GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zelda - Online!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/04/02 at 19:51
Regular
Since its first installment in the late 80s, the Zelda series has been one of the most successful and innovative series of video games ever. Rivaling even Mario in popularity, the Zelda series made both the SNES and N64 must buy consoles for any gamer, but the series has missed one key element from day one: multiplayer gaming. Who wouldn’t want to explore, hack, and slash in the land of Hyrule with their friends? I know I would, so lets look at what kind of fun we could have with Zelda on Internet, even if it is cel shaded.

The only possible mode of Online play that would ever realistically come to the Zelda series in the foreseeable future is co-operative play, but don’t let the lack of options bother you, because the co-operative play has the potential to be amazing. A keyboard or microphone would be necessary for communication between you and your friend, and you of course would need the modem or broadband adapter. Anyway, lets get down to the nitty gritty.

There would need to be a whole new quest for the cooperative mode, bosses would require two people to take them down, puzzles would be far more complex, and the quest would be structured around cooperation in general. My good friend and I both purchased The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on opening day and played it all the way through side by side, and even now we have staked out our own "territory" in Hyrule that we like to "hang out" in. I chose Lake Hylia, and he chose Gerudo Fortress. Imagine if we could both play at our houses online simultaneously. We could have horse races, play the quest from start to finish all night long, and have sword duels, maybe even battle over territory! Your imagination is the limit, but needless to say playing with other people adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay. I have learned this both from playing Diablo II online, and from playing Perfect Dark cooperatively as well. Both of these games require teamwork to survive, in PD you ask for cover, or one man plays recon while the other defends the base, but there is constant interaction between teammates, and it would be no different, say, exploring a temple. A question that arises is if there are two people playing together in a Zelda game, who is the other character? This is a simple choice for Miyamoto to make, I doubt it would be any character already in the series, but rather a completely new character that was equal to link in physical ability, but didn’t quite have the "hero" label that Link has.

Hopefully by now you are picturing how you and your friends could spend your hours in Hyrule, because that is the real purpose of this topic. Let your imagination run wild, it will take you more places then you might think. I only hope the new land of Hyrule Mr. Miyamoto makes for us will be expansive enough to allow serious exploration.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sun 21/04/02 at 19:51
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Since its first installment in the late 80s, the Zelda series has been one of the most successful and innovative series of video games ever. Rivaling even Mario in popularity, the Zelda series made both the SNES and N64 must buy consoles for any gamer, but the series has missed one key element from day one: multiplayer gaming. Who wouldn’t want to explore, hack, and slash in the land of Hyrule with their friends? I know I would, so lets look at what kind of fun we could have with Zelda on Internet, even if it is cel shaded.

The only possible mode of Online play that would ever realistically come to the Zelda series in the foreseeable future is co-operative play, but don’t let the lack of options bother you, because the co-operative play has the potential to be amazing. A keyboard or microphone would be necessary for communication between you and your friend, and you of course would need the modem or broadband adapter. Anyway, lets get down to the nitty gritty.

There would need to be a whole new quest for the cooperative mode, bosses would require two people to take them down, puzzles would be far more complex, and the quest would be structured around cooperation in general. My good friend and I both purchased The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on opening day and played it all the way through side by side, and even now we have staked out our own "territory" in Hyrule that we like to "hang out" in. I chose Lake Hylia, and he chose Gerudo Fortress. Imagine if we could both play at our houses online simultaneously. We could have horse races, play the quest from start to finish all night long, and have sword duels, maybe even battle over territory! Your imagination is the limit, but needless to say playing with other people adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay. I have learned this both from playing Diablo II online, and from playing Perfect Dark cooperatively as well. Both of these games require teamwork to survive, in PD you ask for cover, or one man plays recon while the other defends the base, but there is constant interaction between teammates, and it would be no different, say, exploring a temple. A question that arises is if there are two people playing together in a Zelda game, who is the other character? This is a simple choice for Miyamoto to make, I doubt it would be any character already in the series, but rather a completely new character that was equal to link in physical ability, but didn’t quite have the "hero" label that Link has.

Hopefully by now you are picturing how you and your friends could spend your hours in Hyrule, because that is the real purpose of this topic. Let your imagination run wild, it will take you more places then you might think. I only hope the new land of Hyrule Mr. Miyamoto makes for us will be expansive enough to allow serious exploration.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.