GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A question/problem pointing other websites to Instant Site"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/01/08 at 23:37
Regular
First, I would like to use this opportunity to greet everyone here @ Freeola. I really do think you are providing a service with a big difference. So, WELL DONE to you all.

I have one question regarding Instant Sites. I have just recently created one, but have not pointed other sites to this instant site prior to creating it. Now I can see that I am not able (in my Account Control Panel) to point other sites I would like to this Instant Site. Saying this, I am still able to point all the other sites to any of the sites I bought here as they all list separately in my Account Control Panel except of this instant site (the instant web builder site).

Is there a solution/fix for this or any guidance on how I could do that?
(I was first thinking to change the direction of instant site builder to point/serve another domain as I presume that this instant site I am using currently would then re-appear on my Control Panel and I could point the sites I wished to it and then re-establish instant builder back to original site.............. but I am worried that doing this might erase the content and/or the archives I have on this original/first instant site)

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated
Wed 23/01/08 at 12:59
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
To do simple PHP redirection you will have to create a new file and insert the code
<?php
header('Location: http://www.yourinstantsite.com/');
?>

Save the file as index.php and upload it to the htdocs folder of the domain you wish to redirect to you Instant Site.
You can use this same file for any other domains that have Freeola web space and need to be redirected to your Instant Site.
Wed 23/01/08 at 12:41
Regular
Hi loki,

Thank you for your prompt response. Well appreciated and YES PLEASE, I would like some direction/help in setting up a PHP redirect. What are the next steps and how can I do it?

Thank you once again

loki wrote:
> Hi there, and welcome to the forums!
>
> At the minute, unlike a normal (FTP upload) webspace you cannot
> currently set up secondary (additional) addresses to point to an
> Instant Site. However, this is an issue we are keen to address
> and we intend to update MyFreeola in the next couple of months
> to allow secondary addresses to be assigned.
>
> In the meantime - just as a temporary solution - you could use a
> PHP redirect to point all your other addresses to the URL of your
> Instant Site. This simply involves a simple bit of code in the
> index file of a standard webspace folder. Let me know if you
> want a hand setting this up.
>
> But rest assured, we are working on the upgrades to MyFreeola
> and will allow you to add additional addresses via the Instant
> Sites page before too long.
Tue 22/01/08 at 12:08
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

At the minute, unlike a normal (FTP upload) webspace you cannot currently set up secondary (additional) addresses to point to an Instant Site. However, this is an issue we are keen to address and we intend to update MyFreeola in the next couple of months to allow secondary addresses to be assigned.

In the meantime - just as a temporary solution - you could use a PHP redirect to point all your other addresses to the URL of your Instant Site. This simply involves a simple bit of code in the index file of a standard webspace folder. Let me know if you want a hand setting this up.

But rest assured, we are working on the upgrades to MyFreeola and will allow you to add additional addresses via the Instant Sites page before too long.
Mon 21/01/08 at 23:37
Regular
First, I would like to use this opportunity to greet everyone here @ Freeola. I really do think you are providing a service with a big difference. So, WELL DONE to you all.

I have one question regarding Instant Sites. I have just recently created one, but have not pointed other sites to this instant site prior to creating it. Now I can see that I am not able (in my Account Control Panel) to point other sites I would like to this Instant Site. Saying this, I am still able to point all the other sites to any of the sites I bought here as they all list separately in my Account Control Panel except of this instant site (the instant web builder site).

Is there a solution/fix for this or any guidance on how I could do that?
(I was first thinking to change the direction of instant site builder to point/serve another domain as I presume that this instant site I am using currently would then re-appear on my Control Panel and I could point the sites I wished to it and then re-establish instant builder back to original site.............. but I am worried that doing this might erase the content and/or the archives I have on this original/first instant site)

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.