GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sick of Xbox owners!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/04/02 at 12:20
Regular
I dont know about you but i'm sick of stuck up Xbox owners bragging about how much better there console is than the PS2. Why do they say this when all the games they are eagerly anticipating are already out on the PS2 (GTA3)

Also, they'll go on and on about the Xbox's improved spec, etc, etc... All i can say is that the Dreamcast was more powerful than the PS1 by a mile. And look what happened.

I think the Xbox is a good console. However, i just want it to fail cos one of my biggest dreams is seeing Xbox owners' faces a year from now when their console is out of production and the games are being flogged for a fiver each, like the Dreamcast's are now.
Fri 26/04/02 at 17:12
"For the horde!!!!"
doublezero wrote:
> Thats ok...Pretty funny that your mate has over £1000 worth of
> PC which still can't match the graphics of a £199.99 Xbox!

that as got to hurt
Fri 26/04/02 at 16:23
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
Nice stats there Milenko, an interesting read. But why doesn't everyone just enjoy what console, and games they have and leave everyone else to there own opinions. I love the PS2, (had a monster 4 player pro evo last night for 4 hours) and if you have a xbox and like it then good on ya, Happy Gaming everyone.
Fri 26/04/02 at 14:53
And all *I'm* trying to do is to sl*g off those people, who sl*g off the people sl*gging off the console wars debates. Or is I'm sl*gging off the people who sl*g off the people who sl*g off the people sl*gging off the console wars debates? Am I sl*gging off myself? Quite probably.

Do I win the prize for the most uses of the word 'sl*g' in a post? I've heard Guy Ritchie's interested into making this into a cockernee crime caper. Sl*g.
Fri 26/04/02 at 14:41
Regular
"cant think of one.."
Thats ok...Pretty funny that your mate has over £1000 worth of PC which still can't match the graphics of a £199.99 Xbox!
Fri 26/04/02 at 13:18
Gotta point out, my previous post was just copied and pasted. I didn't type a word of it myself, and to discredit it a bit, the info was posted on a Sony forum.

Apologies for taking up so much space.
Fri 26/04/02 at 13:08
Regular
"cant think of one.."
RM18 wrote:
> I'm sick of these 'I hate Xbox' or 'PS2 is much better' threads

I wasn't trying to sl*g off Xbox owners as a whole and despite prefering the PS2 i wasn't saying the PS2 was better. I was just saying that i hate the Xbox owners who sl*g off the PS2 all the time.

They should just let the console war develop and run its own course... then we'll see what happens.
Fri 26/04/02 at 06:54
Regular
I'm sick of these 'I hate Xbox' or 'PS2 is much better' threads
Thu 25/04/02 at 13:27
These specs were taken from www.webnweb.com/vgames/html. Considering this READ the following and digest as much technical info as you can:

Xbox System Specs

CPU/System Memory:

Intel Pentium III Processor (733Mhz).
64MB RAM.

Graphics:

300 MHz Xchip by Microsoft and nVIDIA.
300,000,000 micropolygons/particles per second.
1920x1080 maximum screen resolution.

Sound:

64 Audio channels.
Midi/DLS2 support.
AC3 encoded game audio.

Media/Data Storage:

4x DVD-ROM.
8 GB hard disk drive.
8 MB memory card.

Periphals/Miscellaneous:

DVD Movie Playback.
Expansion Port.
4 Controller Slots.

PS2 system specs.
CPU: 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"
System Clock: 300 MHz
System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus
Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2

Graphics

Clock Frequency: 150MHz
DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second
DRAM Bus width: 2560 bits
Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second
3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons Per Second

Audio

Number of voices: ADPCM: 48 channel on SPU2 plus definable by software
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (selectable)

I/O

CPU Core: Current PlayStation CPU
Clock Frequency: 33.8 MHz or 37.5 MHz (selectable)
Sub Bus: 32 Bit
Interface Types: IEEE1394, Universal Serial Bus (USB)
Communication: via PC-Card PCMCIA
Disc Media: DVD-ROM (CD-ROM compatible)

