GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The truth about Mario"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/04/02 at 19:50
Regular
In 1980 Shigeru Miyamoto was working on his first video game. The game was based on Popeye, and the game was intended to make Nintendo popular in America. The game was scripted, but shortly after Nintendo lost rights to the character Popeye. Because of this Nintendo asked Miyamoto to create a new game using his own ideas. The game he came up with is Donkey Kong. In this game Mario wasn’t actually called Mario, instead he was only called ‘Jumpman’. As time went on someone working at Nintendo of America noticed Jumpman had a shocking resemblance to Mario Segali, the Italian landlord of Nintendo of America's office in New York. And that was it Jumpman’s name was changed to Mario, that’s all it took. Miyamoto’s next game was Donkey Kong Jr. it had Mario for the very first time, but technically it was Jumpman's second game.

When you look at Mario you see a hat, a moustache, overalls and gloves. This wasn’t because someone decided that was what he was going to look like, each item actually had a reason, because of 1981's immature graphics technology. Miyamoto gave Mario a hat because there wasn’t enough pixels to show the movement of his hairs while he was jumping. Mario was given a moustache because again there wasn’t enough pixels to show what Miyamoto wanted. He wanted to show people that Mario did have a nose, so now he has a big nose with a moustache. The reason for his gloves was that they were to show that Mario’s hands were moving. To do this they had to pick a colour that wouldn't blend in with the background, and white doesn't blend in with any background. Hence Mario's white gloves.

Again the reason for the overalls was so that you could see Mario’s arms moving, so they had to be a different colour than his body. So Mario was given red overalls and a blue shirt, he wore this outfit for the games Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. Then when the game went into the arcades the colour scheme was switched to a red shirt and blue overalls. Then when Super Mario Bros. came out on the NES, Mario had had his original red overalls, but his shirt was a brownish colour. Mario went back to his outfit of blue overalls and a red shirt for Super Mario Bros. 2 and that colour scheme has been kept the same since.

Mario has stared in many games, and I will try to list as many as I can but I am bound to miss one or two out as there are so many of them.

The arcade games that Mario stared in are as follows.
Donkey Kong was an arcade game manufactured by Nintendo. Nintendo holds a copyright of 1981 and was available in both upright and cocktail table versions. It's game play was simple; Make it to the top of the building without getting hit be a barrel, torched by a fireball or squashed by a mudpie.

The story was as follows:-
Donkey Kong has escaped from the zoo and kidnaped Jumpman’s girlfriend, Pauline. Unfortunatly, It's still the 80's and Mario doesnt even have this name yet, instead he is called Jumpman. Jumpman must climb level after level of fallen beams to reach his love at the top. Jumpman's only defense is an occasional hammer and his ability to jump. When he does make it to the top, Donkey Kong just snaches up Pauline and heads for higher ground.

This game was a hidden extra in one of Donkey Kong’s latest outing on the N64, Donkey Kong 64. There are also many Arcade Machine Emulator’s on the internet that will allow you to play it on your PC.

Donkey Kong Jr. was released as a sequel one year after the success of the original Donkey Kong. This the game didn't tell the story of a rampaging pet gorilla, instead the table were turned and it told the tale of a mean master (Mario) who had imprisoned a helpless ape and kept him in a cage. The only hope for the ape's rescue came from his son, known as Junior. Junior had four levels to complete to rescue his dad, and each one was more difficult than the last. The gameplay was markedly different from the original. Instead of barrels as the main obstacle, Junior had to avoid moving mechanical teeth known as Snapjaws.

This game also showed early aspects of Super Mario Bros., as the Snapjaws moved differently, depending on their colour. Blue ones travelled in a straight line, generally to their own death, while red ones moved back and forth, somewhat mechanically. Junior had to manoeuvre his way around hanging vines to reach the top of the cage where Mario had imprisoned his papa. The small ape could climb slowly with two hands on one vine and twice as fast with one hand on two different vines. Touching a Snapjaw, missing a jump, or running out of time meant death for poor Junior. This game was significantly harder than the first one, and once you beat it, helping Donkey Kong and Junior give Mario the boot (literally), the levels began again with a greater number of obstacles.

The rest of the games I will now list, as to keep the post short as possible, because I know you wont read it. That is if you have even got this far.

