GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"David Cameron/Death of Labour and honest politics."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/01/08 at 01:19
Regular
I would not describe myself as a Conservative even though I did vote for them at the last general election. (I've only voted in one, I'm 26 and missed voting in the election when I was 18) I would say that I'm a so called 'floating voter'. I wanted to know what people really think of David Cameron. Is he genuine? Do he and the Conservative party have what it takes to win power? Can they bring about the changes to this great country of ours that alot of people want to see?
My own opinion is still not entirely formed. I like David Cameron, he seems to be genuine in his ambitions. I agree with the majority of policies he's put forward so far, although I would need to see alot more and much more detail to make up my mind. The Conservative party seems ready at last to possibly take power once more, although that in itself is a problem. We the public have been fed so many lies and half truths by those in power that I feel a turning point has been reached. There must be no more broken promises, no more sleaze, and there must be full and clear accountability. What politictions don't seem to realize is that the public would much rather have the truth, even if it's hard, than excuses and spin. We would respect honesty as with it comes integrity.
So if the Conservatives were elected thay must do what they say they will do. They must be honest. There can be no more broken promises. For if they gain power only to turn out to be as corrupt and two faced as this current government then the public will lose trust in them for good.
As for Labour it seems they are all but finished. After the deception of Blair came Brown, and for a moment it looked like there was hope. But the old ways have come spinning back and once more the Brithish public have been betrayed. I think Labour has become a party which takes having the power and authority to run the country for granted. After repeated statements of their intent to listen it's clear they can not hear. Some people may revel in Labours downfall but I don't. It just makes me tired.
I never wanted to see them turn out like this. I wanted them to succeed, to help us who keep this country alive. I expected nothing less than complete devotion to the British people. Not the contempt and loathing in which they seem to hold us. I think the death of Labour in inevitable.
As I said before all the public wants is the truth. So here is some advice to hear and a warning to heed for all politictions.
Do not lie to us. Do not make promises you can not keep. We are not stupid so don't treat us like we are, no matter how much spin is spun we can always see the truth. You have the greatest responsibility and must never abuse it. I don't know what will happen if we the people are once again betrayed by those in power, but I think we are starting to realize that we the people have the real power and the duty to use it against those who seek to use us for their own benefit, and those who are not capable of the task set them.
Mon 14/01/08 at 14:17
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
He's the first aristocrat to lead the party since 1964, I guess it's a move to show he's not essentially out-of-touch with peoples' concerns. As my dad once put it, three Conservative PMs of the 50s and 60s (Eden, Macmilland and Home) were rich prats (Churchill gets let off here, despite his background) - I guess that's what many people would say. Still, all that matters as far as I'm concerned is policy. But if, as is some cases, the upper orders are seen as out-of-touch, of course it does cause an issue that needs to be redressed.

Something does come to mind here: As Michael Howard once said to Blair, someone educated at grammar school would not be lectured about something like equality of opportunity by a former public school boy.

The point I make is, all parties electioneer, and all of them make silly gaffes and statements; and with their leadership coming from expected or less expected backgrounds, it's inevitable that idiotic things are said, or as often, misquoted. It's all quite pathetic, but then you can't just vie for votes by sitting on your backside. Going back to Gladstone's Midlothian campaign in the 1880s and further, this sort of thing has existed. But it is inevitable that attempts at populism can backfire.

Not all of the Labour party are so working-class (ie Blair), not all Conservatives are from rich backgrounds (ie David Davis, Liam Fox), and not all of the Liberal Democrats or even Greens wear sandals and have beards! :)
Mon 14/01/08 at 13:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
David Cameron is blatantly dishonest in my opinion. Hes upper class, he went to Eton then Oxford. His social background is quite well known. Yet he seems to invest an awful lot of time in pretending hes a man of the people and in touch with the man on the street. If he cant be honest about himself, why should we trust him to be honest about anything else? Apart from anything else, 90% is just plain cringeworthy watching him do.

