GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I Need a Hero: The Videogame Hero Hall of Fame."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/04/02 at 14:51
Regular
If I were a damsel in distress, albeit one with hairy legs, which strong gaming protagonists would I like to come and rescue me?
OR,
If I were a nefarious villain, which hero would I not want knocking on the door of my evil lair and kicking my big iniquitous rear-end?

Videogames are littered with heroes, some special, and some not so special. But what makes a good hero?
According to my trusty Collins dictionary sat next to me, a hero is “the projection of an organ or part through the lining of the cavity in which it is normally situated, esp. the intestine through the front wall of the abdominal cavity.”
No....wait...that’s the definition for “hernia” Totoro you fool! (I had a hernia once...ouch it was painful)
The word “hero” (situated just under the word “hernia” in the dictionary) means, “A man distinguished by exceptional courage.”
Or you could have a heroine, for those who are more “P.C”.

So let’s have a look at some of the good and not so good heroes from videogames.

THE GOOD:

SOLID SNAKE: Our mate Solid is the daddy of videogame heroes. He has an extremely gruff voice, dishevelled mullet, bristly beard and cool sneaking suit.
Snake is always combating the evil plans of various megalomaniac villains attempting to use giant robots from running amok.
He hides in cardboard boxes, has amazing athletic skill, is proficient in many types of combat and use of weapons and can use small rations to somehow heal bad gunshot wounds.
He hangs around with a nerd called Otacon, who makes Snake look even cooler.
Although he always has a tough time in his games, he always manages to get the job done, despite difficult circumstances.
Solid Snake, we salute you!

MARIO: He may be a slightly podgy plumber with a fetish for dungarees and enjoys wearing a dodgy Village People style moustache on his upper lip, but he’s still a great videogame hero as he always beats big bosses.
Although he doesn’t seem to catch on to Bowser’s ever similar plans of kidnapping Princess Toadstool, Mario constantly survives all the traps and enemies Bowser carefully lays out for him, mostly because Bowser's underling Koopas are so incompetent. Eventually Mario rescues the Princess and does away with Bowser. But Mario is never able to actually kill the big green brute, just teach him a lesson!
Needless to say, this cycle of kidnapping and rescue has repeated itself several times.
He can fly, shoot fire, swim, wear a racoon suit, wear a frog costume has a dinosaur as a pet and loves magic mushrooms.
And of course, Mario (then known as ‘Jumpman’) had many run-ins with Donkey Kong, frequently kicking the big apes hairy butt and rescuing the girl.
Mario, we salute you!

GEORGE STOBBART: WHAT!?! You may think! But I believe the hero from the Broken Sword series is a great guy. An American tourist, investigator, nosey-parker and all-round nice guy, George may not be people’s ideal type of hero as he has no real physical presence, but what he lacks in muscles, he more than makes up for with his intelligence, witticism and sarcasm. He’s the king of the witty put-downs, and is always able to solve tricky puzzles, beat the baddies and get the French girl.
He’s defiantly a charismatic if slightly cynical lead, who makes playing the games a real joy.
George Stobbart, we salute you!

JOHN MULLINS: The hero of Soldier of Fortune is another tough-guy hero, who is probably the only man who can brutally maim evil henchmen and scatter their body parts over a street whilst successfully wearing a hairy caterpillar on his top lip.
At the end of the game he even does the action movie cliché of jumping out of a huge explosion.
John Mullins, we salute you!

Other great videogame heroes include alien butt kicker Duke Nukem, super spy James Bond 007, abusive squirrel Conker, Shadowman and Samus.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

MAX PAYNE: It may be a fairly good game, but I don’t really rate maxy boy as a great videogame hero.
Sure, he cleans up the scum of the streets with graceful gunfire showdowns, but he’s a dude with some serious problems. He spouts a lot of rubbish in all the cutscenes, with pretentious and stupid metaphors and he’s had some bad family problems and traumas.

