GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"An alternate reality....."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/04/02 at 10:06
Regular
I'm assuming most posters to this forum are PS2 owners. In the alternate reality say you hadn't bought the console, and were planning to buy a console currently. With the recent price drops from Microsoft and Nintendo, would the PS2 still be your first choice?

OK, so there is little point discussing 'what if?' scenarios, but it will be interesting to see if Sony's decision to go early with a less powerful console, rather than developing something on 'equal terms', is the one that will ensure their continued dominance of the console market.
Wed 24/04/02 at 19:35
Milenko wrote:
> The main reason I went for PS2 was stability, it's a stable well
> established console with a huge user base & good library of games.
> I learnt my lesson from the Dreamcast, don't rush in and buy the
> newest system straight away.

- exaclty the same with me. Wanted a DVD player, so GameCube wasn't an option and after my Dreamcast debacle, I thought 'stuff XBox for a while!'
Not aying PS2 is the best console around, but it's reliable and has an impressive back catalogue, so for now, it's still the best buy!
Wed 24/04/02 at 15:52
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
I only have a PS1, and really the PS2 doesn't have enough appeal to move me to buy it anyway, opposition price cuts or not. I've heard all the arguments, but still, I couldn't be persuaded to to.
Wed 24/04/02 at 10:37
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I wouls still buy a PS 2, I agree with nh, just look at the range of games available on the PS 2. ive had my PS 2 console for little under 3 months and I cant get enough of it. At the time I knew the x-box was going to get released soon and the GC within months, however I never had the thought in my head to buy one of them, yes the x-box might be powerful, yes the gamecube might be small, but having had the previous PSX, I knew what Sony is capable of producing, and theyve not let me down one bit.
Wed 24/04/02 at 10:26
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
For me, it would still be the PS2 and I would recommend that as first choice to any potential new console purchasers.

The reason ? quite simply the games. The PS2 has an 18?mth headstart over the other 2 and already has a back catalogue of over 150 to choose from, when you take into consideration the original psx games that choice is phenomonal, and there are some great psx games to play.

Also the price of the games, with the introduction of the platinum range there are now plenty of top quality games available at half the price of anything on the other two consoles. Many shops are now offering buy 2 get one free and buy one get one half price type deals which is bringing down the price of full price games.

Ask the question again in a years time when the GC and X box have had time to show what they can produce, it will be interesting to see what has changed.
Wed 24/04/02 at 10:25
I've only had my PS2 for about a week, before I bought it I was considering the Xbox (GC didn't appeal)
The main reason I went for PS2 was stability, it's a stable well established console with a huge user base & good library of games. I learnt my lesson from the Dreamcast, don't rush in and buy the newest system straight away.

I still think I made the right choice and reckon there's still alot of life left in Sony's black box. I haven't seen anything that really amazes me on the Xbox but if it's still going strong in the next 6-12 months then I'll consider buying one.
Wed 24/04/02 at 10:06
I'm assuming most posters to this forum are PS2 owners. In the alternate reality say you hadn't bought the console, and were planning to buy a console currently. With the recent price drops from Microsoft and Nintendo, would the PS2 still be your first choice?

OK, so there is little point discussing 'what if?' scenarios, but it will be interesting to see if Sony's decision to go early with a less powerful console, rather than developing something on 'equal terms', is the one that will ensure their continued dominance of the console market.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.