I dont really blame Labour for spin, in my opinion it was an inevitable consequence of the vicious media. Yet I think if we have to put up with it, I'd rather parties were spinning policies and not whether their leader really understands what its like to live on minimum wage.
Mon 14/01/08 at 13:09
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Personally, I've no real problem with Cameron, aside from some of his statements regarding the EU and so forth. Replacing the human rights act with a new Bill of Rights would guarantee much, but then would mean that human rights cases would have to go to Strasbourg. And as much as I'm skeptical about EU constitution, admittedly it's just going to be adopted anyway.

I'd describe myself as conservative in some ways, and more inclined to neoliberalism in some ways. But they're both incorporated into the Conservative party's policies, so I guess that makes me relatively conservative in the American sense (ie Swinging to the right).

I'm certainly no fan of Brown, or many members of his Cabinet for that matter (Milliband, Balls, Smith and Malloch-Brown, par example), and I'll leave it at that as elaborating means a big, long rant. But as far as I'm concerned, neither his leadership nor policies are what this country needs.

Death of Labour? Surely you mean "New Labour". The SDP/Liberal Alliance seemingly threatened with killing Labour off in the early 80s, and may well have if we had a proportional system of representation. And I think once in the 1930s it was spectacularly defeated (1935?) but bounced back 10 years later.

Death of honest politics? Has it ever really been so honest? Lloyd George was selling honours way back, for example. There have always been shady dealings, just depends on where you look. I guess we're lucky to live in a country that isn't particularly corrupt.
Sun 13/01/08 at 22:11
"possibly impossible"
Honest Politics died in the 60's when it became clear just what exactly was going on behind all the closed doors.
Sun 13/01/08 at 17:19
Regular
"you've got a beard"
sadly sir i think voting is simply a case of "choose your own hangman" i don`t trust any of them.
Sun 13/01/08 at 01:19
Regular
I would not describe myself as a Conservative even though I did vote for them at the last general election. (I've only voted in one, I'm 26 and missed voting in the election when I was 18) I would say that I'm a so called 'floating voter'. I wanted to know what people really think of David Cameron. Is he genuine? Do he and the Conservative party have what it takes to win power? Can they bring about the changes to this great country of ours that alot of people want to see?
My own opinion is still not entirely formed. I like David Cameron, he seems to be genuine in his ambitions. I agree with the majority of policies he's put forward so far, although I would need to see alot more and much more detail to make up my mind. The Conservative party seems ready at last to possibly take power once more, although that in itself is a problem. We the public have been fed so many lies and half truths by those in power that I feel a turning point has been reached. There must be no more broken promises, no more sleaze, and there must be full and clear accountability. What politictions don't seem to realize is that the public would much rather have the truth, even if it's hard, than excuses and spin. We would respect honesty as with it comes integrity.
So if the Conservatives were elected thay must do what they say they will do. They must be honest. There can be no more broken promises. For if they gain power only to turn out to be as corrupt and two faced as this current government then the public will lose trust in them for good.
As for Labour it seems they are all but finished. After the deception of Blair came Brown, and for a moment it looked like there was hope. But the old ways have come spinning back and once more the Brithish public have been betrayed. I think Labour has become a party which takes having the power and authority to run the country for granted. After repeated statements of their intent to listen it's clear they can not hear. Some people may revel in Labours downfall but I don't. It just makes me tired.
I never wanted to see them turn out like this. I wanted them to succeed, to help us who keep this country alive. I expected nothing less than complete devotion to the British people. Not the contempt and loathing in which they seem to hold us. I think the death of Labour in inevitable.
As I said before all the public wants is the truth. So here is some advice to hear and a warning to heed for all politictions.
Do not lie to us. Do not make promises you can not keep. We are not stupid so don't treat us like we are, no matter how much spin is spun we can always see the truth. You have the greatest responsibility and must never abuse it. I don't know what will happen if we the people are once again betrayed by those in power, but I think we are starting to realize that we the people have the real power and the duty to use it against those who seek to use us for their own benefit, and those who are not capable of the task set them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.