GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guild Wars"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Guild Wars'.
Wed 09/01/08 at 21:41
Regular
"Captain to you."
A few years ago one of my house mates told me about an upcoming MMORPG that was due out and what really got me interested was that it was FREE, World Of Warcraft had been out for a while but as a student at the time the £8 a month fee that WoW requested turned in to lovely liquid that comes in pints. (not milk)

Although i am just saying Guild Wars i do in fact mean all the Guild Wars. Which includes 3 other games (Factions, Nightfall and Eye Of The North) as well as the original game.

Guild Wars is set in a beautiful world and even on high settings runs like a dream on most machines.

A lot of people don't class Guild Wars as a proper MMORPG as it isn't a persistent world like WoW, Guild Wars works on an instanced game world. In towns and outposts you are in districts, these allow a limited number of players to all interact with each other, chat, join up in to parties and trade. Once you are set for a mission or decide to leave town a whole world is created for you and your party.

You will never experience someone stealing your kill, robbing your loot or ganking you while you start out with a new character. although most of those are upsides it also means that a lot of the social interaction of the game is missing. You will never be attacked randomly by something much more powerful just for a travelling priest to stop and heal you and help you out or have someone give you some items you need because they want to free up some bag space while grinding their level up.

All your interaction will only be in towns and outposts as once you leave people tend to just want to get the mission or quest done and aren't really up for just hanging out and exploring.

One thing i personally do love about Guild Wars is that the level system isn't really there to separate people whole play a hell of a lot and new players. there is a level limit of 20 and often can be obtained within a few days of play. the great thing is that at level 20 you realise that the game was really just introducing you to the different situations and types of creatures as well as easing you in to learning to play. You will only be about half way in to the main campaign when you turn level 20 and then you can play all of the following campaigns with that character.

You will never have hundreds of spells and skills, guild wars only allows 8 active skills at any one time, this means before you leave a town you must decide what skills you are going to use for the whole time you are outside the town.

This is really what makes Guild Wars a truly great game, there are so many skills that you can learn but only ever take 8 at once meaning that people have to learn what skills they need for what situation and when to use them. Finding a character with the same skill bar as you will be quite unlikely, where as World Of Warcraft there are only really Talents separating each character and often you are best to only take one skill tree as otherwise you'll never be as powerful as someone that does and with random attacks quite common in WoW you will find you'll want to be as powerful as you can.

So far i have only talked about the main story and campaign but this isn't called GUILD WARS for nothing. you will find people wanting others to join their guild, when you do, or even set up you own guild you will gain a cape which has your guild logo on. Your guild can then enter PvP fights against other Guilds. There is a table for all the guilds and various game modes including Capture the Flag.

I've never really been one for the PvP side of the game, even though i do have a decent build for each character to go in to it should i ever fancy it but so far i am happily going a long the story in the latest game Eye Of The North.

There are often free trials and open weekends for people to sign up and try it out so if you have a PC and are looking for something to eat up some of your free time then i suggest you take a look.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 09/01/08 at 21:41
Regular
"Captain to you."
A few years ago one of my house mates told me about an upcoming MMORPG that was due out and what really got me interested was that it was FREE, World Of Warcraft had been out for a while but as a student at the time the £8 a month fee that WoW requested turned in to lovely liquid that comes in pints. (not milk)

Although i am just saying Guild Wars i do in fact mean all the Guild Wars. Which includes 3 other games (Factions, Nightfall and Eye Of The North) as well as the original game.

Guild Wars is set in a beautiful world and even on high settings runs like a dream on most machines.

A lot of people don't class Guild Wars as a proper MMORPG as it isn't a persistent world like WoW, Guild Wars works on an instanced game world. In towns and outposts you are in districts, these allow a limited number of players to all interact with each other, chat, join up in to parties and trade. Once you are set for a mission or decide to leave town a whole world is created for you and your party.

You will never experience someone stealing your kill, robbing your loot or ganking you while you start out with a new character. although most of those are upsides it also means that a lot of the social interaction of the game is missing. You will never be attacked randomly by something much more powerful just for a travelling priest to stop and heal you and help you out or have someone give you some items you need because they want to free up some bag space while grinding their level up.

All your interaction will only be in towns and outposts as once you leave people tend to just want to get the mission or quest done and aren't really up for just hanging out and exploring.

One thing i personally do love about Guild Wars is that the level system isn't really there to separate people whole play a hell of a lot and new players. there is a level limit of 20 and often can be obtained within a few days of play. the great thing is that at level 20 you realise that the game was really just introducing you to the different situations and types of creatures as well as easing you in to learning to play. You will only be about half way in to the main campaign when you turn level 20 and then you can play all of the following campaigns with that character.

You will never have hundreds of spells and skills, guild wars only allows 8 active skills at any one time, this means before you leave a town you must decide what skills you are going to use for the whole time you are outside the town.

This is really what makes Guild Wars a truly great game, there are so many skills that you can learn but only ever take 8 at once meaning that people have to learn what skills they need for what situation and when to use them. Finding a character with the same skill bar as you will be quite unlikely, where as World Of Warcraft there are only really Talents separating each character and often you are best to only take one skill tree as otherwise you'll never be as powerful as someone that does and with random attacks quite common in WoW you will find you'll want to be as powerful as you can.

So far i have only talked about the main story and campaign but this isn't called GUILD WARS for nothing. you will find people wanting others to join their guild, when you do, or even set up you own guild you will gain a cape which has your guild logo on. Your guild can then enter PvP fights against other Guilds. There is a table for all the guilds and various game modes including Capture the Flag.

I've never really been one for the PvP side of the game, even though i do have a decent build for each character to go in to it should i ever fancy it but so far i am happily going a long the story in the latest game Eye Of The North.

There are often free trials and open weekends for people to sign up and try it out so if you have a PC and are looking for something to eat up some of your free time then i suggest you take a look.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.