GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Next 'Step'"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/04/02 at 15:53
Regular
How many ‘steps’ do you think that gaming has taken since it began? Well the first step was (obviously enough) the birth of the home entertainment system. What was that? Well there are many answers to this. The Sinclair ZX81 is the one that springs to my mind but if you picked A) the Atari or B) the Commodore 64… then you have just won £16,000. Err, right. Well yes those three answers are all correct

So what was the next step? Well that would have to be the NES. Or Nintendo Entertainment System. This console revolutionised gaming as we (as a race) knew it. It also saw Mario brought forward from arcades to home consoles. Yep the NES was definitely where proper gaming began. What next? PC’s. Yes they were built primarily for work etc but game manufacturers took advantage of the sheer power of the PC and re-revolutionised gaming. Again. Actual flight simulations were made, Theme Park was born and gaming entered its Bronze Age in my view.

Soon after PCs arrived and colonised the world, the SNES, Nintendo’s follow up to the NES, was revealed to the world. The graphics were considered to be the best in the business and the all round playability of games was raised. I consider the SNES to home my favourite all time game(s). The SNES had competition though. The Sega Megadrive was being sold worldwide on a massive scale and the Great Console Wars began. Who would have guessed that they would go on for more than a decade?

Then, gaming came to its silver age. The PlayStation, N64 and Dreamcast. The PlayStation was the first ‘next gen’ console. With games like Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto and Die Hard, the PlayStation hyped, advertised and pirated it’s way to the position of King Of Consoles.

The N64, released in 1997 brought us GoldenEye. The next step was then taken with this release. A new playability level was reached. The graphics were silky smooth, the gameplay slick and… well it was James Bond!

The Dreamcast opened up a new window for the great lumbering giant of gaming to fall through (And, unfortunately as we now know, crashed to the ground face first) The Dreamcast of course brought us internet gaming. Yeah I know this was already available on PCs but it was a first for consoles. Unfortunately Sega have now spluttered and died on the console side of things But it’s fantastic to see them still developing, for all of the next-gen consoles. So, the final step that gaming is going to take will be completed with the release of the GameCube.

At this point I believe that gaming can’t get any better. The peak will have been reached. Gaming will go into its golden stage. The graphics will look stunningly realistic (photo-realistic in some cases) and won’t be able to be improved. So, after gaming has reached its pinnacle, where the hell is it going to go next?

Well that question is one I have been pondering, and, after many donuts and crumbs on the keyboard, I have come up with two answers. Virtual Reality, this can be the only way that gaming can get any BETTER. The feeling of actually being there, being in game physically DOING the puzzle, swimming through the lake…etc. However, on the VR front it don’t look too purdy. The Virtual Boy released by Nintendo in… God knows when actually. Anyway, the Virtual Boy was basically a console in a headset I don’t actually know the details of control and things, but I DO know that it was headache inducing. Very badly headache inducing.

It sold very poorly, to put it bluntly. You could argue that it wasn’t true Virtual Reality, and you’d be right, it’s not. However, it’s the closest thing that was ever made and sold commercially to VR and so it's the thing that can give us our best predictions about VR in the future.

There is of course the 'TIV' way to go. Total Immersion Videogames are a concept thought up by the writers of Red Dwarf, Rob Grant and Doug Naylor. The basic concept behind it is that it's VR, but instead of wearing a helmet and gloves, needles are inserted into your frontal lobe and hypothalamus and it makes you feel that you are really there. Not in the way VR shows you a film or something like that in your visor and it's a viewpoint that makes it feel real, in TIV's you can smell the air, you can touch the ground and you can eat the food. Never mind poncing about with mitts and a cycling helmet, with a TIV you are, when it boils down to it, there. Ok, you may not be there physically, but you are there mentally, and the fact that the game itself is plugged directly into your brain means that you are there physically in essence.

Could this be done? To tell you the truth, I don’t actually know although I doubt it. However it is a very interesting concept, and with the rate that technology is evolving and advancing, you really do never know. It IS a possibility, a slightly outlandish and unlikely possibility, but a possibility all the same.

