GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So many Gamers"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/04/02 at 09:46
Regular
Games are becoming increasingly popular and i think it is about time that the UK was treated like U.S.A. and Japan, they get all the games before us and get games we never even see! I really think it is time for a change and that we start getting all the same games and the prices are much lower too!
I undersatnd the fact the games are made over in Japan but it can't take that long to change the voices the English can it? some changes are made but not enough to delay it for several months.
I think it is really unfair that England does not get to experience some of the great games that Japan has, like the FF Anthology, i love FF as much as the next Gamer if not more and i think having to wait sooooo long for FFX is just wrong!
Any way i wana hear your thoughts on this and look forward to seeing your replies!
Fri 26/04/02 at 17:50
"For the horde!!!!"
nh wrote:
> I think one thing that happens with Japanese games is that the
> publishers wait to see if the games are succesful over there before
> they even consider doing a translation.
>
> Certain games like FF take a long time because there is so much text
> in the game. If you consider that the games takes 2/3 years to produce
> in the first place then there is a hell of a lot of code involved in
> there. Although no major garaphical changes are needed (though some
> things will be changed like signs etc) every piece of text has to be
> translated into English, You also have to consider that it isnt just a
> case of swapping one Japanese word with one English word. The two
> languages operate in totally different ways so tenses, contexts etc
> have to be taken into condideration to make the game suitable for
> western gamers to play and understand.
>
> I'm not defending the delays, just pointing out the reasons, it would
> be great if they could work on different language versions at the same
> time but i'm sure this would be very costly becuase it would almost
> mean seperate development teams.
>
> The reason we dont get alot of the Japanese games is also because they
> are rubbish, they dont appeal to our tastes. How many of you out there
> would be sad enough to admit to wanting to play dating games ?? And
> driving trains ?
>
> We should be thankful that the publishers over here dont just buy up
> any old Jap licences to shower us with.

i agree
Fri 26/04/02 at 16:29
Regular
We have now got the American console prices so it is only a matter of time before we get their game prices which i would like very much.
Thu 25/04/02 at 10:02
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
I think one thing that happens with Japanese games is that the publishers wait to see if the games are succesful over there before they even consider doing a translation.

Certain games like FF take a long time because there is so much text in the game. If you consider that the games takes 2/3 years to produce in the first place then there is a hell of a lot of code involved in there. Although no major garaphical changes are needed (though some things will be changed like signs etc) every piece of text has to be translated into English, You also have to consider that it isnt just a case of swapping one Japanese word with one English word. The two languages operate in totally different ways so tenses, contexts etc have to be taken into condideration to make the game suitable for western gamers to play and understand.

I'm not defending the delays, just pointing out the reasons, it would be great if they could work on different language versions at the same time but i'm sure this would be very costly becuase it would almost mean seperate development teams.

The reason we dont get alot of the Japanese games is also because they are rubbish, they dont appeal to our tastes. How many of you out there would be sad enough to admit to wanting to play dating games ?? And driving trains ?

We should be thankful that the publishers over here dont just buy up any old Jap licences to shower us with.
Thu 25/04/02 at 09:54
Just a few quick points, as I'm a bit busy.

We get games that are not released in Japan. They're not keen on highly violent western games like first person shooters.

A lot of the games from Japan not released over here are rubbish. There are few notable exceptions to the rule though.

Conversion to English is only a small part of it. Quite often the game will contain other European languages. Also there are some other localisation factors they have to consider (possibly changing the colour of blood for certain countries, or avoiding the representation of banned weapons). Also the code should (hello Capcom) be optimised for PAL machines. So there is quite a bit of work involved.
Thu 25/04/02 at 09:54
Regular
"Final Fantasy Man"
I take it that by no replies noone else feels the same way?

well just think when we get FFX, Japan are near to FFXI, the games companies in UK should start making a name for themselves and produce some really big titles, but even if that happens we probably still get it last!
Thu 25/04/02 at 09:46
Regular
"Final Fantasy Man"
Games are becoming increasingly popular and i think it is about time that the UK was treated like U.S.A. and Japan, they get all the games before us and get games we never even see! I really think it is time for a change and that we start getting all the same games and the prices are much lower too!
I undersatnd the fact the games are made over in Japan but it can't take that long to change the voices the English can it? some changes are made but not enough to delay it for several months.
I think it is really unfair that England does not get to experience some of the great games that Japan has, like the FF Anthology, i love FF as much as the next Gamer if not more and i think having to wait sooooo long for FFX is just wrong!
Any way i wana hear your thoughts on this and look forward to seeing your replies!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.