GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is the most important ingredient?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/01/08 at 19:07
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
We've got a couple topics on here about what everyone's favourite game is and I was just wondering what makes that game so much better than others? And what is the most important part of a game that really makes it special?

Is it the graphics, sound, storyline or a compromise of all three, or is it something entirely different? Does a game have to meet certain criteria you set for it, if so what is that criteria?

Hmm... I sound like a market researcher here...
Sat 12/01/08 at 00:00
Regular
"Captain to you."
I think i have different requirements for different genres of games, as some will need more to keep me interested.

not going to go in to them all.

FPS games

Needs to have decent sound and it needs to use it well, some games use it to distract the player so that they turn to see what the noise was only to turn back to see an enemy rushing towards them or just give them a good old scare, any game could use either of those but very few pull it off well.

Doom 3, although not very high in most peoples opinions did how ever have a great use of sound to set the atmosphere, with random whispering and pipes creaking.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did sound very well as due to the size the atmosphere i imagine took a lot to maintain, it's one game where you can feel pretty lonely and i think the audio really does help to give the sense of an large area devoid of life.

Story tends to take a bit of a back foot in FPS games as there are only a few stories that are just recycled over and over in a lot of games, that's fine but often there is no real character attachment to squad members as they are often just the 2-3 people following you, getting stuck and making sure the walls have enough bullets, while you single handedly stop the universe from imploding.

FPS games are really my one genre when i become a bit of a graphics snob, i think these days we are so spoilt that many games are over looked due to having a 5-6 year old engine that it's running on and so people look at it and assume it will be bad.
Fri 11/01/08 at 22:53
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
i think what really makes a great game is a combination of the said attributes. If one aspect is lacking, the rest of the game is spoiled. its like music, a well written lyric can be spoiled with crap production.
Fri 11/01/08 at 22:09
Regular
"you've got a beard"
is it Super Mario World?

Yes = great game
No = pretender

;)
Fri 11/01/08 at 19:07
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
We've got a couple topics on here about what everyone's favourite game is and I was just wondering what makes that game so much better than others? And what is the most important part of a game that really makes it special?

Is it the graphics, sound, storyline or a compromise of all three, or is it something entirely different? Does a game have to meet certain criteria you set for it, if so what is that criteria?

Hmm... I sound like a market researcher here...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.