That is one way. And the other one is outlandish again, but not quite as outlandish as the TIV option (although in my opinion that way seems the coolest :-D)… The other answer I came up with is slightly better than reality. Actual role-play. The scenery could be made or projected (hell, they could even use real places if they could fins suitable locations); people or employees of the company who are running the game would play the enemies. And you could take the title role. Costume, sword, shield… everything. Obviously I’m describing how a Beardy type RPG game would be. Shoot 'em ups would be twice as fun this way round, exactly the same as the ‘RPG set-up, scenery and enemies et al, but with paintball guns! How fun would that be? Legging it around pretending to be James Bond with a paintball gun, catching Trevelyn and Jaws (even better if they were your two best mates… muah!). Strategy games would be much more fun this way round. Imagine commanding a team of SWAT soldiers. Having maps and paintball guns, trying to work your way into a building. And you could have Command And Conquer… Imagine the possibilities for that, It would be awesome! So would beat-em ups come to think of it actually…

Also this way, new genres could be introduced. Decent war games could be played, with proper scenarios. Played in woodland with certain obstacles and tasks it would be superb. Obviously though you couldn’t go in with the heavy artillery. Like tanks, planes and the such, but it would still be brilliant.

Obviously not all game genres could be played like this though. Racing games would be impossible (Well, not impossible but very hard and very expensive to do) as would puzzlers. But I think that this is a small price to pay for… well, for what? Not Virtual Reality... It would be real life (sort of :-D). No computers would be involved so some may argue that it wouldn’t be gaming. And they’re right, it wouldn’t be gaming; it’d be better.
Sun 21/04/02 at 15:53
Regular
"You've upset me"
How many ‘steps’ do you think that gaming has taken since it began? Well the first step was (obviously enough) the birth of the home entertainment system. What was that? Well there are many answers to this. The Sinclair ZX81 is the one that springs to my mind but if you picked A) the Atari or B) the Commodore 64… then you have just won £16,000. Err, right. Well yes those three answers are all correct

So what was the next step? Well that would have to be the NES. Or Nintendo Entertainment System. This console revolutionised gaming as we (as a race) knew it. It also saw Mario brought forward from arcades to home consoles. Yep the NES was definitely where proper gaming began. What next? PC’s. Yes they were built primarily for work etc but game manufacturers took advantage of the sheer power of the PC and re-revolutionised gaming. Again. Actual flight simulations were made, Theme Park was born and gaming entered its Bronze Age in my view.

Soon after PCs arrived and colonised the world, the SNES, Nintendo’s follow up to the NES, was revealed to the world. The graphics were considered to be the best in the business and the all round playability of games was raised. I consider the SNES to home my favourite all time game(s). The SNES had competition though. The Sega Megadrive was being sold worldwide on a massive scale and the Great Console Wars began. Who would have guessed that they would go on for more than a decade?

Then, gaming came to its silver age. The PlayStation, N64 and Dreamcast. The PlayStation was the first ‘next gen’ console. With games like Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto and Die Hard, the PlayStation hyped, advertised and pirated it’s way to the position of King Of Consoles.

The N64, released in 1997 brought us GoldenEye. The next step was then taken with this release. A new playability level was reached. The graphics were silky smooth, the gameplay slick and… well it was James Bond!

The Dreamcast opened up a new window for the great lumbering giant of gaming to fall through (And, unfortunately as we now know, crashed to the ground face first) The Dreamcast of course brought us internet gaming. Yeah I know this was already available on PCs but it was a first for consoles. Unfortunately Sega have now spluttered and died on the console side of things But it’s fantastic to see them still developing, for all of the next-gen consoles. So, the final step that gaming is going to take will be completed with the release of the GameCube.

At this point I believe that gaming can’t get any better. The peak will have been reached. Gaming will go into its golden stage. The graphics will look stunningly realistic (photo-realistic in some cases) and won’t be able to be improved. So, after gaming has reached its pinnacle, where the hell is it going to go next?

Well that question is one I have been pondering, and, after many donuts and crumbs on the keyboard, I have come up with two answers. Virtual Reality, this can be the only way that gaming can get any BETTER. The feeling of actually being there, being in game physically DOING the puzzle, swimming through the lake…etc. However, on the VR front it don’t look too purdy. The Virtual Boy released by Nintendo in… God knows when actually. Anyway, the Virtual Boy was basically a console in a headset I don’t actually know the details of control and things, but I DO know that it was headache inducing. Very badly headache inducing.

It sold very poorly, to put it bluntly. You could argue that it wasn’t true Virtual Reality, and you’d be right, it’s not. However, it’s the closest thing that was ever made and sold commercially to VR and so it's the thing that can give us our best predictions about VR in the future.