Mario Bros. was another arcade game by Nintendo.
NES (Nintendo Entertainment System):
Golf
Mario is Missing
Mario's Time Machine
Super Mario Bros. - Mario explores The Mushroom Kingdom in search of Bowser, who has kidnapped Princess Toadstool. Mario mania grasps the nation.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3 - The best-selling game of all time. Mario again searches for Bowser who has kidnapped Princess Toadstool.
Tennis
Super NES:
Dr. Mario
Mario is Missing
Mario Paint
Mario's Time Machine
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World - Mario's first appearance on the Super NES. Bowser has kidnapped Princess Toadstool (sound familiar?) and Mario travels through Dinosaur Land to rescue her. Super Mario World introduces us to Yoshi, which spawns a zillion games riding on his popularity.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - This game takes place in Mario's past. A gang of Yoshis helps baby Mario find his brother Luigi, who was kidnapped by baby Bowser's henchmen. Powered by the FX² chip, this was arguably the best platform game ever made.
Tetris & Dr. Mario
Yoshi's Cookie
Yoshi's Safari
Game Boy/Game Boy Color:
Donkey Kong '94
Game and Watch Gallery
Game and Watch Gallery 2
Game and Watch Gallery 3
Mario Golf
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Super Mario Land - Mario's first appearance on the Game Boy was apparently not supervised by Miyamoto. This game had really strange enemy names, most of which were not translated into English.
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Nintendo 64:
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Super Mario 64 - Mario frolics through a 3-D Mushroom Kingdom to save the kidnapped Peach. Arguably the best game ever made.
Super Smash Bros.
Paper Mario
Virtual Boy:
Mario Clash
Mario's Tennis

That’s Mario in brief for you, if I get time I will continue the story of his life next week. There is so many more things that could be told about Mario (more than my last Zelda one if anyone remembers it).
Mon 29/04/02 at 18:10
Regular
well done, well deserved win
Mon 29/04/02 at 17:37
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
quality stuff!

I have played and completed the original game on anuusal console that my na gave me! It was a blast when i was little but i think i sold it now!

d oyuo know the name of that old console? other games that were on it were pac man smurfs and a racing game! thats all i can remeber!
Mon 29/04/02 at 16:52
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well done, it looks like you certainly know Mario well indeed! :D

So, how is the old Italian plumber today??? Eating pasta I expect!
And do you have any extra info. on Mario Sunshine or any future Mario GC games???? ;)
Mon 29/04/02 at 16:49
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Congrats on the win mate!

Good post!

:)
Mon 29/04/02 at 16:46
Regular
N64:

Yoshi's Story
Mon 29/04/02 at 16:44
Regular
Atari:

Mario Bros

PC:

Mario VGA
Mario's Preschool Fun: Mario Teaches Typing, etc
Mon 29/04/02 at 16:34
Regular
N64:
Mario Party 3
MArio Tennis
Sat 27/04/02 at 20:59
"+ suspicious minds"
proof i have read it.
Sat 27/04/02 at 19:50
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
In 1980 Shigeru Miyamoto was working on his first video game. The game was based on Popeye, and the game was intended to make Nintendo popular in America. The game was scripted, but shortly after Nintendo lost rights to the character Popeye. Because of this Nintendo asked Miyamoto to create a new game using his own ideas. The game he came up with is Donkey Kong. In this game Mario wasn’t actually called Mario, instead he was only called ‘Jumpman’. As time went on someone working at Nintendo of America noticed Jumpman had a shocking resemblance to Mario Segali, the Italian landlord of Nintendo of America's office in New York. And that was it Jumpman’s name was changed to Mario, that’s all it took. Miyamoto’s next game was Donkey Kong Jr. it had Mario for the very first time, but technically it was Jumpman's second game.

When you look at Mario you see a hat, a moustache, overalls and gloves. This wasn’t because someone decided that was what he was going to look like, each item actually had a reason, because of 1981's immature graphics technology. Miyamoto gave Mario a hat because there wasn’t enough pixels to show the movement of his hairs while he was jumping. Mario was given a moustache because again there wasn’t enough pixels to show what Miyamoto wanted. He wanted to show people that Mario did have a nose, so now he has a big nose with a moustache. The reason for his gloves was that they were to show that Mario’s hands were moving. To do this they had to pick a colour that wouldn't blend in with the background, and white doesn't blend in with any background. Hence Mario's white gloves.

