. He was thrown out of school. Why? Because he was trying to get out of it. Why? Because he didn't enjoy it? He hated his teachers because they bullied him? He found the work difficult and there was nobody that understood him?

I say we should put the blame where it belongs... but that's wrong really. We should put the understanding where it belongs. We should understand more what's wrong with these people... ways to not help them fit back into society, but to help them see that there's more to life than first appears.
Sun 28/04/02 at 14:57
Regular
You know that 'sick' kid that killed classmates in Germany?

Here's the Mail on Sunday's headline, to accompany the picture of the boy.

"Face of the school gunman hooked on sick video games"

Although:

He was thrown out of school for making notes to get him out of class.

He complained of being bullied by his teachers.

His parents were strict, and were hard on him.

He owned a gun license.

He was also a member of the local rifle club.

Oh, and he took out his frustrations on the life that he was forced to live on video games.

...It makes you wonder really. On the surface, it's easy to label this kid sick, and twisted... but perhaps, just perhaps, he was trapped into a way of life that he hated, forced into by anyone and everyone who had control over him. Blame is easy to pass... and I'm sure the friends and family of the bereaved will hate this boy for the rest of their days... but why can't we just find the blame where it's supposed to be placed?

"He was into computer video games, the really brutal ones. It may be that these helped him to lose his grip on reality."

It's like arguing against a brick wall though. All people are, it seems, are reflections of their parents. Nobody wants to make up their own minds, just speaking opinions, that when you ask "Why?" over and over to... they end up at dead ends, unable to explain themselves.

Society really is pathetic... but it doesn't bother me. I'll happily watch as they all eat themselves alive, and die as useless as they are. It's the ones like this kid, the ones with no escape. The ones that can see no more than the pathetic society, and feel that they can do nothing at all to stop it.

And I expect many of you agree with me. Some of you may not. Either way, it doesn't matter.

Just ask yourself why. He was thrown out of school. Why? Because he was trying to get out of it. Why? Because he didn't enjoy it? He hated his teachers because they bullied him? He found the work difficult and there was nobody that understood him?

I say we should put the blame where it belongs... but that's wrong really. We should put the understanding where it belongs. We should understand more what's wrong with these people... ways to not help them fit back into society, but to help them see that there's more to life than first appears.
Sun 28/04/02 at 15:07
I can understand where your coming from Grix but I don't really think some people can be helped.
Sun 28/04/02 at 15:07
Regular
"I like cheese"
In a way I agree with you, but I would still say rampaging around the school and shooting 17 people, half of which probably never taught him or affected him in any way is just too much. In my mind, even "too much" is an understatement. I don't have the right words.
Sun 28/04/02 at 17:04
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
The Daily Mail is a patronising rag.

It assumes that people are incapable of seeing mulitple causes for an event.

Let's see... Imagine a boy who has just killed his father.

Reality:
Boy was beaten regularly as a child, father walked out came back later, Boy involved in arguments with father, boy falls in with wrong sort of people at school, boy lives in place where guns are easy to get hold of, boy plays video games, boy listens to Marilyn Manson.

Even that is a simplistic representation of the motivation behind a killing. But the Daily Mail would pick out either video games, or Marilyn Manson as a reason for the killing.

The school killing takes no account of whether the boy was bullied or any number of other factors that could have led to him deciding to kill. Because the problem's never with society. You have to blame a target. The Nazis blamed the Jews for all of Germany's ills. Hitler even said in Mein Kampf that the masses needed a simplified common enemy. It's not done on that level today, but video games and Marilyn Manson have become two of today's targets.

And it's so naive. Maybe video games played a role but don't you think that being a member of a gun club might have been more significant? In America the gun lobby is so powerful that no-one ever blames it for high school shootings. It is protected by the whatever amendment that let's Americans carry firearms. Well that amendment dates back to when people carried muskets not bloody uzis. There's a bit of difference between the two. The point is that we blame the safe things. We never blame ourselves, our society and the farrago of unrelated things that make up a decision to take another person's life.

After all the Mail has to keep it simple so the plebs, as they evidently believe us to be, can understand.
Sun 28/04/02 at 17:10
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Mr. Happy wrote:

Hitler
> even said in Mein Kampf that the masses needed a simplified common
> enemy. It's not done on that level today...

You sure about that? Think about the CIA training Osama Bin Laden to fight the Communist invasion...

1984 is here my friends, and Hate Week is already happening.
Sun 28/04/02 at 21:26
your basing your argument from what you know from the media, and its the media who you disagree with. the fact is you don't know the whole truth because you wernt that boy. whether or not he was 'sick' and wanted to inflcit pain or if he was just a torutered soul who in a world of video games didnt know what he was doing, its hard to know. altough you do make a good point about the papers, but their not going to try to sympathise with a murderer are they?
Mon 29/04/02 at 00:27
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Killing people is easy. He pulled a trigger. That's not difficult to do with a little bit of hate behind you.

The trouble with society is that nobody even attempts to understand.

Yes, he was out of order. Yes, what he did was unforgivable. But no, I don't believe what he did was unpreventable.

But the ants quickly forget.
Mon 29/04/02 at 00:45
Regular
"everyone says it"
Seriously, that makes me very angry as well.

VIDEO GAMES probably HELPED him to a certain extent.

I am bloody angry, personally, they have helped me so much in my life.

Sorry, dont want to type anymore.

kdds;sj;ffd;

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.