GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top Ten"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/04/02 at 16:37
Regular
Okay, so I know there have been a lot of these already, but there are two half-decent reasons for why I am posting my Top 10 Games of all time. One, I realised that I had never really done one myself. And two, we've got until 22nd June to complete our IT coursework, and I'm basically finished, so try and guess what I do during lessons.

Also, I know a lot of you out there will be rather annoyed at this list because it contains no Nintendo games at all, apart from a GBA port. And I don't really care, because Sony rule.

I expect a lot of controversy about my no.9, because hardly anyone liked the movie, let alone the game. {:) Anyway, here it is:

TOP 10 GAMES OF ALL TIME

10. Max Payne (PC and PS2)- Innovative FPS. Includes Matrix-style bullet dodging, an inventive storyline, great graphics, lots of weapons and some excellent, dark graphics. You play Max Payne, an undercover cop whose family is murdered in his own home. This turns his life upside-down, and soon he is on the run from gangs like the mafia, as well as his former friends in the Police force. He can trust no one. The game is split into three parts, which are each separated into chapters. The story is told in a comic book fashion, and the enticing storyline will keep you playing right until the end. The many different environments include an old, abandoned train station, a ship and even Max’s nightmare.

9. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (PC and PSX)- Although not worldly renowned, one of my personal favourites. Much variety is evident in the gameplay, because as well as destroying droids and killing enemies, there is a large puzzle element too, such as finding parts for Anakin’s Pod Racer. Nice graphics and great weapons mean that this game is an all-time great, and with such a huge environment to explore you won’t be completing it in a few hours.

8. Zone Of The Enders (PS2 and GBA)- ZOE comes from Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear Solid. This is evident in this game because there is much emotion in the plot, and the storyline and characters are very original. He takes a different route from usual, and this time you fight enemies inside a sort of robot (there are many different kinds), which is able to fly and swim, and has a large array of weaponry. The most special part of this game is its AI, with which your character creates a special relationship. Another masterpiece from Kojima-san.

7. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2)- the most realistic racer ever created. The graphics are fantastic, with detailed models and gorgeous environments; you won’t get much closer to real than this. The game is massive-to reach 100% you’ll have to win over 200 races, and even then there’s still Arcade Mode to complete! Will not get repetitive thanks to the amount of cars there are, including the amazing Escudo Pikes Peak version and Formula 1 cars.

6. Tekken 1, 2, 3 and Tag (PSX and PS2)- the Tekken series is the most successful beat ‘em up series ever. It beats the likes of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat and with great characters, fast and fun gameplay and extra modes such as Survivor and Team Battle. All the elements are included with great sounds and wonderful environments, and every time you complete Arcade Mode you are rewarded with a new character to fight with and a special FMV scene. And although Tekken Tag wasn’t as popular as the other instalments, it still offered some candy for the eyes and is now a bridge for the upcoming Tekken 4. Best beat ‘em up ever. HEY-YA!!

5. Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2 and X-Box)- GTA3 is rated 18 for a reason, and that is because this is possibly the goriest and most violent game ever. There are many ‘options’ in this game, usually deciding on how you can evilly murder innocent civilians. Will you go for the basic approach with a baseball bat, or is the Rocket Launcher more to your tastes? The main element of the game is driving. Basically, if you see a car then nick it, and take it to whoever will give you a job (this usually involves a crime of some sort.) There are 76 missions overall, and take place in 3 different parts of Liberty City. Expect to be chased by the Mafia and gangs like the Diablo’s, as well as your worst enemies-the cops. Extremely controversial, but who cares?

4. Deus Ex (PC and PS2)- Futuristic FPS, excels in originality. As well as being a huge game that will take a long while to complete, Deus Ex boasts a twisting and enticing plot and some very innovative characters. On the subject of innovative, this game includes nano-machines. Your character is not human, and can download these ‘programs’, which give him extra skills and improve his old ones. These include having extra strength and being invulnerable to radiation and other toxic gasses. With many weapons and some excellent graphics, this game is a must buy for any fan of shoot ‘em ups, and for that matter, any fan of video games.