MICHAEL JACKSON: Michael Jackson used to be the coolest guy on Earth. He had a pet monkey called Bubbles The Chimp, could do ‘The Moonwalk’ and his music videos were always great. He had questionable dress sense and sometimes wore one single silver spangley glove.
For some reason, Sega teamed up with the gloved groper in the early nineties to create Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.
In the game, Michael rescued kidnapped children (*snigger*) from the ingeniously named Mr. Big with the aid of his crazy moonwalking skills and good friend Bubbles The Chimp. He also had a special dance attack where all the enemies danced along with Michael then died!
When you met Bubbles the Chimp, he turned Michael into a robot of mass destruction called Moonwalker, however the robot looked slightly like it was made in the Blue Peter studio, and couldn’t kill a fly let alone a gang of baddies.
To save the kidnapped children, all Michael needed to do was touch them (*extreme snigger*). Michael touching a child in a videogame cost only a few pence, but in real-life it costs M.J. a couple million to settle out of court.

RYO HAZUKI: Star of the Shenmue series, Ryo has an extremely monotone voice that drones on & on & on & on. He feeds kittens, talks to very young children and old people in the street, fights like a girl and was beaten up by Lan Di, a poorly dressed old man.
In his spare time, there’s nothing Ryo likes more than forklift truck racing and collecting small plastic toys.
The damning evidence points to one thing; Ryo is a nerd.

LINK: Don’t get me wrong, Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Majora’s Mask are two of the best games ever, but is Link a great hero? He’s a midget elf for Christ sake!
He’s handy with a sword, a slingshot and a bow-and-arrow, but I bet my little sister could still beat him up.

DAVID ARMSTRONG: Though I love Operation Flashpoint, I can’t help that feel that the protagonist is a bit of a wimp. He shows lots of emotion, which I guess isn’t too bad, but he can die in one hit!! That shouldn’t happen to a videogame hero, he should be made of steel and be able to withstand several gunshot wounds before shuffling off his virtual mortal coil.

SUPERMAN: Though he’s a great hero in the comic books and cartoons, Clark Kent’s bemuscled alter ego just doesn’t cut the mustard as a videogames hero…Just take a look at Superman64 and the facts present themselves.

Raiden out of Metal Gear Solid 2...Hmmm...The jury remains unsure about this guy, is he a good hero or a not so good hero???

So as we have seen, some gaming heroes will forever live in the ‘Videogame Hero Hall of Fame’, whilst others will be locked out, only being able to press their noses onto the window and peer in.
If you have any other suggestions for who should go in the hero hall of fame then please let me know. Or perhaps you have a suggestion for a pretty naff hero?

Thanks for reading :)
Thu 25/04/02 at 14:51
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
If I were a damsel in distress, albeit one with hairy legs, which strong gaming protagonists would I like to come and rescue me?
OR,
If I were a nefarious villain, which hero would I not want knocking on the door of my evil lair and kicking my big iniquitous rear-end?

Videogames are littered with heroes, some special, and some not so special. But what makes a good hero?
According to my trusty Collins dictionary sat next to me, a hero is “the projection of an organ or part through the lining of the cavity in which it is normally situated, esp. the intestine through the front wall of the abdominal cavity.”
No....wait...that’s the definition for “hernia” Totoro you fool! (I had a hernia once...ouch it was painful)
The word “hero” (situated just under the word “hernia” in the dictionary) means, “A man distinguished by exceptional courage.”
Or you could have a heroine, for those who are more “P.C”.

So let’s have a look at some of the good and not so good heroes from videogames.

THE GOOD:

SOLID SNAKE: Our mate Solid is the daddy of videogame heroes. He has an extremely gruff voice, dishevelled mullet, bristly beard and cool sneaking suit.
Snake is always combating the evil plans of various megalomaniac villains attempting to use giant robots from running amok.
He hides in cardboard boxes, has amazing athletic skill, is proficient in many types of combat and use of weapons and can use small rations to somehow heal bad gunshot wounds.
He hangs around with a nerd called Otacon, who makes Snake look even cooler.
Although he always has a tough time in his games, he always manages to get the job done, despite difficult circumstances.
Solid Snake, we salute you!