Ok, from the top:
The X-box’s P3 “looks” like it has the edge on the PS2 emotion engine. From a technical point of view, there really probably ain’t much in it. It’s easy to say that because the X-box has a higher clock speed, it must be better, but if you believe that you either work for PC world, Tiny, or you just don’t have a clue. They are both totally different system’s, they have different architecture, use different RISC set’s etc etc. It’s a bit like the PC vs Mac thing. A PC’s 1000mhz (1ghz) Pentium 3 has exactly the same power as a Mac’s 400mhz G4 processor, so as you can see, number’s are not everything.
Second, again it looks like MS have the winner with the amount of RAM on board. Not true my friend. And I can prove it. That 64mb is there on shared system architecture, thus programmers must divide it up where it’s need most. If it’s given with one hand it’s taken with another. True, and while the developers can say “Well give the graphics 48mb of the memory!” which sounds good till you realise that only leaves 16mb for sound, pre-draw cache, memory buffering etc. The PS2 memory is also direct, meaning that it sits on the same bus as the processor acting in a similar way that the p3 uses 512kb of direct memory (in the form of L2 cache) to buffer the 64mb the x-box has, thus slowing it down in comparison to the PS2. Honest. Trust me.
Now then, we come to another interesting point. The PS2 has 2 co-processors to handle FPU calculations, which takes some of the weight of the emotion engine, as does having separate vector control units. The X-box has one single chip to cope with the whole bang, so even though it may run @ 733mhz, it doesn’t mean it’s faster by any means. Add to that the emotion engine rattles out an accumulated 6.2GFLOPS a second, and it’s a mean little chip despite its lower core clock speed.

As for graphics, this is about to be a sore point. The X-box does have a freaking tasty graphics chip, I’ll admit to that as it’s based on the NV25 chipset by nVidia. However while PS2 supports it’s own graphics, and I'm unsure of the capacity, it does NOT share it’s memory with the rest of the system. Thus despite that fact it has a 300mhz GPU, it needs it to pull that info from the shared RAM system. Also worth a nod is the fact that the NV25 will be outdated in the world of PC gaming by the X-box’s European launch.
Shame.

Onto sound, and it’s high scores all round really. Joe Public won’t be able to tell the difference, and even the most astute audiophile would struggle. I think it depends on what you rig your console up to as to its sound quality.

One thing the PS2 has over the X-box in the very literal sense is backwards compatibility. The fact you can still use your old PS1 games is a gem of a ploy in marketing, and the little things like graphical improvements are a bonus too. I still divulge in a little Tenchu now and then, despite that fact I’ve completed it god knows how many times. It’s a novelty, I know, but I for one like it.

Ok, onto storage class and devices. Now X-box fanboys, chill out a second. Yes you may rejoice in the fact your favourite console has an 8gb hard disc and a 4x DVD-Rom. Aside from the fact Sony say the PS2 will have a 40gb hard disc when the separate unit appears next year. See, owning a PS2 is a bit like waiting to ***, you know your going to love it, you know it’s going to be HUGE, you know it’s going to be worth the wait, it’s all just a case of when……………..and if MS are going to use that 8gb drive as virtual RAM device, by god I feel sorry for you. The whole MS VRAM system is crap, it degrades performance and on Windows is PAINFULLY slow. Not only that, but it causes a lot of crashes in my experience.

And for my last, I would like to add that X-box and it’s developers are already using the full power of the system when producing games, and yes, the do look good. However the rumour has it that even newer games like Devil May Cry, GTA3 etc are still only using some 30% of the total power available. A friend of mine has a PC with a 64mb Gforce2 based graphics card and a 1.2ghz p4, and his jaw hit the floor when he saw Devil May Cry
Thu 25/04/02 at 12:59
Regular
"cant think of one.."
I agree with you nh. The games we play is the most important issue. Good old fashioned computer/console wars have been around for ages and i reckon they adda bit of fun and spice to the industry. Also, console wars result in no only low prices, but also better quality games as developers strive to outdo one another. Here are some past computer/console wars:

ZX Spectrum Vs Commodore 64 (I had a Speccie!)

Atari ST Vs Amiga (I had neither)

Megadrive Vs SNES (I had a Megadrive of course!!!)

PS1 v N64 (I had a PS!) <----was this much of a contest???

And now..... Xbox Vs PS2 [Vs Gamecube?]

I say keep the wars going!... FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!!!
Thu 25/04/02 at 12:54
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
Dear oh dear - these people just cant get it can they ?

We play games on consoles, note that word games.

It does not matter a bit what console we are using as long as the games are good.

The best thing for us as games players is to have as many consoles out there as possible so that the publishers are constantly trying to outdo each other by making better and better games.

The only winners out of having three or more consoles competing out there will be us. Long may Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo keep on making and selling Consoles and I hope they all do well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.