Again the reason for the overalls was so that you could see Mario’s arms moving, so they had to be a different colour than his body. So Mario was given red overalls and a blue shirt, he wore this outfit for the games Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. Then when the game went into the arcades the colour scheme was switched to a red shirt and blue overalls. Then when Super Mario Bros. came out on the NES, Mario had had his original red overalls, but his shirt was a brownish colour. Mario went back to his outfit of blue overalls and a red shirt for Super Mario Bros. 2 and that colour scheme has been kept the same since.

Mario has stared in many games, and I will try to list as many as I can but I am bound to miss one or two out as there are so many of them.

The arcade games that Mario stared in are as follows.
Donkey Kong was an arcade game manufactured by Nintendo. Nintendo holds a copyright of 1981 and was available in both upright and cocktail table versions. It's game play was simple; Make it to the top of the building without getting hit be a barrel, torched by a fireball or squashed by a mudpie.

The story was as follows:-
Donkey Kong has escaped from the zoo and kidnaped Jumpman’s girlfriend, Pauline. Unfortunatly, It's still the 80's and Mario doesnt even have this name yet, instead he is called Jumpman. Jumpman must climb level after level of fallen beams to reach his love at the top. Jumpman's only defense is an occasional hammer and his ability to jump. When he does make it to the top, Donkey Kong just snaches up Pauline and heads for higher ground.

This game was a hidden extra in one of Donkey Kong’s latest outing on the N64, Donkey Kong 64. There are also many Arcade Machine Emulator’s on the internet that will allow you to play it on your PC.

Donkey Kong Jr. was released as a sequel one year after the success of the original Donkey Kong. This the game didn't tell the story of a rampaging pet gorilla, instead the table were turned and it told the tale of a mean master (Mario) who had imprisoned a helpless ape and kept him in a cage. The only hope for the ape's rescue came from his son, known as Junior. Junior had four levels to complete to rescue his dad, and each one was more difficult than the last. The gameplay was markedly different from the original. Instead of barrels as the main obstacle, Junior had to avoid moving mechanical teeth known as Snapjaws.

This game also showed early aspects of Super Mario Bros., as the Snapjaws moved differently, depending on their colour. Blue ones travelled in a straight line, generally to their own death, while red ones moved back and forth, somewhat mechanically. Junior had to manoeuvre his way around hanging vines to reach the top of the cage where Mario had imprisoned his papa. The small ape could climb slowly with two hands on one vine and twice as fast with one hand on two different vines. Touching a Snapjaw, missing a jump, or running out of time meant death for poor Junior. This game was significantly harder than the first one, and once you beat it, helping Donkey Kong and Junior give Mario the boot (literally), the levels began again with a greater number of obstacles.

The rest of the games I will now list, as to keep the post short as possible, because I know you wont read it. That is if you have even got this far.

Mario Bros. was another arcade game by Nintendo.
NES (Nintendo Entertainment System):
Golf
Mario is Missing
Mario's Time Machine
Super Mario Bros. - Mario explores The Mushroom Kingdom in search of Bowser, who has kidnapped Princess Toadstool. Mario mania grasps the nation.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3 - The best-selling game of all time. Mario again searches for Bowser who has kidnapped Princess Toadstool.
Tennis
Super NES:
Dr. Mario
Mario is Missing
Mario Paint
Mario's Time Machine
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World - Mario's first appearance on the Super NES. Bowser has kidnapped Princess Toadstool (sound familiar?) and Mario travels through Dinosaur Land to rescue her. Super Mario World introduces us to Yoshi, which spawns a zillion games riding on his popularity.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - This game takes place in Mario's past. A gang of Yoshis helps baby Mario find his brother Luigi, who was kidnapped by baby Bowser's henchmen. Powered by the FX² chip, this was arguably the best platform game ever made.
Tetris & Dr. Mario
Yoshi's Cookie
Yoshi's Safari
Game Boy/Game Boy Color:
Donkey Kong '94
Game and Watch Gallery
Game and Watch Gallery 2
Game and Watch Gallery 3
Mario Golf
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Super Mario Land - Mario's first appearance on the Game Boy was apparently not supervised by Miyamoto. This game had really strange enemy names, most of which were not translated into English.
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
Nintendo 64:
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Super Mario 64 - Mario frolics through a 3-D Mushroom Kingdom to save the kidnapped Peach. Arguably the best game ever made.
Super Smash Bros.
Paper Mario
Virtual Boy:
Mario Clash
Mario's Tennis

That’s Mario in brief for you, if I get time I will continue the story of his life next week. There is so many more things that could be told about Mario (more than my last Zelda one if anyone remembers it).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.