GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ratchet & Clank - Tools of Destruction"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction'.
Mon 14/01/08 at 11:40
Regular
"THFC"
Ratchet & Clank, we all know of the futurostic, evil fighting duo who have saved the world several times, with laughs on the way.

Well R&C TOD is no different, it is more of what everyone loves, just nicer looking, with a great story that keeps you hooked even til the last second. But lets break it into sections

VISUALS:
The visuals on this game are great, ok they don't match Assassins Creed or COD4 - but they are never going to, its not meant to look life like, but on cut scenes, the deatil on Ratchet is fantastic, you can see the hairs, you almost want to put your hand out and stroke him.

While nothing ground-breaking, the visuals are great and work so well for this game, they are a real assest and make you feel even more a part of the Game

8.5/10

STORY:
The story, so like most things, a lombax and his robot friend and just tinkering with a hover-bike, when they get a call from their "wacky" commander - Captain Qwark, it seems that he is under attack from heavily armed enemies (when aren't they) that are destroying everything.

Within no time you have met the nemesis of the duo for the game - Tackion. He is out to finish off Ratchet as he is the last of the Lombaxes, but Tackion also wants to learn more of the Lombaxes secret weapon which won an ancient war years ago.

I can't really go much more than that without spoiling certain aspects. Its filled with fun all the way through, from one liners, to Tackion fallin down in the middle of a speech. Unlike so many platformers, the characters actually have life to them, they have a past, a present and you like to think about their future.

The only flaw with the story - is the ending, you really want to find out something which have been kept back, obviousley for another game, but this is more of a 10 second frustration, than a game spoiling aspect.

8.5/10

GAMEPLAY/CONTROLS:
The Gameplay is much like all the previous R&C games, third person, good camera angels and can all be moved with the contorller. The main emphasis is on making jumps, and using your huge array of weapons to take down what stands in front of you. All the weapons gain XP as you use them and level up, making them stronger and more effective against harder enemies. Ratchet gains more health as he kills more enemies and obtains Bolts to purchase new armour, new weapons and very original items, like the Groovitron (throwing it causes all enemies nearby to start dancing and open to any attack)

You also gain Rareitanium, which you use to upgrade your weapons further, be it more ammo, more damages or adding little touches e.g. your nitro bombs will explode and have more bombs come out from it, making it much more useful.

With around 20 weapons to use you are spoilt for choice, everyone will have their favourites, but i felt some were very useless and i didnt use them hardly at all (only when ammo becomes low)

Like most new games, the ps3 Sixaxis controller is used as a kind of motion sensor. When you skydive in the game you have to move the controller as a whole to make Ratchet move, or when you need to use a laser to cut through a particular surface. This adds a nice touch of interactivity. It is only used a bit so it keeps it enjoyable and a refreshing change, unlike some games which over use it and it becomes a burden to do those parts of a game.

The Gameplay and Contorls really make this game something to respect, along with the visuals and story, it is a fantastic game which i would say is a must have for anyone's Ps3 collection.

9/10

SOUND:
The sound in a game is becoming more and more important, and in R&C it is no different, when you have those boss battles, the music becomes more intense, but while you are in an "easy" part, its happy and enjoyable. With an array of new and old faces appearing in the game, with their own personalities and their own funny dialouge, the sound is a key factor in making the game as enjoyable as it is.

8.5/10

OVERALL:
The game is fantastic, and i am sure most people have all ready got it and like me completed it, but for those of you who have over-looked it, get it now, you can grab it for about £30 pre-owned, and £35-£40 new. I found myself unable to put it down and losing valuable hours of sleep just to get to the next planet. Then you tell yourself you'll stop at the next planet! It really is that addictive.

If you have played anytyhing like R&C in the past, be it an older R&C, Jak or Crash, then you will like it.
It is a game for both kids and adults, while i didnt find the game that challenging, it was fun and enjoyable, with a great story. Meaning you don't mind too much it only took me 3 goes to do the final Boss.