There is of course the 'TIV' way to go. Total Immersion Videogames are a concept thought up by the writers of Red Dwarf, Rob Grant and Doug Naylor. The basic concept behind it is that it's VR, but instead of wearing a helmet and gloves, needles are inserted into your frontal lobe and hypothalamus and it makes you feel that you are really there. Not in the way VR shows you a film or something like that in your visor and it's a viewpoint that makes it feel real, in TIV's you can smell the air, you can touch the ground and you can eat the food. Never mind poncing about with mitts and a cycling helmet, with a TIV you are, when it boils down to it, there. Ok, you may not be there physically, but you are there mentally, and the fact that the game itself is plugged directly into your brain means that you are there physically in essence.

Could this be done? To tell you the truth, I don’t actually know although I doubt it. However it is a very interesting concept, and with the rate that technology is evolving and advancing, you really do never know. It IS a possibility, a slightly outlandish and unlikely possibility, but a possibility all the same.

That is one way. And the other one is outlandish again, but not quite as outlandish as the TIV option (although in my opinion that way seems the coolest :-D)… The other answer I came up with is slightly better than reality. Actual role-play. The scenery could be made or projected (hell, they could even use real places if they could fins suitable locations); people or employees of the company who are running the game would play the enemies. And you could take the title role. Costume, sword, shield… everything. Obviously I’m describing how a Beardy type RPG game would be. Shoot 'em ups would be twice as fun this way round, exactly the same as the ‘RPG set-up, scenery and enemies et al, but with paintball guns! How fun would that be? Legging it around pretending to be James Bond with a paintball gun, catching Trevelyn and Jaws (even better if they were your two best mates… muah!). Strategy games would be much more fun this way round. Imagine commanding a team of SWAT soldiers. Having maps and paintball guns, trying to work your way into a building. And you could have Command And Conquer… Imagine the possibilities for that, It would be awesome! So would beat-em ups come to think of it actually…

Also this way, new genres could be introduced. Decent war games could be played, with proper scenarios. Played in woodland with certain obstacles and tasks it would be superb. Obviously though you couldn’t go in with the heavy artillery. Like tanks, planes and the such, but it would still be brilliant.

Obviously not all game genres could be played like this though. Racing games would be impossible (Well, not impossible but very hard and very expensive to do) as would puzzlers. But I think that this is a small price to pay for… well, for what? Not Virtual Reality... It would be real life (sort of :-D). No computers would be involved so some may argue that it wouldn’t be gaming. And they’re right, it wouldn’t be gaming; it’d be better.
Sun 21/04/02 at 18:11
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Im quite suprised by this post.
As the Notable you are, I was expecting something 'original'.
Ive seen this type of post many times before.

Although, im not going to take it away from you to say that it wasnt a good post, (the best ive seen of all of them) but it has been done before and i cant remember the title of the whole thing for it.

hhhmmmmmm

Oh yeah, "the future of gaming" basically.

It was a good post and the best ive seen of all the Future of gaming posts.

:)
Sun 21/04/02 at 18:44
Regular
"You've upset me"
Hercules! wrote:
> Oh yeah, "the future of gaming" basically.

Well, this is the first Future of Gaming related post I've done in a while, and considering this is CALLED The FOG forum..
>
> It was a good post and the best ive seen of all the Future of gaming
> posts.
>
> :)

Why thankyou :-)
Sun 21/04/02 at 19:24
Regular
"Im Brilliant"
the japaness are working on ways to make virtual reality.
The End
Sun 21/04/02 at 19:25
Regular
"Im Brilliant"
japanese*
Sun 21/04/02 at 20:20
Regular
"Hmmm....."
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Hercules! wrote:
> Oh yeah, "the future of gaming" basically.
>
> Well, this is the first Future of Gaming related post I've done in a
> while, and considering this is CALLED The FOG forum..
>
> It was a good post and the best ive seen of all the Future of gaming
> posts.
>
> :)
>
> Why thankyou :-)

No problem........... heheh.
Sun 21/04/02 at 22:04
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
RBS... you have missed out loads of consoles before the ones you mention...

I believe the first commecially available console was the Magnotex (or something that sounds like that!)... followed by many many more that predate your earliest sighting.

Sonic
Mon 22/04/02 at 18:42
Regular
"You've upset me"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> RBS... you have missed out loads of consoles before the ones you
> mention...
>
> I believe the first commecially available console was the Magnotex (or
> something that sounds like that!)... followed by many many more that
> predate your earliest sighting.
>
> Sonic

Ahhh hiss off :-D
Mon 22/04/02 at 20:04
"Mimmargh!"
Doesn't the Sega Master System deserve a mention?
Tue 23/04/02 at 20:47
Regular
"You've upset me"
Protoss wrote:
> Doesn't the Sega Master System deserve a mention?

No :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.