GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do England need Shearer?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/04/02 at 12:03
Regular
Glenn Hoddle has recently been speaking about how he believes England need Shearer for the World Cup....and I am inclined to agree with him.

Look at the probable World Cup team:

Goalkeeper - David Seaman -> A dependable, if not the most gifted, goalkeeper. Seaman has bags of experience, and that is what gives him the lead over the other keepers.

Defence - Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole -> Neville is England's most experienced defender, and all the back line have Champs league experience. All are comfortable on the ball, esp. Cole and Ferdinand. Solid.

Midfield - Beckham (hopefully!), Gerrard, Scholes, Dyer/Cole -> Whoever plays on the left, England have a World-Class midfield, of that there is absolutely NO doubt. The other three can destroy any team's midfield, even the Argentinians or French, the talent is there, and they now all have Champs League experience. Dyer and Cole give that extra attacking thrust, the ability to run with the ball which can cause problems for any defences.

Strikers - Owen, ????? -> Owen is a World-Class striker, no arguments. But who else is there. Heskey? It is my opinion that Heskey is over-rated. How many good games has he played for England? I just never feel confident of him scoring, even when one-on-one. As a Man U fan, it is the same feeling I used to have when Cole went through on goal. You just have a doubt, as feeling that isn't there when Owen, van Nistelrooy, Henry or Hasselbaink get through on goal.

Or Shearer. Do you ever really expect Shearer to miss an easy chance? Thought not. Now I am not a fan of Shearer. I was SO relieved when he quit International football. But, no-one else looks fit to fill his shoes. Fowler would actually be my choice, but he never seems to play well in internationals. Vassell, well I must say I was impressed with him, and two goals in two starts is impressive, but again I would say he is too erratic. Basically England have no-one to fill the empty spot alongside Owen who doesn't have some major weakness.

So who should Mr. Eriksson take? Should it be Shearer? In my opinion....no. The problem with Shearer is that he would disrupt the balance in the dressing room. At least Heskey doesn't do that. In addition, Shearer would not fit into the style of football that England are now playing under Eriksson of getting the ball forward quickly through the passing of Beckham, Gerrard and Scholes.

So Mr. Hoddle, you are wrong, England do not need Shearer. I would take as my five strikers:

Owen, Heskey, Fowler, Vassell and Jansen. I don't think Jansen will make the trip, with Sheringham probably taking his place, but I think he should go, having played well this season, and being able to play the same role.

Thanks for reading

GL
Sun 21/04/02 at 12:03
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Glenn Hoddle has recently been speaking about how he believes England need Shearer for the World Cup....and I am inclined to agree with him.

Look at the probable World Cup team:

Goalkeeper - David Seaman -> A dependable, if not the most gifted, goalkeeper. Seaman has bags of experience, and that is what gives him the lead over the other keepers.

Defence - Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole -> Neville is England's most experienced defender, and all the back line have Champs league experience. All are comfortable on the ball, esp. Cole and Ferdinand. Solid.

Midfield - Beckham (hopefully!), Gerrard, Scholes, Dyer/Cole -> Whoever plays on the left, England have a World-Class midfield, of that there is absolutely NO doubt. The other three can destroy any team's midfield, even the Argentinians or French, the talent is there, and they now all have Champs League experience. Dyer and Cole give that extra attacking thrust, the ability to run with the ball which can cause problems for any defences.

Strikers - Owen, ????? -> Owen is a World-Class striker, no arguments. But who else is there. Heskey? It is my opinion that Heskey is over-rated. How many good games has he played for England? I just never feel confident of him scoring, even when one-on-one. As a Man U fan, it is the same feeling I used to have when Cole went through on goal. You just have a doubt, as feeling that isn't there when Owen, van Nistelrooy, Henry or Hasselbaink get through on goal.

Or Shearer. Do you ever really expect Shearer to miss an easy chance? Thought not. Now I am not a fan of Shearer. I was SO relieved when he quit International football. But, no-one else looks fit to fill his shoes. Fowler would actually be my choice, but he never seems to play well in internationals. Vassell, well I must say I was impressed with him, and two goals in two starts is impressive, but again I would say he is too erratic. Basically England have no-one to fill the empty spot alongside Owen who doesn't have some major weakness.

So who should Mr. Eriksson take? Should it be Shearer? In my opinion....no. The problem with Shearer is that he would disrupt the balance in the dressing room. At least Heskey doesn't do that. In addition, Shearer would not fit into the style of football that England are now playing under Eriksson of getting the ball forward quickly through the passing of Beckham, Gerrard and Scholes.

So Mr. Hoddle, you are wrong, England do not need Shearer. I would take as my five strikers:

Owen, Heskey, Fowler, Vassell and Jansen. I don't think Jansen will make the trip, with Sheringham probably taking his place, but I think he should go, having played well this season, and being able to play the same role.

Thanks for reading

GL
Sun 21/04/02 at 12:56
Regular
i would rather take shearer if he was blind and had two broken legs rather than heskey. You never feel he is going to score. the two most natural strikers england have with the exception of shearer are owen and FOWLER
Sun 21/04/02 at 13:18
"Right!!!!!™"
What do oyu to have against Heskey it becuase he is black?
Sun 21/04/02 at 13:23
Regular
"I love Dave music"
† Ð㥠Wålké® † wrote:
> What do oyu to have against Heskey it becuase he is black?

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, and I am personally insulted by that statement. Apart from the fact that I wrote nothing about his appearance in my post, I also have commented on how Cole, Ferdinand, Campbell and Dyer are all good players. To say that I am a racist is slanderous and petty.
Sun 21/04/02 at 13:24
"Right!!!!!™"
Sorry my brother told me to put it.
Sun 21/04/02 at 13:29
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Well then your brother needs to grow up, don't listen to him anymore.
Sun 21/04/02 at 18:17
Regular
"simpsons rule"
The GingerLord wrote:
> Well then your brother needs to grow up, don't listen to him anymore.

well said mate :D
Mon 22/04/02 at 12:07
"High polygon count"
The GingerLord wrote:
> Glenn Hoddle has recently been speaking about how he believes England
> need Shearer for the World Cup....and I am inclined to agree with
> him.

Well, we all know how much Hoddle knows about football. His record at Spurs is the same as Gross!

We need strikers, not goal-hangers!
Mon 22/04/02 at 12:43
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I feel that England are playing better football without Shearer.

Heskey is a good player and can produce good football but he doesn't do that regularly enough.

To me, Vassell plays better football for England then he does for Villa.
Mon 22/04/02 at 13:26
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Alan Shearer?- I dont think so..

its time to look in the future rather than the past.

I think Vassel is the kind of player we need upfront with Owen because he has that touch of unexpectability about him and the skill, hes not a bad goal scorer either, the same goes for Matt Jansen (its a pity he aint had much of a chance with England as yet)

But we need to bring in young blood now, not people like alan shearer who have retired, yes he 'was' a good player, but he wont be around for more than a few years, and England need a young team to grow up together for the future rather than most of them retire halfway, that will bring consistancy and players will know how each other plays, which will benefit England.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.