GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The DVD Library"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/08/06 at 14:08
Regular
This is basically I chance for everyone to detail what they have in their DVD libraries and give a synopsis of each. Feel free to say where the film was bought from or how cheaply, and what films you'd like to add to your library

May contain spoilers
- - - - -

tnc's libary
Total DVDs : 25

Single DVDs

Dirty Harry : Got it free in a Deagostini magazine promotional and have enjoyed it subsequently. One of Clint Eastwood's definitive roles and quite a revolutionary film for its time. Rated 18

The Godfather : Part 1 : Need I say more? Almost undoubtedly one of the greatest crime films ever, and for some perhaps one of the best films ever. Picked it up for a fiver in Woolies. Rated 18

King Kong : The most recent installment of this timeless classic has a thoughtful storyline with good casting and brilliant SPX. Goes from action to action and will leave you on the edge of your seat. Rated 15

The Last Samurai : Brilliant film in what I'd class as one of Tom Cruise's best performances. Study of a way of life, while still containing some fantastic battle sequences. Picked it up on Pirate in Dubai. Rated 15

Master And Commander : Part of the Dubai Pirated set, not something I'd have given a look in to, but upon watching it, it was an enjoyable at sea adventure. Rated 15

Lord Of The Rings : Return Of The King : The final film in the Pirate trilogy. The best film in the LOTR trilogy to my mind, with amazing battle scenes and a more fast-paced storyline. Worth every minute of three hours. Rated 12

Saving Private Ryan : Excellent war film from the bearded one himself, chronicling the D-Day landings through to the end of the war, including unique perspectives and well-used camera angles to convey the horror of war. Got it in ASDA yesterday for a fiver. Rated 15

The Shawshank Redemption : A thinking man's film, detailing a man's hope in a life sentence in prison and his eventual escape. Hard to do justice to in a description. Excellent, you have to see it. Got it in ASDA for a measly £3 yesterday, and I'd advise you to buy it if you don't own it too!. Rated 15

Open Water : Some didn't think much of this film, but I found the low-budget Jaw style tense and exciting, only feeling slightly miffed by the ending. Worth a view. Got it on eBay but I see it's now £6 in ASDA. Rated 15

Cabin Fever : Awful attempt at a horror film. Not tense, not funny, not exciting, not good. 'Teen film' if ever I saw one. Bought in Woolworths but advise you never to buy it from anywhere. Rated 15

Scary Movie 3 : Reasonably funny horror spoof but not as good as it's predecessors by a long shot. Still worth a view. Got it in Oman on VCD fairly cheaply. Rated 15

The Bounty : Fantastic performances from Anthony Hopkins and supporting cast in this mutineering, sea-faring adventure tale. Well told and worth the nothing it cost. Yet another paper freebie. Rated 15

Finding Nemo : I'm a sucker for this reasonably amusing, brilliantly animated film. One for the family, not just the kids. Again, cheap VCD picked up in Oman. Rated U

Troy : Brilliant war film with constant action. A definite no brainer, and completely off the story of the Illyad in places, but a good cast and dusty battle sequences make it a good buy. Bought it from WH Smith when it first came out for a tenner. Rated 15

Spiderman : The best comic hero film in my opinion. Good storyline and decent fight sequences. Even the SFX are pretty good. One to watch. Bought for £4 on eBay. Rated 12

House Of Flying Daggers : The best martial arts film I've ever seen, beautifully rendered and without too much of the annoying and surreal flying through tree tops. Excellent storyline, full of twists. Worth it, though not for all as it is all in Chinese with subtitles. Rated 15

The Alamo : Decent depiction of Davey Crockett and Wild West companion's last days defending the Alamo fort on the Texas borderline. Good casting and decent battle scenes add to the film, though Disney-style lack of violence takes away from the reality slightly, though makes it more accessible to the family. Was £8 in Woolies. Rated 12

Pirates Of The Caribbean : Much better than the second film in my opinion. A great family swashbuckler with a great performance from Johnny Depp and excellent SFX throughout. Got my an A* in a GCSE English coursework review so I've got nothing against it. Rated 12

Spy Kids 2 : Ug. Not a particularly good film, was given to me by friends of my parents. If you have a family with you then it's one for all with some mildly amusing moments and harmless action. Rated PG

Spy Kids 3 : 3D : Given to me by the same people, the film's reasonable if you can stand wearing 3D glasses for around 2 hours. If not definitely one for the kids. Rated PG