Overall this game is brilliant, that's why im giving it a 9/10 and with another installment almost certain, i can't wait to see what new aspects the developers will bring to the table!
Mon 18/02/08 at 13:49
Regular
yyou
Mon 14/01/08 at 12:22
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
great post
Mon 14/01/08 at 11:40
Regular
"THFC"
Ratchet & Clank, we all know of the futurostic, evil fighting duo who have saved the world several times, with laughs on the way.

Well R&C TOD is no different, it is more of what everyone loves, just nicer looking, with a great story that keeps you hooked even til the last second. But lets break it into sections

VISUALS:
The visuals on this game are great, ok they don't match Assassins Creed or COD4 - but they are never going to, its not meant to look life like, but on cut scenes, the deatil on Ratchet is fantastic, you can see the hairs, you almost want to put your hand out and stroke him.

While nothing ground-breaking, the visuals are great and work so well for this game, they are a real assest and make you feel even more a part of the Game

8.5/10

STORY:
The story, so like most things, a lombax and his robot friend and just tinkering with a hover-bike, when they get a call from their "wacky" commander - Captain Qwark, it seems that he is under attack from heavily armed enemies (when aren't they) that are destroying everything.

Within no time you have met the nemesis of the duo for the game - Tackion. He is out to finish off Ratchet as he is the last of the Lombaxes, but Tackion also wants to learn more of the Lombaxes secret weapon which won an ancient war years ago.

I can't really go much more than that without spoiling certain aspects. Its filled with fun all the way through, from one liners, to Tackion fallin down in the middle of a speech. Unlike so many platformers, the characters actually have life to them, they have a past, a present and you like to think about their future.

The only flaw with the story - is the ending, you really want to find out something which have been kept back, obviousley for another game, but this is more of a 10 second frustration, than a game spoiling aspect.

8.5/10

GAMEPLAY/CONTROLS:
The Gameplay is much like all the previous R&C games, third person, good camera angels and can all be moved with the contorller. The main emphasis is on making jumps, and using your huge array of weapons to take down what stands in front of you. All the weapons gain XP as you use them and level up, making them stronger and more effective against harder enemies. Ratchet gains more health as he kills more enemies and obtains Bolts to purchase new armour, new weapons and very original items, like the Groovitron (throwing it causes all enemies nearby to start dancing and open to any attack)

You also gain Rareitanium, which you use to upgrade your weapons further, be it more ammo, more damages or adding little touches e.g. your nitro bombs will explode and have more bombs come out from it, making it much more useful.

With around 20 weapons to use you are spoilt for choice, everyone will have their favourites, but i felt some were very useless and i didnt use them hardly at all (only when ammo becomes low)

Like most new games, the ps3 Sixaxis controller is used as a kind of motion sensor. When you skydive in the game you have to move the controller as a whole to make Ratchet move, or when you need to use a laser to cut through a particular surface. This adds a nice touch of interactivity. It is only used a bit so it keeps it enjoyable and a refreshing change, unlike some games which over use it and it becomes a burden to do those parts of a game.

The Gameplay and Contorls really make this game something to respect, along with the visuals and story, it is a fantastic game which i would say is a must have for anyone's Ps3 collection.

9/10

SOUND:
The sound in a game is becoming more and more important, and in R&C it is no different, when you have those boss battles, the music becomes more intense, but while you are in an "easy" part, its happy and enjoyable. With an array of new and old faces appearing in the game, with their own personalities and their own funny dialouge, the sound is a key factor in making the game as enjoyable as it is.

8.5/10

OVERALL:
The game is fantastic, and i am sure most people have all ready got it and like me completed it, but for those of you who have over-looked it, get it now, you can grab it for about £30 pre-owned, and £35-£40 new. I found myself unable to put it down and losing valuable hours of sleep just to get to the next planet. Then you tell yourself you'll stop at the next planet! It really is that addictive.

If you have played anytyhing like R&C in the past, be it an older R&C, Jak or Crash, then you will like it.
It is a game for both kids and adults, while i didnt find the game that challenging, it was fun and enjoyable, with a great story. Meaning you don't mind too much it only took me 3 goes to do the final Boss.

Overall this game is brilliant, that's why im giving it a 9/10 and with another installment almost certain, i can't wait to see what new aspects the developers will bring to the table!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.