GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2-3 years from now: Xbox's will rule the earth!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/04/02 at 11:39
Regular
2-3 years from now.... Xbox's will rule the earth! That is my vision of what the future holds for us all.

Why do I think this? The Xbox has got off to a relatively good start. Sales have been respectable, many games are of a high quality and most crucially the console itself is having its price slashed by £100! This means even more Xbox's will be flinging themselves off the shelves and into peoples' homes.

It is frequently being argued that the Xbox isn't making enough money. However, currently this is not what Microsoft are thinking about. Don't get me wrong the company IS thinking about money, but its thinking about it in the long run. Microsoft's key aim at the moment is to sell as many Xboxs as possible and get them into as many homes as possible, even if this means selling them at a reduced price.

Once Xbox's are dominating the market, microsoft knows it'll get its money back from loyal gamers who continue to purchase the games and (in the not too distant future) pay connection fees to Microsoft for online gaming. (Rumour has it that Microsoft and BT are hatching a joint plan for the UK)
"Clever Bill Gates" i hear you say. Well, he didn't get to be a multi-billionaire without knowing a thing or two about business and marketing.

This is why i believe that Xboxs will dominate the gaming market in a couple of years. It would seem that Mr Gates will refuse to not succeed. I reckon he'd be prepared to sell Xboxs for £50 rather than give up!

Going further into the future, I believe that a few years later, Xboxs will begin to evolve and become intelligent and self reliant. Soon after, the little black consoles will begin to breed and multiply until they outnumber the humans on this planet. At this point they'll force all human beings to starve and work to the death as slaves in underground uranium mines. Once the human race is extinct, the Earth will be solely populated by Xbox's, being led by their grusome dictator...Bill Gates! The only other remaining entities will be PS2s and Gamecubes who act as servants to the Microsoft machine. (serving drinks, etc...)
(Sorry about that last bit... i dont know what came over me!!!)
Tue 23/04/02 at 11:39
Regular
"cant think of one.."
2-3 years from now.... Xbox's will rule the earth! That is my vision of what the future holds for us all.

Why do I think this? The Xbox has got off to a relatively good start. Sales have been respectable, many games are of a high quality and most crucially the console itself is having its price slashed by £100! This means even more Xbox's will be flinging themselves off the shelves and into peoples' homes.

It is frequently being argued that the Xbox isn't making enough money. However, currently this is not what Microsoft are thinking about. Don't get me wrong the company IS thinking about money, but its thinking about it in the long run. Microsoft's key aim at the moment is to sell as many Xboxs as possible and get them into as many homes as possible, even if this means selling them at a reduced price.

Once Xbox's are dominating the market, microsoft knows it'll get its money back from loyal gamers who continue to purchase the games and (in the not too distant future) pay connection fees to Microsoft for online gaming. (Rumour has it that Microsoft and BT are hatching a joint plan for the UK)
"Clever Bill Gates" i hear you say. Well, he didn't get to be a multi-billionaire without knowing a thing or two about business and marketing.

This is why i believe that Xboxs will dominate the gaming market in a couple of years. It would seem that Mr Gates will refuse to not succeed. I reckon he'd be prepared to sell Xboxs for £50 rather than give up!

Going further into the future, I believe that a few years later, Xboxs will begin to evolve and become intelligent and self reliant. Soon after, the little black consoles will begin to breed and multiply until they outnumber the humans on this planet. At this point they'll force all human beings to starve and work to the death as slaves in underground uranium mines. Once the human race is extinct, the Earth will be solely populated by Xbox's, being led by their grusome dictator...Bill Gates! The only other remaining entities will be PS2s and Gamecubes who act as servants to the Microsoft machine. (serving drinks, etc...)
(Sorry about that last bit... i dont know what came over me!!!)
Tue 23/04/02 at 21:35
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'm wondering if Bill Gates is trying to beat Nintendo and Sony through pricing. Of course theres a number of people saying haha he has to lower the price cause the X-Box is poo and all that crap, but I wonder if he's done it as a clever move.

What you have to remember is Nintendo and Sony are of course big companies, but they don't have the money Microsoft has. Gates can afford to lower the price of X-Box, in turn, the obvious move is for both Nintendo and Sony to do the same with their consoles. Thing is, can they really afford to ? If Gates were to lower the price of X-Box anymore than he already has, could the competition afford to keep up ?

Of course Microsoft could afford a loss, but I'm not sure if Nintendo in particular could. Sony have other areas to their business which helps, but Nintendo's field is games. The N64 really didn't take off, I'm not sure they can afford the GC to flop.

