GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multiplayer?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/04/02 at 23:07
Regular
I noticed something the other day, multiplayer modes have changed a bit in games since when I started to play games. Yeah the graphics and gameplay have all improved but certain aspects have totally changed. There are less and less games which allow two players to play together in the game. Most of todays multiplayers put player one against player two in a seperate game mode, not in the main game.
I presume that developers think we all have no friends, I do and I am sure the rest of you do to.
Games like Streets of rage allowed you to play the main game with one of your friends, the last game I played like this was Time Crisis and I realised that as far as I can tell the number of games like this have been reduced by quite a lot.

But I do expect more games to once again, once of course technology allows them to go to the next level, be released. Maybe something along the lines of connecting 2 consoles by a link cable or through on-line connection. Both players could load up a copy of the same game and both play the main game, while playing it both players can interact and play the same game as part of a team.

A lot of games that have multiplayer mode either have a play with or play against a friend (or more than one friend) but there never seems to be the option for both. I guess it depends on the genre of game, First person shooters and games like resident evil would be good with both but a fighting game would only really use the versus multiplayer option. Smackdown 2 allowed you and a friend to go through the season mode as a tag team but the new game has scrapped this idea which let the new game down in my view, sports games may not benefit as much as other genres from this idea but some genres will benefit is a big way.

Imagine resident evil in two player, you could both go about playing the game, each having different roles,puzzles and story to follow (this is why linking 2 consoles would be better) and both stories could cross paths and join together to get the complete story, you could have to fight the bigger monsters together as they would be too hard to fight on your own.
I think there is a lot of potential in this type of multiplayer, potential to make games better in terms of multiplayer mode. With on-line gaming I think the idea could be improved more, maybe larger multiplayers which put many characters in the main game mode with each player having their own role to play in the game.

When I think this through I can see that there are lots of restrictions in place on developers and it will probably be some time before technology allows this to take off in a suitable way. But I think this is the way multiplayers should be, similar in a way to the idea used in games like Streets of rage, Golden axe, and various games that appeared on the amiga like Mercs. Hopefully it is an idea that dosn't get overlooked and when technology supports it, gets used in games to make them great for single and multiplayer modes.

The latest game I have heard that has this feature is Halo on the XBox, I think that it is also something that should take off again, developers hopefully will realise that not all us gamers are lonely, we have friends and sometimes games with such multiplayer options are just what we are looking for. Also I pressume that when the on-line networks for the consoles take off we could see some special options in games allowing us to play not only against others but maybe also with two to ten others as part as a team - co-operative gaming if you like. It is a feature I miss, from the days of Golden Axe and my amiga games where two players were against the computer not against each other. I just hope that developers include more two (or more) player co-operative multiplayer options and not just the 1 player versu another mode that gets used again and again.
Tue 23/04/02 at 19:36
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Totoro wrote:
Mario Kart on the SNES is still the best co-op game on any system. Two player Grand Prix was gaming heaven!

I should just say that although Mario Kart wasn't actually co-op, i played as a team with my brother, we didn't shoot each other with shells etc, just had fun beating the opposition as a two player team:)
Tue 23/04/02 at 19:34
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
mcg_highlander wrote:
>Duke Nukem 3d and Half0life did it and they were fun, can't remember too many other FPS that you could do that.

Playing Duke Nukem 64 in the two player co-op mode with my brother was fantastic, and the Perfect Dark co-op mode was great as well.
I'm a great fan of the two player co-op mode, i think Mario Kart on the SNES is still the best co-op game on any system. Two player Grand Prix was gaming heaven!
Plus Super Probotector on the SNES, more great co-op fun.

And of course, not forgetting Secret of Mana. That is the best multi player game ever! Three player RPG brilliance!

I wish for more decent two player co-op modes in future titles.
Tue 23/04/02 at 19:30
"Mimmargh!"
Vottanator wrote:
> Lylat Wars was the perfect length! You could complete it easily in one
> sitting which was essential seeing as the replayability of the game
> relied completely on the scoring system.
>
> I love that game!