3. Championship Manager 01/02 (PC and X-Box)- The Championship Manager series has spiralled almost 10 years now, and if you own a PC and like a good old game of football then the chances are you own a copy of this game, or at least one of the earlier instalments. Championship Manager 01/02 is without a doubt the most realistic and detailed football management simulation out, towering above its rivals like LMA Manager. It’s literally massive- with over 20 leagues to choose from including all the major European leagues (as well as the smaller ones), and leagues from South America, Asia and many more, you certainly are spoilt for choice. And whether you decide to be AS Roma, Chernomorets Odessa or Kidderminster Harriers, you have a full squad to choose from, as well as thousands of them to buy. You can interact with players, the board of directors, the FA and much more, and this new version has all the updated players, along with the ability to compare two players. So, do you want to know whether Steven Gerrard is better than that punk Lee Bowyer? Surely you already know the answer, but still, this nice little touch can come in handy. Overall this game will keep you playing for *years*, and as it says on the back of the box, this will be the most important game of your life.

2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PS2)- In terms of graphics and most probably gameplay, this is the best game ever. It came unbelievably close to being my no.1, but its predecessor pips it to the place. This of course, is the sequel to what was widely regarded as the best game of the past generation of consoles, Metal Gear Solid. MGS2 offers a lot of improvements from the prequel, especially in the areas of gameplay, graphics and possibly sound. There are more weapons and gadgets, new characters to meet as well as old ones, new environments and options and much, much more. You play as the legendary Solid Snake in the first part of the game, and as Raiden for the second. The game is set in a Tanker and an offshore Clean Up Facility. Sound dull? Thanks to the wonderful skills of Kojima’s team, they have managed to turn these supposedly boring environments into colourful, exuberant places, ones that you will want to explore again and again. The plot is very much the main part of this game, and without it MGS2 would be rather pointless. Fortunately, the plot is very reminiscent of the one featured in MGS, with the changes of characters and settings. As always Metal Gear plays a major part, and the bad guys are a bit strange, including a Vampire and a deranged bomber. MGS2 also features one of the most emotional scenes ever to be seen in video games history. Nice.

1. Metal Gear Solid (PSX)- Those of you who know me, and even a few of you who don’t will have known my no.1 before I even posted this. That’s probably because I rant about it more than anyone else about any other game (although I reckon Grix and Skies Of Arcadia could contest that). It is of course Metal Gear Solid on the PlayStation, surely one of the greatest games ever. It is an ultra realistic game in terms of graphics and gameplay, but the plot could almost be described as one of an RPG. MGS involves Ninjas, psychics, massive walking nuclear weapon machines, two brothers called “Snake” that were cloned from “Big Boss”, and a huge green man who is obsessed with Ravens. This is what makes the game so special. It was also the first game to really include emotion, as some parts of it made me laugh, and some nearly made me cry. The scene where one of the bosses, Sniper Wolf, finally dies is an all-time classic, and this emotion is right at the forefront of the plot. MGS is original and innovative in many different ways, the element of stealth being at the core of the game. You can’t complete it with all guns blazing, which is what makes it so unique. There’s not much more I can say about this game, because I described a lot of it when I talked about MGS2. Why do I think this is better than its sequel? Because when I played this, it was special. It was exceptional. MGS2, although fantastic, is not as innovative as its prequel was. Metal Gear Solid, is my favourite game ever. Bet you weren’t expecting that, eh? Were ya? Eh? EH!?

Ladies, Gentlemen, Monkeys, Sheep, Badgers and Brains, that, is my Top 10 All-Time Favourite games. Thank-you very much for reading/ridiculing.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Tue 07/05/02 at 20:25
Hunky Funky Monkey, your flooding the forum.
Tue 07/05/02 at 20:10
:0 :0 :0, pah pah pah, N64 crap yeh, NO!