Star Wars Episode 3 : Revenge Of The Sith : The best Star Wars film in my mind, due to the dark plot of Anakin's demise and simply the SFX used throughout the film. Dark, brooding and intense; still full of the customary lightsaber battles and also large pitched battles. Got it cheaply on eBay. Rated PG

Undercover Brother : Excellent Austin Powers-eque film with genuine moments of hilarity and an original theme running throughout. Got it in Oman and the rating wasn't printed on the side. Rated 12 or 15

DVD Boxsets

The Fresh Prince : Series One : Classic comedy from the early 90s with the Fresh Prince, Will Smith, himself. One for the whole family, with touching moments and side-splitting humour. Got it for £15 on eBay. Rated PG

Little Britain : Series One : Not for everyone due to the repetitive nature of the sketches, but for me some classic British comedy with genuinely funny moments and with the added bonuses is something fans should pick up. Got for £16 in HMV. Rated 15

South Park : Volume 2 : I'm not usually a fan of South Park but some classic episodes in here such as 'Pinkeye' and 'Death' that have some genuine humour as well as some amusing toilet humour. The 'interview with Matt and Trey' is amusing and is definitely for the fans. Got it for £20 several five years back on Play.com. Rated 15
Mon 04/09/06 at 16:20
Regular
I decided to impulse-buy the Special Edition version of 'The Long Way Round' just because I've seen the programme several times and it's always been quite good. Anyone I know who I ask about it said it was excellent too.

As well as that I picked up 'Gladiator', because I like the film, and because I could get a 3-disc Special Edition for my money. On top of that I got 'Carlito's Way', which I've never seen, yet promises to be good... If only as it has Pacino reprising a role as a gangster

Malcolm in the Middle, on Amazon and more legitimate sites anyway, has only got Series One on NTSC. Futurama was out this time around as every boxset went up from £12.99-15.99 it was at a few weeks back to £29.99. My local HMV is cheaper.
Sun 03/09/06 at 23:17
Regular
Only Season 1 of MITM is out, isn't it? And that's Region 1.

Apocalypse Now is a must-have, and Starship Troopers is also great.
Thu 31/08/06 at 19:35
Regular
Got another voucher on the way for this post, as it happens ;) and wondered if anyone had any recommendations of what DVDs to buy with it.

Of course, that has to be bearing in mind Amazon's prices and obviously I don't want something I already own.

I was thinking one of these choices;

Apocalypse Now!
The Deer Hunter
Goodfellas

...and then something out of these choices;

Gladiator
The Perfect Storm
The Godfather : 3
Starship Troopers

Or maybe a box set along the lines of;

The Simpsons Series 7 +
Futurama
Scrubs
Malcolm in the Middle

Of course, any completely original ideas would be appreciated.
Wed 23/08/06 at 12:38
"possibly impossible"
Mystique wrote:
> Click
> here

>
> Phft, no way am I doing that for 377 DVDs

Good to see you're still keeping you DVDprofiler list up to date Myst...

Here's mine:

Click
> here

Actually, add Chicken Little, Narnia, Harry Potter 4 and Shark Boy & Lava Girl to that...
Tue 22/08/06 at 19:34
Regular
Just to say for my £30 of Amazon vouchers I got;

The Godfather : Part 2
Scarface
Futurama Series 3

Also, a thought I had earlier; Little Britain series one was such a waste of money, as I got it around the time it came out. It was a waste because I spent £16 for four hours worth :(

Ah well, live and learn.
Tue 22/08/06 at 18:21
Regular
Click here

Phft, no way am I doing that for 377 DVDs
Wed 16/08/06 at 23:28
Regular
Cruciatum Fixative wrote:
> Looks woefully upon his collection of 3 DVDs.

oh my :(

we only have 300. I'll have to list some of the good ones but there arent many :) I'm always ranting about the crap ones my brother keeps buying.
Wed 16/08/06 at 23:22
Regular
"Mooching around"
Looks woefully upon his collection of 3 DVDs.
Wed 16/08/06 at 18:55
Regular
Ahh, favourites from your collection. That's a much easier idea.

Memento
Oldboy
Peep Show
The Hustler
Wed 16/08/06 at 18:43
Regular
"lets go back"
I'll estimate that I have about 200 so there is no way Im going to bother to list them because it would take too long.

Some of my favourite boxset are:

Back to the Future trilogy
Alien Quadrilogy

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.