Lylat Wars rules. I'm not sure what Starfox Adventures will be like though, looks like Zelda lol!
Tue 23/04/02 at 19:25
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Strafex wrote:

> Wouldn't it been great to have 3 of your friends controlling Peppy,
> Slippy and Falco in a Starfox game. (I'm sure Goatboy would like it if
> it lasted longer than 42 minutes this time round... ;-))

Lylat Wars was the perfect length! You could complete it easily in one sitting which was essential seeing as the replayability of the game relied completely on the scoring system.

I love that game!
Tue 23/04/02 at 14:06
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
I think you are spot on. I would love there to be more co-operative modes in multiplayer gaming. It seems that you are referring to consoles but I think that PC games should do the same. Imagine playing Jedi Knight 2 as cooperative, it would add more longevity to it and make me replay the game again with allies at my side. Duke Nukem 3d and Half0life did it and they were fun, can't remember too many other FPS that you could do that.
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:15
Regular
With Solo Player games being so ambitious with AI and polygon count, and with most game styles needing splitscreen for more players, it wasn't really possible in the last generation.

Perfect Dark almost did it but suffered some nasty slowdown as a result.

I think that next gen machines are powerful enough to make it possible though. I think that it would be well worth dumbing down the graphics to allow 4 players to play through the single player mode.

Wouldn't it been great to have 3 of your friends controlling Peppy, Slippy and Falco in a Starfox game. (I'm sure Goatboy would like it if it lasted longer than 42 minutes this time round... ;-))
Mon 22/04/02 at 23:07
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I noticed something the other day, multiplayer modes have changed a bit in games since when I started to play games. Yeah the graphics and gameplay have all improved but certain aspects have totally changed. There are less and less games which allow two players to play together in the game. Most of todays multiplayers put player one against player two in a seperate game mode, not in the main game.
I presume that developers think we all have no friends, I do and I am sure the rest of you do to.
Games like Streets of rage allowed you to play the main game with one of your friends, the last game I played like this was Time Crisis and I realised that as far as I can tell the number of games like this have been reduced by quite a lot.

But I do expect more games to once again, once of course technology allows them to go to the next level, be released. Maybe something along the lines of connecting 2 consoles by a link cable or through on-line connection. Both players could load up a copy of the same game and both play the main game, while playing it both players can interact and play the same game as part of a team.

A lot of games that have multiplayer mode either have a play with or play against a friend (or more than one friend) but there never seems to be the option for both. I guess it depends on the genre of game, First person shooters and games like resident evil would be good with both but a fighting game would only really use the versus multiplayer option. Smackdown 2 allowed you and a friend to go through the season mode as a tag team but the new game has scrapped this idea which let the new game down in my view, sports games may not benefit as much as other genres from this idea but some genres will benefit is a big way.

Imagine resident evil in two player, you could both go about playing the game, each having different roles,puzzles and story to follow (this is why linking 2 consoles would be better) and both stories could cross paths and join together to get the complete story, you could have to fight the bigger monsters together as they would be too hard to fight on your own.
I think there is a lot of potential in this type of multiplayer, potential to make games better in terms of multiplayer mode. With on-line gaming I think the idea could be improved more, maybe larger multiplayers which put many characters in the main game mode with each player having their own role to play in the game.

When I think this through I can see that there are lots of restrictions in place on developers and it will probably be some time before technology allows this to take off in a suitable way. But I think this is the way multiplayers should be, similar in a way to the idea used in games like Streets of rage, Golden axe, and various games that appeared on the amiga like Mercs. Hopefully it is an idea that dosn't get overlooked and when technology supports it, gets used in games to make them great for single and multiplayer modes.

The latest game I have heard that has this feature is Halo on the XBox, I think that it is also something that should take off again, developers hopefully will realise that not all us gamers are lonely, we have friends and sometimes games with such multiplayer options are just what we are looking for. Also I pressume that when the on-line networks for the consoles take off we could see some special options in games allowing us to play not only against others but maybe also with two to ten others as part as a team - co-operative gaming if you like. It is a feature I miss, from the days of Golden Axe and my amiga games where two players were against the computer not against each other. I just hope that developers include more two (or more) player co-operative multiplayer options and not just the 1 player versu another mode that gets used again and again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.