It brought gaming to a new level with it's innovative and unique 64 bit capabilities.

And, as for TIF 2002 being better than Pro Evolution, there is are only two things I can say; NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEE, and SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Anyway, what's Darkness_2K on about??

I agree that MGS is not the best game ever, but Champ Manager shou;d definitely be there.

Anyway, well done :)

P.S. savatt, if you are reading along with other retarded, imbecilic and inbred people who dislike the N64, I don't care what you think, so don't start.

Thanks
Tue 23/04/02 at 20:11
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
No problem man :)

Another point is.......

it actually depends on what games you have played. People who solely own a pc or console probably wouldn't have played the games of other machines. Personally, I have never actually played Metal Gear Solid, well properly anyway, so I am in no position to rate it as a game. I have played the majority of good pc games (except Grix's favourite, sorry!).

(I know that people are going to make the point that most games come out in multiple formats for PC & consoles but lets just ignore that fact so that my point seems/is immense)
Tue 23/04/02 at 20:01
Regular
"I like cheese"
mcg_highlander wrote:
> Why oh why do people moan about certain games not being in a person's
> top 10? This is quite frustrating, probably more so for the person
> that posted THEIR opinion, in the case Ant. I think that it is quite
> good that he has written his top 10 with reasons why he feels they are
> in his top 10. As an individual we have a right to be unique if and
> when we choose to be. If you have a difference of opinion fine, write
> your own top 10 games list.

Hehe, thanks for the comments mate. I agree very much, we all have our own opinions and our own tastes, and if someone writes valid reasons for their choices then so be it. Maybe some would say I'm stupid for having Metal Gear as my no.1 instead of Zelda or whatever, but in my view Metal Gear is by far a better game. Just my opinion though.
Tue 23/04/02 at 19:50
Regular
"I like cheese"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> "Max Payne (PC and PS2)- Innovative FPS."
>
> Only just noticed that. Tut tut Ant. ;0)

Dammit, you're so fussy Grix. ;)

It's just I'm so used to playing PC FPS. I was shocked to see an actual 3rd Person shooter on the PC. Then again, I do own the PS2 version so...agh, just go away. {:)
Tue 23/04/02 at 19:50
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
Why oh why do people moan about certain games not being in a person's top 10? This is quite frustrating, probably more so for the person that posted THEIR opinion, in the case Ant. I think that it is quite good that he has written his top 10 with reasons why he feels they are in his top 10. As an individual we have a right to be unique if and when we choose to be. If you have a difference of opinion fine, write your own top 10 games list.

Oh, by the way... Why don't you have one of the best atmospheric games ever, Alien Vs Predator 1/2, in YOUR top 10?!?!?
Tue 23/04/02 at 18:11
Regular
"Max Payne (PC and PS2)- Innovative FPS."

Only just noticed that. Tut tut Ant. ;0)
Tue 23/04/02 at 15:50
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Only an imecilic, retarded, inbred cretin would have MGS as his No.1 game of all time, and as for Championship Manager, and MGS2, what are they doing there?

Cant fault your other choices though :)
Mon 22/04/02 at 23:22
Regular
"I like cheese"
Hehe, thanks Jon, but the N64 was crap, surely you must admit it. TIF 2002 is much better than Pro Evo too. {:)
Mon 22/04/02 at 20:34
Sorry Ant, but I don't agree with you in some parts. Where's such games as Perfect Dark (oh yeah, I forgot, you don't like the N64 for some unexplaineable and stupid reason), or Pro Evolution Soccer (defifnitely the best football game ever)???

Championship Manager should be first. It is without a doubt THE most addictive and realistic footy management game ever.

Well done in completing this in your IT lessons, Mr. Cotterhill is such a crap teacher, he knows about as much about computers as a sloth does!!

Or as Darkness_2k would say 'He doesn't even know as much as one of those retarded, inbred, monkey cretins at PC World does'!!!

That was sssooooooooo funny in Maths today!

Good post anyway :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.