GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"STARTLING PRICE WAR REVELATIONS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/04/02 at 01:38
Regular
You heard it there first folks!

Firstly, in just 2 weeks the Game Cube will join X Box and PlayStation 2 in the hottest competition we've seen yet.

Forget sales for a moment, even though this is the big three's main objective, the reason we buy a games console is NOT because it's sold 50,000 more than another one, it's because of the GAMING experiences that you can have from buying that console.

Right. Here's the story

X Box is now £100 less than it was, big deal get used to it - actually, buy the damn thing - it's absolutely brilliant. Mine arrived today, complete with the award winning Halo and in all honesty I've never played anything so atmospheric and completely enthralling as it. At it's heart it's just another Golden Eye, with fantastic visuals, a stomach quenchingly gripping story line and some of the best in game music I've ever listened to. It's a wonderful feeling to pulverise hostile aliens threatening to take over the earth - just wonderful.

Anyway, the X Box was too expensive compared to the competition, Microsoft acknowledged this before it was too late and at £200 you're getting the most powerful console out there, 2wice the power of PS2, and at the same price!

Next thing we here is Nintendo are slicing a cool £30 off the recommend selling price for the Game Cube! Making that a snip at just £134.99!!! Admittedly there's no DVD playback on it, but for a next generation games machine, and one with such a strong launch line up, the sub £140 price really does tempt even me now - I can afford an X Box and a Game Cube, hopefully!!!

Nintendo clearly noted that X Box sales picked up dramatically after the announcement from Microsoft last Friday, and so now the latest two games machines, one of which isn't even out yet, are available for the same price or less than the PlayStation 2!

So, what have Sony gone and done? Well, their PlayStation 2 consoles are still selling like toothpaste, thanks in particular to Konami's rather important Metal Gear Solid 2 release. But wait!

NEWS JUST IN!!!

In a controversial attempt to make jaws fall even further to the floor, Sony have dropped the price of their PlayStation 2 to just £99.99! £20 more than the PlayStation One!!! Because of this, all brand new bathroom suites now come with a free PSOne console!

While Mr Sega sits gleefully on his levatating dance mat in Tokyo, Mr Sony, Mr Nintendo and Bill Gates send out spies all over the place to see what the other will do next in the hope of outsmarting one another. Mr Sega will be comfy on his dance mat whatever happens, but something else to shock the world...

DREAMCAST PRICE INCREASE!!!

To help 'raise' the profile of the once extinct Dreamcast console, Sega have realised that it's actually as good a console as the other three and hiked the price right back up to £99.99!!

Capcom announce their new CAPCOM SPHERE machine, a perfectly spherical console, they're obviously hoping it'll roll off the shelves, or at least off the production line - with a fantastic launch line up of Resident Evil games, Power Stone 3 and Arcade Classic as well as Street Fighter versus Marvel Super Heroes 4D, Capcom are sure that their £139.99 console launch price will see eye to wallet with the gaming consumer.

NEWS JUST IN!!!

Capcom drop the price of the Sphere by £25 as a direct result of changes in projected sales, it'll now cost just £114.99 and will come with a family bag of doritos!

Meanwhile, Sega employ a group of Peruvian monkeys to advertise Super Monkey Ball for the Game Cube, which of course results in a Advertising onslaught from EA who've now branched off into Sport RPG gaming, taking on the role of any of the accurately represented and detailed sportsperson's from the game's new and improved updated 2002 season, you have to guide them to the kingdom of originality, which should be somewhere near where the Monkeys are filming.

Bill Gates becomes so enraged with anger that no one buys Microsoft Train Simulator on the X Box despite improved sales for the console that his inaudable hair cut and glasses smash every single edition of windows in existence and PC's worldwide revert back to DOS.

Nintendo release the Game Girl Advance, just like the Game Girl Pocket, only with bigger buttons and flashier visuals, Sony release the pocket station to the European Market after daft sales in japan and the USA, no one actually cares though, and Yo-Yo sales enter an all time high.

Sega set free thousands of mutated blue hedgehogs into the wild, complaints of 'cartoony Italian Plumbers' jumping on people's mushrooms come in thick and thin, and last but not least, Neo Geo joins up with WonderSwan and go out of business happily ever after.

It's not a joke, there is a winner in a war such as this, it's you.

Thank you Mr Polygon!
Thu 25/04/02 at 15:52
Regular
"A man with a stick"
unknown kernel wrote:
> Dan2K2 wrote:
> When did the Dixon's group by Comet?
>
> Comet was part of Kingfisher?!
>
> Toys R Us have a GC + Luigi for £150
>
> !
>
> Has anyone seen a better deal than this?

I have, right here in SR. A GC with One official controller, One Logic 3 controller, a Logic 3 memory card, Star Wars Rogue Leader and a Scart Lead. All for 185.99.

One of the best deals I've seen so far, I think I'll get my game cube from here when I get one later this year.
Thu 25/04/02 at 03:03
Regular
"relocated"
Dan2K2 wrote:
> When did the Dixon's group by Comet?
>
> Comet was part of Kingfisher?!
>
> Toys R Us have a GC + Luigi for £150
>
> !

Has anyone seen a better deal than this?
Thu 25/04/02 at 02:05
Comet are not related to the Dixons Group, period. The Dixons Group are Dixons, Curry's, and PC World.
Wed 24/04/02 at 19:30
When did the Dixon's group by Comet?

Comet was part of Kingfisher?!

Toys R Us have a GC + Luigi for £150

!
Wed 24/04/02 at 19:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Currys and Dixons are the same shop...

So are Comet, actually. And PC World. 4 shops, same company, high-street ownage. It really annoys me, that.
Wed 24/04/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
C*rrys - D*xons and a few others have 'confirmed' a price of £129.99
Wed 24/04/02 at 12:44
Regular
Gameplay.com are doing Gamecube + any game for £170 :)

Amazon yet to implement a drop...
Wed 24/04/02 at 07:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If I dyed my hair blue it would resemble Sonic's.

Interestingly, this fine establishment want £134.99 of your money in exchange for a shining new Nintendo GameCube.
Wed 24/04/02 at 00:18
Appreciated - my argentinian homeee, make Sonic blush with silliness. Excellent stuff!

No one really cares about Sega's monkeys though :S
Wed 24/04/02 at 00:12
Regular
Depends how you look at it really.

Ninty only ever gave a figure in Euro's

250 originally (bout £153)
200 now (bout £123)

So thats £30 :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.