MARIO: He may be a slightly podgy plumber with a fetish for dungarees and enjoys wearing a dodgy Village People style moustache on his upper lip, but he’s still a great videogame hero as he always beats big bosses.
Although he doesn’t seem to catch on to Bowser’s ever similar plans of kidnapping Princess Toadstool, Mario constantly survives all the traps and enemies Bowser carefully lays out for him, mostly because Bowser's underling Koopas are so incompetent. Eventually Mario rescues the Princess and does away with Bowser. But Mario is never able to actually kill the big green brute, just teach him a lesson!
Needless to say, this cycle of kidnapping and rescue has repeated itself several times.
He can fly, shoot fire, swim, wear a racoon suit, wear a frog costume has a dinosaur as a pet and loves magic mushrooms.
And of course, Mario (then known as ‘Jumpman’) had many run-ins with Donkey Kong, frequently kicking the big apes hairy butt and rescuing the girl.
Mario, we salute you!

GEORGE STOBBART: WHAT!?! You may think! But I believe the hero from the Broken Sword series is a great guy. An American tourist, investigator, nosey-parker and all-round nice guy, George may not be people’s ideal type of hero as he has no real physical presence, but what he lacks in muscles, he more than makes up for with his intelligence, witticism and sarcasm. He’s the king of the witty put-downs, and is always able to solve tricky puzzles, beat the baddies and get the French girl.
He’s defiantly a charismatic if slightly cynical lead, who makes playing the games a real joy.
George Stobbart, we salute you!

JOHN MULLINS: The hero of Soldier of Fortune is another tough-guy hero, who is probably the only man who can brutally maim evil henchmen and scatter their body parts over a street whilst successfully wearing a hairy caterpillar on his top lip.
At the end of the game he even does the action movie cliché of jumping out of a huge explosion.
John Mullins, we salute you!

Other great videogame heroes include alien butt kicker Duke Nukem, super spy James Bond 007, abusive squirrel Conker, Shadowman and Samus.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

MAX PAYNE: It may be a fairly good game, but I don’t really rate maxy boy as a great videogame hero.
Sure, he cleans up the scum of the streets with graceful gunfire showdowns, but he’s a dude with some serious problems. He spouts a lot of rubbish in all the cutscenes, with pretentious and stupid metaphors and he’s had some bad family problems and traumas.

MICHAEL JACKSON: Michael Jackson used to be the coolest guy on Earth. He had a pet monkey called Bubbles The Chimp, could do ‘The Moonwalk’ and his music videos were always great. He had questionable dress sense and sometimes wore one single silver spangley glove.
For some reason, Sega teamed up with the gloved groper in the early nineties to create Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.
In the game, Michael rescued kidnapped children (*snigger*) from the ingeniously named Mr. Big with the aid of his crazy moonwalking skills and good friend Bubbles The Chimp. He also had a special dance attack where all the enemies danced along with Michael then died!
When you met Bubbles the Chimp, he turned Michael into a robot of mass destruction called Moonwalker, however the robot looked slightly like it was made in the Blue Peter studio, and couldn’t kill a fly let alone a gang of baddies.
To save the kidnapped children, all Michael needed to do was touch them (*extreme snigger*). Michael touching a child in a videogame cost only a few pence, but in real-life it costs M.J. a couple million to settle out of court.

RYO HAZUKI: Star of the Shenmue series, Ryo has an extremely monotone voice that drones on & on & on & on. He feeds kittens, talks to very young children and old people in the street, fights like a girl and was beaten up by Lan Di, a poorly dressed old man.
In his spare time, there’s nothing Ryo likes more than forklift truck racing and collecting small plastic toys.
The damning evidence points to one thing; Ryo is a nerd.

LINK: Don’t get me wrong, Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Majora’s Mask are two of the best games ever, but is Link a great hero? He’s a midget elf for Christ sake!
He’s handy with a sword, a slingshot and a bow-and-arrow, but I bet my little sister could still beat him up.

