GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another School Shooting"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/04/02 at 22:06
Regular
In Germany

17 killed and himself

*shakes head*
Sun 28/04/02 at 15:15
Regular
"That's right!"
Well, that depends on your angle

Sociologists would claim it had something to do with his upbringing, his family, TV and videogames, or society

Psychologists would claim he was born like that, just "different"
Sun 28/04/02 at 15:09
It really does make you wonder what makes people do this sort of thing.
Sun 28/04/02 at 15:03
Regular
"I like cheese"
allardini wrote:
> It's just depressing what some people's thoughts on the value of human
> life is.

Exactly, although technically it's 17 that are dead, this will affect so many people's lives in a bad way. Family, friends, and I expect a lot of the teachers had kids too.
Sun 28/04/02 at 14:04
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
It's just depressing what some people's thoughts on the value of human life is.
Sat 27/04/02 at 16:50
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Ant wrote:
> blahpro wrote:
> Sick. He did it because they expelled him.
>
> Yeah, probably some "hardnut" who didn't care about what job
> he got and didn't care for other people before, and so when he
> deservedly got expelled decided to kill everyone else.
>
> At least he's dead too.

...along with the other 17 of them...
Sat 27/04/02 at 14:20
Regular
"I like cheese"
blahpro wrote:
> Sick. He did it because they expelled him.

Yeah, probably some "hardnut" who didn't care about what job he got and didn't care for other people before, and so when he deservedly got expelled decided to kill everyone else.

At least he's dead too.
Sat 27/04/02 at 10:38
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Sick. He did it because they expelled him.
Fri 26/04/02 at 22:58
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Gah..second one. Terrible on that scale, but the previous German school shooting hit me more...I was there a few months before it happened, visiting one of my dad's friends for 50th birthday, he's a deputy head at the school. Any memory of that place for me is just a party, my dad bursting out of a pink easter egg or some strange german strippers with the principal..who was then shot a while later.

All just seems so wrong, all the memories people have of the place completely overshadowed by something like this..it's an awful thing to happen anywhere, but especially for these kids' memories of their school days - just can't comprehend something like that happening here..
Fri 26/04/02 at 22:35
Regular
sick sick bloke. im in shock. 8 year old kids in the school at the time? thats just flamin sickening
Fri 26/04/02 at 22:31
This is quite ironic, as Germany have some of the strickest gun-laws in Europe! Here's the article of the shooting I found (sorry for the long post in advance):

http://www.faz.com/IN/INtemplates/ eFAZ/docmain.asp?rub={B1311FCC-FBFB-11D 2-B228-00105A9CAF88}&doc= {2162806B-BB49-443D-AA10-144BB6319B4C}

Shooting at Erfurt High School Claims 18 Lives

F.A.Z. ERFURT. A student recently expelled from an Erfurt high school went on a shooting rampage at the school on Friday morning, killing 14 school staff members, two students and a policeman before turning the gun on himself, police said.

The shooting at Johann Gutenberg Gymnasium in the state of Thuringia was the worst such shooting in history, outstripping even the violence of the April 20, 1999, massacre at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, in which two teenage boys opened fire on their fellow students and faculty, killing 13 people and then themselves.

It was also Germany's second school shooting within two months, following one in February in which a 22-year-old man shot to death two former bosses and his high school's principal outside Munich after losing his job.

Chancellor Gerhard Schröder issued a statement on the shooting in the eastern German city on Friday afternoon. "We are stunned by this horrifying crime," he said. "It is an experience that goes beyond anything we can imagine."

Thuringia's interior minister, Manfred Scherer, identified the dead in Erfurt as 11 males and seven females, including two girls. News reports said the school employees among the dead were its acting director, 12 teachers and a secretary. Four other people were reported wounded as well.

The victims' bodies were scattered around the school's hallways, bathrooms and classrooms.

A police spokesman described the gunman, who, like his Columbine counterparts, was clad in black, as a 19-year-old former student at the school who was expelled several weeks ago. The reason for the expulsion was not available.

The incident began around 11 a.m., when students heard the first shots, witnesses said. The school janitor put in an emergency call to police at 11:05 a.m., telling them, "There's shooting going on."

One 13-year-old girl at the school said she thought the shooting was a joke when she first heard it. "But then I saw a teacher dead in the hallway in front of room 209 and a gunman in black carrying a weapon."

Students taking final exams for their high-school diplomas barricaded themselves in the school assembly hall when they heard the shots. The police, who arrived shortly afterward, exchanged shots with the gunman. One officer, 42, was killed by what is believed to have been a shot the gunman fired from a window. Police then withdrew and called in Erfurt's special police commando force.

The gunman, who was reportedly carrying a handgun and a pump-action shotgun, took refuge in a room on the second floor, where police were unable to make contact with him for more than four hours. In a window of a fourth floor classroom, a sign on which the word Hilfe (Help) had been scrawled was plastered, and a girl could be seen looking out.

After the shooting began, police used red-and-white crime scene tape to cordon off the school. Located in a late 19th century building in a busy residential neighborhood, it teaches students from grades five through 12. Shocked students, parents and teachers were given medical attention on Friday on a sports field nearby. The police commando force brought in snipers and placed officers with machine guns in bullet-proof vests as guards at the school's entrances.

Initial reports indicated that there might be two gunmen involved. Police accordingly spent the afternoon combing the building and nearby sewers for a second suspect.

Kills 17, HimselfThe gunman is reported to have killed himself when police approached him. Police do not believe any other victims were shot after they arrived.

During the course of the day, 180 students were brought to safety. Witnesses described how fifth-grade students fled the school in terror, shaking from head to toe. One witness said that obtaining a weapon in Erfurt was not difficult and that guns could be bought for euro 250 ($224) in the city's shopping district.

Thuringia's premier, Bernhard Vogel, said he was "horrified by the bloodbath." He told a German radio station that his sympathies went out to the dead, the wounded and their relatives, and that he hoped for a speedy investigation into the incident. Upon hearing news of the shooting, he left a parliament session in Berlin to speak at a news conference in Erfurt, Thuringia's capital. Flags flew at half-staff there in the afternoon, and many evening engagements were canceled.

There were 8 year old children in that school. The b*****d...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.