GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BIOS Beeps??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/04/02 at 09:52
Regular
help PC has stopped booting. It just beeps 2x then 9x then 2x then 1x and that is it nothing. No display or any life. Any ideas?
Wed 24/04/02 at 09:51
The PC was working OK until a normal shutdown the other day and then this problem occured on the next power up??
Have completely removed all kit from the MOBO and replaced and seated correctly.
Have tried a compatable RAM chip from a working PC but still the same.
MOBO is quite old and has no makers ID on it. The bios chip has AMI541 on it. Tried the reset jumper, booting from floppy, holding DEL or ESC down on boot but no luck.
As this is so old it may well be time to replace the MOBO anyway.
Wed 24/04/02 at 09:20
SkythePig wrote:
> help PC has stopped booting. It just beeps 2x then 9x then 2x then 1x
> and that is it nothing. No display or any life. Any ideas?

Sounds like your video card is a little bit loose - if not, check all the other cards are pushed in firmly
Tue 23/04/02 at 10:34
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Does tend to mean that either something isn't seated properly, or you've screwed up your BIOS. Try once booting loading bios defaults (differs between mobos, I hold delete as I switch the pc on, check your manual), and if the doesn't work, removing everything and starting from scratch may be easier than trying each component individually if you don't knwo what it is that's causing the trouble.
Mon 22/04/02 at 23:42
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Try making sure your IDE devices are installed correctly. Y'know, prim/slave settings all OK, leads pushed in correctly, right way round helps :)
Mon 22/04/02 at 15:59
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
I crapped myself when I did this to a mates PC recently...turns out the RAM was loose, try that?
Mon 22/04/02 at 14:49
Regular
Most motherboards these days have Award Bios chips, but not all. Go to a technical website and find somewhere which will tell you what the beeps mean. If the board is beeping, then it's not your power supply or board itself. It could be badly fitted/fault processor, RAM or video card.

Try taking everything out of the system excpet the CPU, RAM and graphics card, and se if the system starts up woth just those installed.
Mon 22/04/02 at 13:10
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I had this problem when my PC was upgraded, it was a faulty motherboard, only beeped that when I installed a new program.
Mon 22/04/02 at 11:46
Regular
Try reseating Chip then ram, not sure of bleeps as all motherboards have differant bleeps for differant problems.

c.b.
Mon 22/04/02 at 09:52
help PC has stopped booting. It just beeps 2x then 9x then 2x then 1x and that is it nothing. No display or any life. Any ideas?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.