GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A gaming lesson at school!?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/04/02 at 07:47
Regular
I’m sure you have all been in boring lessons at school and you say to yourself “ what are you doing here man it’s a total waste of time!” I often think that in school we are put in lessons that are of no use to us when we leave and go out into the big wide world full of opportunities. I would say that on average I have four lessons a week that are of no use to me and therefore are wasting my time at school. If I was able to put these four hours into something more productive I would love it and I’m sure a lot of other people would like to do the same. Unless you enjoy/enjoyed all of your lessons at school then I’m sure you will know exactly how I feel.

Gamers everywhere spend on average 1-2 hours a day playing on their beloved console. If I didn’t have my console I would end up playing some old fashioned game or something :) I can’t imagine life without a video game of some variety (even a good old mega drive would satisfy me). You have to know a bit about games to get an idea of what games you want to spend your precious money on. Most people get their information from magazines or from Internet sites.

We would all be playing games such as Ever Grace if we had no information, so wouldn’t it be great if we had lots and lost of information about games, I mean lots of information! Such as being taught how the *world’s most talented* people make these wonders of the world i.e. games such as Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Crash bandicoot, Grand Theft Auto plus many more great titles that have made a dramatic impact on our lives. To know how the games we play are made and the process the game goes through really interests me and I would appreciate the game more when playing it because I would know how much work it took to make it.

If we had a lesson at school which taught us about the games and history of games and things like that it would be great!! :) Still we wouldn’t be able to play games at school because school is not for playing computer games it is for learning! :) I’m really talking about being taught about what stages a game goes through before it hits the shops, how the games magazines are made, how to write a non-biased review on a game (improves writing ability). The history of games is important because if it wasn’t for the first consoles and ideas of games we wouldn’t be playing on great systems such as the ‘ps2’ and ‘x-box’ oh and the lovely little Game cube :) I think that the people who started work on games consoles are great people and have made millions if not billions of people very happy little gamers :)

Also to design a games magazine would be very interesting because you could include your own reviews and your thoughts on what the gaming world needs. Also for another project for the games lesson you could design a game of your choice and write a description about it. If this ever happened (*everyone laughs at the fool who is writing this*) I would advise you to put copyright at the bottom of your magazine or game! You never know some teacher could be a secret worker for Sony :)

Being able to have a class about games and the history of how they are made and what started them off would interest a lot of people. The main reason people would be immediately interested is because the idea of games would make them think that the class would be fun to do. Also having a better idea of what goes on behind glossy graphics and colourful characters would make a lot of people appreciate a game before they start pointing out all the faults of it.

The class would almost definitely make more people think of a career in writing reviews for games. Or a career in the making of the games and designing different parts if it etc. I have often thought about maybe trying a career in games but I’ve never had that much information about it, a class devoted to games would make me very happy. After all, games are important to gamers as dog food is to dogs. :)

What are your thoughts about having a lesson at school where you could be creative and get to know about the games you play in more detail? Maybe even get to go on work experience to a gaming company and see if it’s the career for you? If you’ve done all your education then would you have liked to learn about games from the age of twelve onwards so you could consider a career in it?

Thanks for reading :)
Appreciate you thoughts on this idea.
Sat 27/04/02 at 12:20
Regular
hey, nice post there. my 50 odd year old maths teacher plays cc: red alert
Sat 27/04/02 at 12:18
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
Cool, is he quite young? i.e. 25-40
Most of my teachers are above 40 so I doubt they sit in the staff room playing halo or something :)
Sat 27/04/02 at 12:14
Regular
My i.c.t teacher plays unreal tounament online with his wife.
Sat 27/04/02 at 11:33
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
Jive wrote:
> Ok school is a bit more about learning games and their history, for
> one there are very few teachers who know about the world of consoles.
> Most of them will say "eh a PS2 what's that" when asked
> unless you've got some really cool teachers at school.
>
> The next point, ok learning algebra or geography, what is the point of
> that but funnily enough when you step out into the big bad world
> called employment you will still need to know these things. I know it
> sounds crap but believe you me I wish I'd paid more attention to these
> subjects when I was at school rather than have to try and catch up on
> them in later years!
>
> Yeah I wish that we had games machines available (BBC Acorn I think)
> was there when I was at school but progress is progess it's in your
> homes now so why do you need a course at school just to teach you what
> you already know, apart from a good excuse to have a laugh?
>
> Learn what's taught to you at school and then go out there and show
> the employers what you really know and prove your point!

I know the present teacher probably knows nothing about computer games or consoles, so to be able to teach these classes you would need professionals who have worked in the games industry. And I know that you would never get to mess around with your mates and play computer games in class but it would be really interesting to find out about how the first ever console was born. To me that is interesting, I even like playing on my mega drive every now and again becuase its just great to see how much the gaming world has developed. :)
Fri 26/04/02 at 18:02
"For the horde!!!!"
Legendary Link wrote:
> I have had to do 4 projects on Computer Games in secondary school, 1
> creating a games magazine in english, I did a part of my class
> assembly on computer game history for the assembly was about
> entertainment, i had to do a essay on Nintendo in english once and at
> the mo i am designing a PS2 dvd cover in Art. All of which i had to do
> computer game related HW.

well done, i hope u get good marks
Fri 26/04/02 at 00:11
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Ok school is a bit more about learning games and their history, for one there are very few teachers who know about the world of consoles. Most of them will say "eh a PS2 what's that" when asked unless you've got some really cool teachers at school.

The next point, ok learning algebra or geography, what is the point of that but funnily enough when you step out into the big bad world called employment you will still need to know these things. I know it sounds crap but believe you me I wish I'd paid more attention to these subjects when I was at school rather than have to try and catch up on them in later years!

Yeah I wish that we had games machines available (BBC Acorn I think) was there when I was at school but progress is progess it's in your homes now so why do you need a course at school just to teach you what you already know, apart from a good excuse to have a laugh?

Learn what's taught to you at school and then go out there and show the employers what you really know and prove your point!
Thu 25/04/02 at 20:24
Regular
I have had to do 4 projects on Computer Games in secondary school, 1 creating a games magazine in english, I did a part of my class assembly on computer game history for the assembly was about entertainment, i had to do a essay on Nintendo in english once and at the mo i am designing a PS2 dvd cover in Art. All of which i had to do computer game related HW.
Thu 25/04/02 at 19:33
Regular
good post mate
A lesson in computer games and the history of them would be really cool but what about when you had to study games like educational ones and stuff like that which you would have to do along the line.
Thu 25/04/02 at 13:33
Yeah, just why *did* we have to do sewing at junior school? What was that all about? Hey, wear your clothes out, buy some new ones ;-).
Thu 25/04/02 at 08:03
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
I know we all need the other subjects I was just talking about not having a sunject such as textiles and being able to take a games lesson. :)
Thanks for the replies guys.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.