Thing is, if Gates continues with the price war, it'll surely push things in that direction. The handheld consoles Nintendo make are always successful, but their home consoles seem to be killing them off.
No doubt screaming Nintys will come and scream at me now and put their hands on their ears with no interest in hearing anything negative about the company. But if you stop and think about it, I think you'll have to agree no matter how biased you are, that Nintendo's reputation isn't as all conquering as it was. In the days of the NES and SNES, everything was great for Nintendo, but the N64 let them down big time and now they are trying to get where they were.

Thing is, you can't help but wonder if they will end up like Sega. Maybe they will stick to handheld's, but I'm not sure how much longer they can stay in the home console competition if the GC fails.
Tue 23/04/02 at 21:44
Regular
"Bobba you"
savatt1668 wrote:
> I'm wondering if Bill Gates is trying to beat Nintendo and Sony
> through pricing. Of course theres a number of people saying haha he
> has to lower the price cause the X-Box is poo and all that crap, but I
> wonder if he's done it as a clever move.

Yeah they are. My mate brought one when the price drop dident happen he is so gutted now cos he never plays on it he says he is more intrested in his ps2, nd his X-box is new he might be selling it for £150 with a pad and amped, i might buy i have a hundred i will see if he cuts some off :)
Tue 23/04/02 at 21:49
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Nintendo won't end up like Sega because Sega's big downfall was the downturn of the arcade market.
They piled in huge amounts of cash, and people stopped going to the arcades, prefering to stay at home and play next-gen console games that were arcade perfect or better. The same thing happened with companies like SNK.

The strong initial reception of the Gamecube suggests it will gain a reasonable foothold in the industry, it wont beat the PS2 i know, but i think it will do alright, providing Nintendo keeps dishing out great in-house titles, and are supported by great third party software (and it does have decent third party support from Capcom, Konami, Sega, Square etc)

The Dreamcast didn't have great third part support, and that's vital to a consoles success. It lacked a decent footy title, and some more rpg's would have been nice.
The N64 also didn't have great third party support, and as a result it lacked some decent beat 'em ups, racing games etc.
Tue 23/04/02 at 22:19
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Nintendo definately won't make the same mistakes they did with the N64. They have already shown this by responding to Microsoft dropping the price of the X-Box, very quickly as well. This is before launch! They have a pile of games to be released after the launch and then have a great release line-up for the rest of the year and titles being pencilled in for next year. And what about the news of Zelda OOT on the GameCube? They do seem to be on the ball, they aren't assuming that they won't need to advertise or make big decisions like this and just release it, leave and let the games come out on it. That is what happened on the N64. You learn from your mistakes, and this is why Nintentdo will not do a nose dive this time around.
Tue 23/04/02 at 22:58
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I was gutted when SNK went down the pan cause I loved their beat em ups like King of Fighters and Art of Fighting 2. Until recently you really had to play the games on the Neo Geo console to fully appreciate them. Titles like Art of Fighting came out on the SNES but of course cause the Sega and Nintendo machines couldn't handle them properly, the conversions were pretty crappy. I bought a Neo Geo CD once I was working and I loved playing the games on it. I played the cartridge system thanks to some spoilt git of a guy I knew having one. ;-))

Anyway, burst that little day dream bubble for a minute and get back on track. ;-)) Personally I don't want to see Nintendo go the way of Sega, but they need to make sure that they handle things a lot better. Zelda OOT was a good game, but at the same time I don't know if its such a great idea for Nintendo to bring games like that from the N64, at least not this early.

For one they already have a Zelda title on the way as it is and besides the difference between the graphics, is one gonna put a lot of people off the other ? Some may even see this as Nintendo running out of ideas when they're relying on existing series' as it is, let alone straight ports from the N64.

By the way, I saw a NES recently and was tempted to pick it up today, but it had gone. :-( Went into some weird retro mood. ;-)) It had 5 games with it and one of them was Life Force Salamander (part of the Gradius series if anyone remembers). It was £15 for the bundle.
A shop in the high street is selling an N64 with Mario 64 for £60 too. What gets to me, is how some shops have cut the price off all the N64 stuff, but the official controllers (usually blue for some reason) are still selling for like £25 !

Anyway, on with the topic. ;-)) I've owned all the major Ninty consoles at some point, but with the GC I'm a bit more reluctant cause I'm just seeing a console that isn't going to give me much of an experience. I'm a big Star Wars fan so obviously Rogue Leader appeals, but beyond that I can't help but feel a little disappointed. :-(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.