GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Gamecube Experience"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/04/02 at 18:26
Regular
I would finally get to try out the Gamecube after years of anticipation. As today I would venture up to a import shop in Sutton and play GC for the very first time (a long wait I know).

I was treated to four Gamecube kiosks. Three of them were playing Luigi's Mansion and the fourth had Wave Race running on it. My first glimpse at the size of the Gamecube wasn't all that exciting. I had already built a replica Gamecube a while ago and marveled at it for weeks on end. Nevertheless, the thing is damn small at 4.6"*5.6"*5.9".

Before I get into the controller, I'd also like to add that assistants there also gave out Gamecube folders that had a PC mini-disc with GCN miscellaneous info. My gosh... the mini-disc is incredibly tiny! The folder they gave out over there was basically a flat replica of the top and bottom of the Cube. When looking at the bottom I couldn't help but smile when I saw how tiny the modem should be. The 'Serial Port 1' is where Nintendo intends to place its modem add-ons and the thing is only a couple of inches long and wide.

Now for the controller. I've heard reviews from both the media and the fans about the controller. No matter how much people will praise about this peripheral around you it will in no way prepare you for the bliss you'll feel once you touch it. First of all, the thing is tiny! I don't know what's up with the guys at Nintendo Of Japan, but they seem to like tiny things! The Gamecube controller melted perfectly in my hands. One thing I definitely noticed was the definite improvement over the analog stick. On the N64 the stick has a little spherical ball that attaches to a long shaft. On the Gamecube controller it's kind of like that of the PS2's: the analog stick is attached to a big sphere inside the controller, but it's actually hanging out unlike on the N64. Hopefully this can prevent all that scratched paint to surface on the GCN controller like it used to for Nintendo fans.

The camera stick is tight. The thing is so small, so delightful yet it still feels great. The stick is designed just like the analog stick but it's a bit smaller. The top of the stick has a squared, flat surface but that's no problem at all. When you're moving it around in Luigi's Mansion it feels great. The L&R buttons were a dream, baby. Oh man how I feel sorry for anybody who hasn't touched them yet. When pushing down on the buttons it feels like an eternity till you actually hear the click. That's what's so cool about it. I just love the analog aspect of them.

Now for the basic buttons. The Z button which everybody seems to have been complaining about isn't bad at all. It feels almost exactly like the A button when you push it, except for some reason only the right part of the button is sensitive. It's like it was built on a negative slope. It doesn't matter anyway because that doesn't detract from any gameplay aspects a game might need from this button. I really don't know why there was so much of a fuss on the boards and from the media for this button.

The A, B, X and Y buttons were mucho gusto. Fantastico. Muy bien. AWESOME!! You have the huge green A button which your thumb is centered on, and the rest of the action buttons intuitively placed around it. Here's how I can explain where the buttons are placed. Think of the Down C button on the N64's controller as a beefed-up A button. In between the Up C and Right C buttons you find the X button. In between the Left C and Up C buttons you find the Y button. And in between the A and B buttons (on the N64) you find the B button.

I guess that's it. The controller was awesome. One gripe I have with the controller though is the horrible D-Pad. I cannot understand why the hell Nintendo would blow such a great creation with the biggest pile of dung of a D-Pad I have ever seen. Anybody worrying about playing fighting games on the Gamecube does not need to fret. The D-Pad is perfectly reachable from where your left thumb should usually be. What's quite odd is how insanely small Nintendo designed it. I honestly can't understand why the D-Pad sucks so much. WHY IN THE HELL DID NINTENDO MAKE IT SO SMALL?!?!

Well that's it. I played Wave Race and Luigi's Mansion but I really don't feel like writing anymore. HOWEVER, I will gladly answer any questions you guys have (including those concerning the games I played). I don't care if I end up writing more than I initially intended for. Just ask away baby, that ryhmes, doesn't it???
Tue 23/04/02 at 16:17
Regular
Around the Sutton area...
Mon 22/04/02 at 16:07
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
auf deutsch wrote:
> AshMan wrote:
> I would finally get to try out the Gamecube after years of
> anticipation. As today I would venture up to a import shop in Sutton
> and play GC for the very first time (a long wait I know).
>
> Holy s***, you live round Sutton...was that Playtron you were in
> Ashman?

Actually I live in Ashtead, near Epsom. It was in some hall that I played the GC....dunno what it was called, my mum heard about it...where do you live in Surrey then Auf Deutsch!?
Sun 21/04/02 at 22:15
Regular
AshMan wrote:
> I would finally get to try out the Gamecube after years of
> anticipation. As today I would venture up to a import shop in Sutton
> and play GC for the very first time (a long wait I know).
>
> Holy s***, you live round Sutton...was that Playtron you were in Ashman?
Sun 21/04/02 at 21:00
Regular
I havent seen any GC pods yet just TVs with GC controllers. The only ganme that Ive had the chance to paly on is Luigis Mansion, I think ill get hat now.

What I like about the controller is the L and R buttons, the have a grove for your finger.
Sun 21/04/02 at 19:36
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
BIGMAN wrote:
> Yep, i got the controller a couple of weeks ago from Canada !
> It sits in my sock draw awaiting the GC to arrive !

I just ordered one too, should come next week, I also ordered a memory card as they will be short on launch day!
Sun 21/04/02 at 19:32
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Too bad only Wave Race and LM were available. But I'm going to be there next week for Smash Bros. Melee baby! If Rogue Leader is there then more power to me.

If you look at the N64 controller and look at the curves on the two outside prongs, that'll give you an idea on how thick the Gamecube controller is. The thing is, when looking at the front of the controller you can see that the prongs are just a little wide but really long. When you turn it around you'll see that it's really thick. All I can is that the controller is AWESOME.
Sun 21/04/02 at 18:59
sock draw - too much information!
Sun 21/04/02 at 18:40
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Yep, i got the controller a couple of weeks ago from Canada !
It sits in my sock draw awaiting the GC to arrive !
Sun 21/04/02 at 18:37
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Bigman can hold the controller anytime he likes!! DAMM HIM!! ;)j
Sun 21/04/02 at 18:35
Regular
I played the Gamecube as well, and like GBA I found it to be a little on the small side. But the shoulder buttons rule!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.