GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game Advertising"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/04/02 at 11:28
Regular
I was in the middle of watching jackass on MTV when the adverts began rolling. Much to my surprise I was watching an advert with all these strange cubes with things happening inside them. Then I realised "This must be the gamecube advert!", which I was right. After seeing Nintendos advert, it gave me a real buzz of excitement inside having seen actual game footage in the advert. I think this has got to be one of the best and original game related adverts ever!. It combines a mix of mystery, anticipation and game footage which actually show what the gamecube is about. Unlike the playstation 2, where I was totally confused with all this "third place" nonsense, which didnt leave me thinking "Oh, I must get a playstation 2 now".

The XBOX adverts are good too, but lack that special spark that Nintendo has. The advert where the baby is born and ages within seconds was very well made, but again it didnt show anything the XBOX is capable of. The other XBOX advert with all the animals "Singing" left me a bit confused also. The actual game adverts though are very good because they show game footage (Which we need to see as we want to see what it is capable of). For example the Dead or Alive 3 combines game footage which human interaction.

Why do companys like sony waste their advertising money on stupid concepts like "The third place" ?. Also why is it that game adverts are very rarely seen these days? You see more adverts about car insurance, life insurance and debt problems than computer game adverts which I find is wrong because the game market is so huge. Does anyone agree with me?
Fri 26/04/02 at 11:28
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
I was in the middle of watching jackass on MTV when the adverts began rolling. Much to my surprise I was watching an advert with all these strange cubes with things happening inside them. Then I realised "This must be the gamecube advert!", which I was right. After seeing Nintendos advert, it gave me a real buzz of excitement inside having seen actual game footage in the advert. I think this has got to be one of the best and original game related adverts ever!. It combines a mix of mystery, anticipation and game footage which actually show what the gamecube is about. Unlike the playstation 2, where I was totally confused with all this "third place" nonsense, which didnt leave me thinking "Oh, I must get a playstation 2 now".

The XBOX adverts are good too, but lack that special spark that Nintendo has. The advert where the baby is born and ages within seconds was very well made, but again it didnt show anything the XBOX is capable of. The other XBOX advert with all the animals "Singing" left me a bit confused also. The actual game adverts though are very good because they show game footage (Which we need to see as we want to see what it is capable of). For example the Dead or Alive 3 combines game footage which human interaction.

Why do companys like sony waste their advertising money on stupid concepts like "The third place" ?. Also why is it that game adverts are very rarely seen these days? You see more adverts about car insurance, life insurance and debt problems than computer game adverts which I find is wrong because the game market is so huge. Does anyone agree with me?
Fri 26/04/02 at 11:33
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Puddleface wrote:
> Why do companys like sony waste their advertising money on stupid
> concepts like "The third place" ?. Also why is it that game
> adverts are very rarely seen these days? You see more adverts about
> car insurance, life insurance and debt problems than computer game
> adverts which I find is wrong because the game market is so huge.
> Does anyone agree with me?

I agree 100%. Games area big business, yet we don't really see many decent ads which is a shame as games are getting so great looking now and they're not shown off enough on television.
I also agree that the Sony adverts are complete tripe, but they achieved what they were designed for: to get into the publics conscienceness.
Fri 26/04/02 at 18:17
Regular
"Brrrrr."
If sony are gonna do this properly, they should join the war and lower the price of the PS2
Fri 26/04/02 at 18:19
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
I think that Sony don't need to bother as PS2 has sold a lot already and i don't think many people will buy it over the GC or Xbox!
Fri 26/04/02 at 18:33
Regular
The fact that ypu are talking about it means the campaign has worked - subliminally Sony ahev got you thinking about the PS2 in your subconcious and talking to other people about it - raising awareness. Now that's marketing, something I think Nintendo have copied a little with their surreal marketing campaign running at the moment.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.