GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cell Shading!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/04/02 at 19:11
Regular
I just wanted to say that i think cell shading sucks! I think it makes most games look pants and un-finished. Its just something designers do when they cant be bothered to render the graphics and actually spend time on a game!!! Anyone agree or is it just me?
Sun 21/04/02 at 19:11
I just wanted to say that i think cell shading sucks! I think it makes most games look pants and un-finished. Its just something designers do when they cant be bothered to render the graphics and actually spend time on a game!!! Anyone agree or is it just me?
Sun 21/04/02 at 19:14
Regular
"hit the road jack"
I see your point, but some people may want something different ;)j
Sun 21/04/02 at 19:18
Why fix something thats not broken? ie. why make mario kart cell shaded (hypothetical question) when it was already a great game on the N64. I fail to see the point in making the graphics look pap? Anyway everyone has their views, thats mine.
Sun 21/04/02 at 19:19
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Well, Jet Set Radio is a great game that benefits from having cell shaded looks to add to its funky graffiti style, and whether the new Zelda will or won't use cell shaded style is unknown, but i think the cell shaded Zelda looks really cool, and makes it look different from the N64 versions, and after all, we wouldn't want the Zelda series to get stale by keep trying for realistic graphics and atmosphere would we? A new style is welcome and keeps Zelda fresh.

Really though, the cell shaded style is a fad. A new style like this catches on really quickly all developers pick up on it, and is sometimes over used when it first appears, but it's really not too bad.
Sun 21/04/02 at 19:23
I dont mind 3D cartoon style graphics, like most Nintendo games (mario, SMB, Zelda etc). but i dont like the cell shaded aspect. We'll just have to wait and see what develops in the future.
Sun 21/04/02 at 19:46
Regular
I don't think its that bad. The new Zelda looks good!

:)
Sun 21/04/02 at 20:33
Regular
"hiyaaaaahhhh!!!!"
Liquid Snake wrote:
> I don't think its that bad. The new Zelda looks good!
>
> :)

I agree, I try to think of the new Zelda style as a 3D disney movie, with soundtracks and lighting effects to match!
Sun 21/04/02 at 20:38
Regular
I think the cel shading works very well, especially when you look at Cel-damage. The cel-shading makes it look like you are part of a cartoon and makes it look more intresting, especially seeing the axe cut right through a car. But, if your going for a more realsitic approach, then cel-shading is not the ticket.
Mon 22/04/02 at 17:59
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I personally like the cell-shading style, but I do not feel it is suitable for Zelda. It's still a good way of rendering characters and backgrounds, but it's not Zelda.

It's worked well in Jet Set Radio and should also work well in Cell-Damage. So why not in Zelda GC also!??
It may make it look even kiddier than many anti-Ninties believe, but I think it could help make the animations look better than ever!
I still hope it's all a long-running Nintendo prank, but I won't be dissapointed aslong as it plays well!

I've also heard about using the C-stick to control the sword, and I think that would be brilliant!
Mon 22/04/02 at 19:54
Regular
"thursdayton!"
As many people like both types of Zelda, the best idea would be to have both kinds, and you could switch to the one you wanted. But that would take up loads of space on the game, making the actuall game shorter.

If the game is good, I will have no problem with the graphics. We always will have the remake of Ocarina of Time.

<{TPHÎ}>

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.