DAVID ARMSTRONG: Though I love Operation Flashpoint, I can’t help that feel that the protagonist is a bit of a wimp. He shows lots of emotion, which I guess isn’t too bad, but he can die in one hit!! That shouldn’t happen to a videogame hero, he should be made of steel and be able to withstand several gunshot wounds before shuffling off his virtual mortal coil.

SUPERMAN: Though he’s a great hero in the comic books and cartoons, Clark Kent’s bemuscled alter ego just doesn’t cut the mustard as a videogames hero…Just take a look at Superman64 and the facts present themselves.

Raiden out of Metal Gear Solid 2...Hmmm...The jury remains unsure about this guy, is he a good hero or a not so good hero???

So as we have seen, some gaming heroes will forever live in the ‘Videogame Hero Hall of Fame’, whilst others will be locked out, only being able to press their noses onto the window and peer in.
If you have any other suggestions for who should go in the hero hall of fame then please let me know. Or perhaps you have a suggestion for a pretty naff hero?

Thanks for reading :)
Thu 25/04/02 at 15:14
Regular
Yep. Samus ranks as one of the best characters ever, even if she is little known nowdays.

Pity we won't be able to see her in er next adventure (Stupid Nintendo/Retro game designers!)
Thu 25/04/02 at 20:51
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Wow! This is the only new post in Prime today so far. What's the matter people, run out of good ideas for new topics? ;)
Fri 26/04/02 at 07:33
Regular
Ryo Hazuki...fights like a girl!!!

Why you little...
Fri 26/04/02 at 09:18
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Maybe I'm showing my age (or maybe you're showing yours), but there was a whole host of genius heros from the ages gone by;

Miner Willy: What a guy! Having escaped from a bizarre mine that he was trapped in for no good reason, he throws a massive party, get's his house trashed, and is forced by his housekeeper to clean up before he can go and chunder in the toilet.

Bub & Bob: Not content with being bubble-blowing dinosaurs, they transform in to kewt ickle kiddies and start chucking rainbows around the place. Bullet-time? Pah!

I could go on, but unfortunately, the work-beastie calleth...
Fri 26/04/02 at 09:50
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
RM18 wrote:
> Ryo Hazuki...fights like a girl!!!
>
> Why you little...

Well, I guess I was being a little harsh, as he's not too bad at the old scrapping lark. But the rest of the stuff I wrote about Ryo is pretty true, and I forgot to mention the fact that he's always on the lookout for saiors ;)
Fri 26/04/02 at 09:54
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Jonman wrote:
> Maybe I'm showing my age (or maybe you're showing yours), but there
> was a whole host of genius heros from the ages gone by;

Yes there certainly were, I remember Wally Weak, star of 'Automania', 'Pyjamarama', 'Everyone's a Wally' and 'Three Weaks in Paradise'.

And there was Jack the Nipper, a small and very ugly baby who could fire a peas at people with his pea shooter.
Fri 26/04/02 at 16:32
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
Good Hero:
Spiderman, with his new game coming out in just over a month I can't believe he hasn't be mentioned. Spiderman has consistently produced good games which have been true to his special powers.

Lara Croft, a hairy legged damsel might appreciate being rescued by this busty wonder. Perhaps the villain would be too happy that this heroine came knocking on their door?

Bad Hero:
Alien from AvP, eeeeerrrr, well I don't any villan would want an Alien knowing on the door of their evil lair however I don't think the damsel would appreciate an Alien infiltrating the villain's lair, would you.
Mon 29/04/02 at 13:58
Surely you are not going to forget Bond. OK, his games come from the movies, but i don't think that makes him any less a hero, or the villain any more pleased to see him!

He has gadjets galore, enough room in his tux for a hundred guns with ammo, and more enemies than you can shake a PPK at!
Tue 30/04/02 at 10:23
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Cheers for choosing this as the GAD winner SR! :) :)
I appreciate the win, and I hope people like the hero hall of fame, and I enjoyed writing it.

And i've even crept into the top 30 GAD winners list.

Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.