GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who wants to play Red Rover?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/04/02 at 10:50
Regular
People say that school days are the best of your lives. Well that's crap, but it doesn't mean that some of the playground games weren't quite a laugh, does it.

Before a game started, we used to have to wander around the playground saying "Who want's to play Red Rover" (or other game of choice, Red Rover was most popular though). Arms outstretched, anyone that wanted to play would have to join our chain. We'd repeat it again and again, in a drone like voice. I don't know why we did this, it was just the way.

Anyway, once the chain was deemed long enough, we had to lock the game. This involved standing in a circle, all waving our arms at the centre, chanting "Lock the game, lock the game, no one else can play the game" Sometimes others would run in, to join just before it was locked. Other times we'd see peopel running towards us that we didn't want to play, and have to lock it really quickly. "Sorry mate, the game's locked" we'd say when they arrived too late.

Sometimes, mid-game someone that didn't know the rules, maybe they'd transferred schools or something would ask if they could play. "It's not my game" was the usual reply that this person got, and they had to seek out who ever had started the game, by beginningthe chain, chanting the original line (who want's to play Red Rover etc)

Red Rover was a simple game. One person would be 'it', the others would stand behind a line at one side of the playground. The it person would them say "Red rover, red rover let X come over." (X always seemed to get picked first, probably because of his silly name.) At this point X would have to attempt to get to the other side of the playground without getting tagged. If he did, he'd also be it, and they'd invite someone else to try to come over. This would go on until everyone had eithe crossed the playground, or had been tagged. If they'd gotten across, they'd have to go back the other way, until thy were all tagged.

That was a fun game, but there wasn't half a lot of strange ritualistic crap attached to it. Kids are odd. Or was that just my school?
Tue 23/04/02 at 21:16
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Mind you, there were only about fifteen to a year group, and the only three girls in my year were as ugly as sin, so they didn't really count.

Hmmmm, I think I was warped at an early age...
Tue 23/04/02 at 21:14
Regular
"smile, it's free"
No, 'twas a mixed cathloic primary school!

And I maintain that skipping was a very cool non-feminine summer pastime.

er.... Cat's Cradle anyone?
Tue 23/04/02 at 20:36
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
AAAhhhh yes I remember, we called it British Bulldogs. Never did all that locking game thing though. This game was, putting it bluntly, MENTAL!!! By "MENTAL!!!" I mean extremely fun but very dangerous. I've been in games where people have broken bones, split their head, etc. Luckily I wasn't one of them. There was a similar game but it was called "Walk the Plank or join the crew". Basically once you had decked them you had to get them to say "join the crew" by any means necessary (the most popular method used was giving them a good kick in). Damn school days were the most violent of my life!!

(why do we have games & films with rating of 15, 18 when these games clearly are more violent)
Tue 23/04/02 at 20:22
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Definently your "lot"

All boys school Venom?

;0)
Tue 23/04/02 at 16:22
Regular
"smile, it's free"
We had the old "it's not my game, you'll have to ask Tim" thing, but we didn't do the chain thing. There weren't many of us in our year group, so anyone who wanted to could play. Lets see... what did we play?

We played 'it' most of the time, with two safe areas. You could run for it at any time you wanted to. When we played this in the playground though, we had the slight problem that the classroom walls (the safe areas) has those spikey wall covering stuff. This generally meant people would run at them full pelt to avoid getting tagged, and then lacerate their face when they couldn't stop in time.

We played Bulldog and quite a few others, too.

Now, here's an interesting question:
Did your lot play skipping games in the summer, or was that just ours? ;)
Tue 23/04/02 at 14:47
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
I remember that. Great fun.

We also had a game called 'Hackey':

Our playground had netball lines painted on it - don't know why, there were no nets. Two teams, one at each end. One soft ball.

Each team was only allowed up to the first line (i.e. split-court-in-3-type-line) from their end. The ball had to be thrown so it landed in the semi-circle at the opposite end of the playground. It normally ended up getting rough.

Why was I always the one to get caught? I got 500 lines once:

I will not play Hackey in the school playground

I hated my primary school. In year 3, I mucked around in class a bit. So what happened? 1 week of writing lines in the main school hall - and I had to spend the week after that standing in a small circle in the main hall with my nose pressed against the wall. Every single lunchtime and breaktime.

Damn the power that my primary school teachers had.
Tue 23/04/02 at 14:36
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Gangsta Hamsta wrote:
> Think that was your school. I played bull dogs or something. Sounds
> the same but everyone could run when they wanted.

We used to play that at school all the time. Two people went in the middle and picked someone out of all those playing to try run past them, if they were caught (catchers had to say "British Bulldog 1-2-3) then they joined the catchers team. If they made it from one end to the other then everyone had to run to the other end. If the catchers caught anyone then they joined the catchers. This was repeated until one was left. The winner gets to pick who the next 2 catchers for the next game would be.

Those were the days.
Tue 23/04/02 at 14:06
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
We used to play stuck in the mud.

Or kiss chase

kiss kiss
Tue 23/04/02 at 11:15
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Think that was your school. I played bull dogs or something. Sounds the same but everyone could run when they wanted.

Usually ended up very violent too which was a laugh. Then someone would get seriously injured and the game would be banned by the school.

Then we'd play again the next week.
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:50
Regular
"not dead"
People say that school days are the best of your lives. Well that's crap, but it doesn't mean that some of the playground games weren't quite a laugh, does it.

Before a game started, we used to have to wander around the playground saying "Who want's to play Red Rover" (or other game of choice, Red Rover was most popular though). Arms outstretched, anyone that wanted to play would have to join our chain. We'd repeat it again and again, in a drone like voice. I don't know why we did this, it was just the way.

Anyway, once the chain was deemed long enough, we had to lock the game. This involved standing in a circle, all waving our arms at the centre, chanting "Lock the game, lock the game, no one else can play the game" Sometimes others would run in, to join just before it was locked. Other times we'd see peopel running towards us that we didn't want to play, and have to lock it really quickly. "Sorry mate, the game's locked" we'd say when they arrived too late.

Sometimes, mid-game someone that didn't know the rules, maybe they'd transferred schools or something would ask if they could play. "It's not my game" was the usual reply that this person got, and they had to seek out who ever had started the game, by beginningthe chain, chanting the original line (who want's to play Red Rover etc)

Red Rover was a simple game. One person would be 'it', the others would stand behind a line at one side of the playground. The it person would them say "Red rover, red rover let X come over." (X always seemed to get picked first, probably because of his silly name.) At this point X would have to attempt to get to the other side of the playground without getting tagged. If he did, he'd also be it, and they'd invite someone else to try to come over. This would go on until everyone had eithe crossed the playground, or had been tagged. If they'd gotten across, they'd have to go back the other way, until thy were all tagged.

That was a fun game, but there wasn't half a lot of strange ritualistic crap attached to it. Kids are odd. Or was that just my school?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.